Share Your Realistic FU Money Amount

9 quadrillion Ugandan Shillings

I just broke 1M in assets. Most of that is in stocks with good dividends paying out around $15k per year. I will retire with 50% pension in 7 years. My wife will still want to work. I may do something afterwards but the goal is not to have to. The understanding however is that my mother has no money at all saved up and she is getting old. I will have to fund her.

The magic number is actually $2M with my wife working for another 12-15 years. We will be able to live comfortably. Near water.

How do I have that?

I've put 10% of my base pay into a TSP for 10 years. That is currently sitting at around $111k. I also cashed in hard around 2008 - the same year my grandad died and left me $23k by making substantial investments in the market at its lowest point. Couple that with my deployment money and a steady savings plan. I am lazy in my ROTH IRA and very rarely max it out. I have 2 brokerage accounts that I use to buy my stocks. 1 is a serious account with the bulk of my assets. The other is out of USAA and I take any money that I have left over after paying my insurance I just buy stuff randomly without a lot of thought. It has less than $10k in it. Another part of my strategy is to use multiple accounts to save in. I have one for my son that I want to have $10k for him to travel the world when he reaches 18. I have a couple of others that have a few thousand in them in some paranoid delusion that I may not be able to access my main account due to fraud or whatever and want to have access to something.

But again - my pension in 7 years will be about $4500 per month. That isn't comfortable. But with my wife working and my investments continuing to pay me dividends I should be fine with the amount of savings we have. I have a couple of screenshots that illustrate where I put the bulk of my investments. It also serves to shame me into trying to max that ROTH again.

111kmd5.png

2cekie.png

2qxao2v.jpg

10ggopi.jpg

Bragging? No. I am not rich by anyone's standards. But what I do have is a plan. Not the BEST plan. But it works. An investment strategy that will get me to the goal. And I talk to a lot of guys in the military who are fucking up the greatest opportunities they have and will end up working at range control because they find their retirement won't live up to their spending/budget. I show them in concrete terms how I do it.

So now I will show you why I do it.

I do not want to be old and poor. That is the scariest thing imaginable. Some minimum wage drug addict abusing me because I can't afford to have the best care money can buy.

10ib6na.jpg

or

5206y9.jpg

It's all about the benjamins.

10 million Can.

Buy a moderate house. Pay off debt. Pay off parents house - give them money as well. Pay off immediate families debt.

Set up a small Trust fund for my niece and nephew - for when they graduate college or university. Also set some up for the children (4) of two relatives who passed way this past year.

Should leave me with 8.5 million.

Invest.

Quit my job. Train more BJJ, travel. Open up a martial arts school geared towards the less financially able kids. Currently I do an after school kickboxing program for youth every spring. Would add BJJ, rent a place out and charge bare bones or nothing.

Travel.

Quit current job and work part time in a movie theatre to help kill time. Just something mindless and not too much stress.

Probably buy a year subscription to be a platinum member of sherdog.

What do you do and how do I do it?

IT ops. My skills are probably 5 years out of date, I sat 2 Microsoft exams in my entire career (win 2000 admin & server) and am pulling in north of $150k working for a major multinational business. I’m still better than 90% of my contemporaries, though, because I was lucky enough to serve most of my career for an extremely successful award-winning company I helped set up.

I’ve probably averaged no more than 5 hours actual work per week for the past 2 decades.

why do you have so much in the G Fund Stoic?

yes, it's a guaranteed return as it's Government Securities, but the C or S fund could do more work until you're closer to retirement....

just a thought

Comfortable would be 1 mil. FU would be 3 mil.

why do you have so much in the G Fund Stoic?

yes, it's a guaranteed return as it's Government Securities, but the C or S fund could do more work until you're closer to retirement....

just a thought

I am getting older and want to take less risk.

C and S got smashed at the years end. And we all know the market is going to tank soon. Most of my investments are in the brokerage accounts. Obviously high risk. The TSP I don't need a lot of growth - I need more stability.

14v2wkx.jpg

While the 3 and 5 year returns are amazing the 1 year was fucking horrendous. When you look at it I really only have like 5% of my portfolios and assets in the G fund. It amounts to very little.

Edit: Also, the TSP funds are not as well managed as I would like. Their portfolios don't inspire me with confidence anymore. My own picks seem to have done much better.

Im not rich, not even close. Not even close to close. But in a sense I feel like I already kinda have FU money. Most of my coworkers are so swallowed up by rent/mortgage, car payments, etc that if they lost their job. They would be fucked. A lot of people I work with would lose everything if they lost 1 paycheck....which is horrifically frightening to think about.

If I lost my job on the otherhand, I wouldn't be thrilled, but I also wouldnt be the least bit concerned. I would take a nice vacation and find a new job. My friends at work are always on their best behavior because they simply CANT risk losing their job. I kind of do what I want and make my own rules, because I dont NEED the job to survive short-medium term.

No amount, some of us just have to continue doing what has always been done. Having money is no reason to give up on advancing.
You can still do money making activities you enjoy but can say FU to anything to you don't like

800k sounds good.

But I think 500k is enough for me

$25M.

What you call Fuck You money, I call that Fuck Off money

Great post.
I would be quite comfy with $4500 monthy pension.
Are you military, a cop?

I just broke 1M in assets. Most of that is in stocks with good dividends paying out around $15k per year. I will retire with 50% pension in 7 years. My wife will still want to work. I may do something afterwards but the goal is not to have to. The understanding however is that my mother has no money at all saved up and she is getting old. I will have to fund her.

The magic number is actually $2M with my wife working for another 12-15 years. We will be able to live comfortably. Near water.

How do I have that?

I've put 10% of my base pay into a TSP for 10 years. That is currently sitting at around $111k. I also cashed in hard around 2008 - the same year my grandad died and left me $23k by making substantial investments in the market at its lowest point. Couple that with my deployment money and a steady savings plan. I am lazy in my ROTH IRA and very rarely max it out. I have 2 brokerage accounts that I use to buy my stocks. 1 is a serious account with the bulk of my assets. The other is out of USAA and I take any money that I have left over after paying my insurance I just buy stuff randomly without a lot of thought. It has less than $10k in it. Another part of my strategy is to use multiple accounts to save in. I have one for my son that I want to have $10k for him to travel the world when he reaches 18. I have a couple of others that have a few thousand in them in some paranoid delusion that I may not be able to access my main account due to fraud or whatever and want to have access to something.

But again - my pension in 7 years will be about $4500 per month. That isn't comfortable. But with my wife working and my investments continuing to pay me dividends I should be fine with the amount of savings we have. I have a couple of screenshots that illustrate where I put the bulk of my investments. It also serves to shame me into trying to max that ROTH again.

111kmd5.png

2cekie.png

2qxao2v.jpg

10ggopi.jpg

Bragging? No. I am not rich by anyone's standards. But what I do have is a plan. Not the BEST plan. But it works. An investment strategy that will get me to the goal. And I talk to a lot of guys in the military who are fucking up the greatest opportunities they have and will end up working at range control because they find their retirement won't live up to their spending/budget. I show them in concrete terms how I do it.

So now I will show you why I do it.

I do not want to be old and poor. That is the scariest thing imaginable. Some minimum wage drug addict abusing me because I can't afford to have the best care money can buy.

10ib6na.jpg

or

5206y9.jpg

It's all about the benjamins.

IT ops. My skills are probably 5 years out of date, I sat 2 Microsoft exams in my entire career (win 2000 admin & server) and am pulling in north of $150k working for a major multinational business. I’m still better than 90% of my contemporaries, though, because I was lucky enough to serve most of my career for an extremely successful award-winning company I helped set up.

I’ve probably averaged no more than 5 hours actual work per week for the past 2 decades.
Maybe I should go to back to IT then.

Back