Shane Mosley says Floyd Mayweather hits as hard as Saul Alvarez

I don't think Floyd will have a very hard time with Canelo and I've even said before I think Floyd could maybe even stop him. Canelo's power might be overrated and Floyd's underrated, but he still hits harder than Floyd. Doesn't mean he's devastating. Devastating would be Bailey or Wlad or Matthysse etc.

What makes you so sure Canelo hits harder than Floyd? How could you possibly know?

See, I've been hard on the guy from the beginning because he was an obvious hype job. I do think he's coming into his own now though.

That said, I don't think hes a great puncher. He has shown the ability to break guys down but theres no real KO power in his hands.

People say that Alvarez is a bigger puncher than Floyd, I would say Mosley was less willing to fight when Floyd started touching him than in his fight with Alvarez.

that had more to do with floyd's skill. you don't open up as much on an opponent you KNOW you won't land on.

I hate threads about Floyd... Doesn't matter if you are here or boxingscene.... His fans will come out in full force and try to discredit anything you say that might slight him even a little. Even something as logical as a natural JMW with some pop having more power then Floyd. HOW OUTRAGEOUS!!!

I said from the beginning that Canelo's power is overrated, which it is. That mainly stems from the fact HBO goes off about it.

What makes you so sure Canelo hits harder than Floyd? How could you possibly know?

It's called common sense. I'll walk you through it if you don't feel like thinking today:

A bona fide 154lb fighter usually hits harder than a guy who could be fighting at 140 if he bothered to cut weight. A guy who fights at 154lbs at 22y/o old probably can muster up a harder punch than a guy like Floyd who was fighting at 135 at the same age.

Canelo started his career at 140lbs when he was 15 y/o, Floyd started his pro career at 130lbs when he was 19. The heaviest Floyd has ever weighed for a fight was 151lbs against Cotto whereas Canelo continually weighs in at the JMW limit of 154.

If people want to argue that Canelo isn't as hard of a puncher as some people give him credit for, then I'm cool with that and I actually agree. If people want to argue that Floyd hits harder than people give him credit for, then I agree with that too. But if people want to say Floyd hits as hard or harder than Canelo then I have to call bullshit.

I'm a big fan of Floyd's and I don't see how it takes anything away from the guy when I say he can't punch as hard as somebody who is naturally a much bigger person than he is. Size isn't everything but usually a bigger person can hit harder than someone smaller than them. And b/c I think Canelo can punch harder than Floyd doesn't mean that Canelo is a devastating puncher. It just means I think he hits harder than Floyd.

Wait, I wrote all this shit and just realized that I haven't fought both of them so I couldn't possibly know these things. I'm just talking out of my ass I guess, lol.

Didn't Mosely also claim that Canelo was as fast as Mayweather and Pacquiao?

I think that he's starting to confuse his beatdowns. Canelo has underrated speed and Mayweather is a strong guy with a decent KO%....but I don't have any second thoughts as to who I would say is faster and who hits harder out of the two.

Paulie was at 140 at 22. Hits WAY harder than Floyd.

I hate threads about Floyd... Doesn't matter if you are here or boxingscene.... His fans will come out in full force and try to discredit anything you say that might slight him even a little. Even something as logical as a natural JMW with some pop having more power then Floyd. HOW OUTRAGEOUS!!!

I said from the beginning that Canelo's power is overrated, which it is. That mainly stems from the fact HBO goes off about it.

Well said, sir.

I banged the drum heavily for ghost to beat Berto. I would be very nervous picking him over floyd. Slim hates floyd and to give him credit is very open about that fact. That is causing the reaction.

If he has called this fight right I will metaphorically fly to Boston to give him his well deserved high five.

Canelo, second only to Maidana is the most improved fighter this year...

Canelo (I'm still not buying the hype yet) has made leaps and bounds in terms of skill, boxing acumen etc.

And to play Devils advocate, he did KTFO Baldomir who rarely gets hurt.

I don't agree that Canelo nor Maidana is the most improved this year. I honestly think that title should belong to Gabriel Rosado. Went from being smoked in a round by Angulo, to a very TV-friendly fighter who is skilled, and earned a Title shot in early 2013.

And as for the Baldomir KO, yes that was impressive and no one should take that away from Canelo. But he has yet to repeat the same feat on guys with lesser beards.

Not saying he is number one, why do you think Ricky Burns has come through so strong?

I don't agree that Canelo nor Maidana is the most improved this year. I honestly think that title should belong to Gabriel Rosado. Went from being smoked in a round by Angulo, to a very TV-friendly fighter who is skilled, and earned a Title shot in early 2013.

And as for the Baldomir KO, yes that was impressive and no one should take that away from Canelo. But he has yet to repeat the same feat on guys with lesser beards.

I can't comment on Rosado as I've not seen many of his fights, but in regards to Maidana...he is a complete different fighter from the one's we have seen against Victor ortiz, Amir Khan etc...

this guy has gone from straight up brawler, to a boxer/brawler...mixing up combinations, head movement...

I hated that Canelo - Mosely fight. Shane thought he was scoring by throwing combos that hit nothing but air. He tried to look busy but didnt come to win the fight.

I can't comment on Rosado as I've not seen many of his fights, but in regards to Maidana...he is a complete different fighter from the one's we have seen against Victor ortiz, Amir Khan etc...

this guy has gone from straight up brawler, to a boxer/brawler...mixing up combinations, head movement...

That's true, but Maidana was NEVER a chump. Rosado was all but written-off.

Good answer.

I honestly think that title should belong to Gabriel Rosado. Went from being smoked in a round by Angulo, to a very TV-friendly fighter who is skilled, and earned a Title shot in early 2013.

I hope has picked up bunch. He is going to need it on the 19th. He has a steep hill to climb.

He's not a dumb fighter, anymore. And his trainer is a pretty good thinker himself. I make him a live dog against any top rated fighter. He may not win, but he won't look like shit again.

I remember him in some fights before Angulo. I cant remember seeing him since then. I recall him having some physical tools and real good natural movement. He was just overwhelmed by the Dog. I did not expect that BTW.

I dont think Gennady will come after him the way Angulo would , the constant pressure will not be there , so that is in his favor. I hope he really has made massive improvements and he does well. Like i said he caught my eye at one point.
This is a big ask for where he was three years ago. I am not sure i would have made this one if it was up to me.

anyway. one more reason to look forward to the 19th.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back