Shamrock talks Dana: He knows sh*t

Although I wasn't there to experience it which is why I claimed to not know about that time I do know the history of things and I can always go back and research people's records. He lost to Suzuki twice, he fought to a draw and lost to Royce, he never fought Frank, he fought to another draw with Oleg.. I mean where is the greatness? I keep searching for it trying to prove myself wrong but two wins over Bas doesn't do it for me. As for the environment of MMA at the time, I can't speak on that.

Fight finder lol.. you left out he beat Funaki x2, Mo Smith, Severn 1.

No you shouldn't speak on it if you don't know, just like all the Fedor haters who claim he never was any good..

He was a beast!
ken2.jpg

Fight finder lol.. you left out he beat Funaki x2, Mo Smith, Severn 1.

No you shouldn't speak on it if you don't know, just like all the Fedor haters who claim he never was any good..

He was a beast!
ken2.jpg

I've watched like 70% of Fedor's fights and he was amazing but I didn't go to fight finder I went to Wikipedia after I posted to make sure I wasn't a jerk.. lol but on star power alone I can't speak on that because at the time I was picking my nose and playing backyard football with the rest of the 4th graders.. it seems like he made most of his splash in Pancrase which applies to the argument of the UFC not owing him shit but you're right. I shouldn't have responded out of emotion to the ladder part of his career that I did witness and not acknowledge the run he had years prior. Although, I will say he wasn't that entertaining in the fights that I saw it was more what led up to the fight that got me excited.

I've watched like 70% of Fedor's fights and he was amazing but I didn't go to fight finder I went to Wikipedia after I posted to make sure I wasn't a jerk.. lol but on star power alone I can't speak on that because at the time I was picking my nose and playing backyard football with the rest of the 4th graders.. it seems like he made most of his splash in Pancrase which applies to the argument of the UFC not owing him shit but you're right. I shouldn't have responded out of emotion to the ladder part of his career that I did witness and not acknowledge the run he had years prior. Although, I will say he wasn't that entertaining in the fights that I saw it was more what led up to the fight that got me excited.

Lol

No problem.

Looks like we found 04jamell/Idonotbelieveit's new account :icon_lol:

Much respect to Ken Shamrock.

The guy tells it like it isn't and doesn't bow down to anyone's bullshit.

If it weren't were guys like Shamrock, the UFC would have been out of business a long time ago. His fued with Tito is what kept the UFC from going under.

i've been saying for ever that it wasn't forest vs bonner that made zuffa's ufc work, they would have already been out of business well before that. it was shamrock vs ortiz. that is what first made a profit and it was done off of shamrock's name far more than tito, though tito was the perfect guy for the rivalry.

i've also been saying that people claiming tito ducked chuck to fight shamrock, like dana white claims, don't realize it was dana and zuffa who wanted tito to make that fight. they knew that was where the money was.

dana white and zuffa have been trying to change history for some time, but for those of us who remember, they can't change that shit.

I don't agree with Hollywood Nicky most of the time but the UFC survived after the Gracies left due to both Shamrocks, Tito, Randy and guys who traveled the country battling state commissions, while Fertitta was a regulator doing MMA no favors. Actually, often they were before boxing commissions. People don't remember but the pre-Zuffa fighters sometimes could be found online in chat rooms, not like here on Sherdog, but in real-time, unorganized, non-scripted for an hour at a time.

AND the fighters agreed to fight for peanuts - often $2,000 a fight or less to make it happen.

Interesting read:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/9/27/4777196/ken-shamrock-on-bamma-fallout-beef-with-dana-white-ufc

Talks about Dana owing him money.

He also says this, which to be honest I sort of agree with:

Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Griffin did a lot for the UFC because they were in people's homes. People thought it was such a great fight. I don't agree with that. I think it was an entertaining fight. A great fight would be head movement, counter punches, all those things. They stood in front of each other and did rock em sock em robots with hardly any skill at all, but that's okay, because it was entertaining. Let's call it what it was.

While I love MMA I do feel that a large portion of fans like the type of fights that resembles a bar fight. Sort of how Leonard Garcia gets love for his "brawls"...

I agree with his take on the Bonnar and Griffin fight aswell. I think one of the best stand up fights of all time was Machida vs Shogun 1

"Dana told me that I was supposed to get money on anything over 100K buys. So he comes to me after the fight and says, ‘We did 99K buys"

Lol @ this. u have to be suspicious with those numbers, hahahaha.

Also, props to shamrock for calling out garcia. i'd rather watch some lay n pray then watch garcia fight.

I think Ken is seeing things a bit skewed. Nobody thought Griffin/Bonnar was a technical fight, but it was a war and lots of people had more emotional investment in it due to seeing the fighters on TUF. Tito was doing his best to make the sport mainstream and he deserves credit, as for Ken I really don't know how much he deserves. The UFC boom undeniably happened post TUF not post Tito/Shamrock 1.

Lol, Ken had legit skills. catch wrestling, steroids don't teach that.

Barry Bonds had great bat speed and was a great hitter overall, steroids dont teach that either. Obviously steroids wernt the reason he hit 74 HR's in a season.

I think Ken is seeing things a bit skewed. Nobody thought Griffin/Bonnar was a technical fight, but it was a war and lots of people had more emotional investment in it due to seeing the fighters on TUF. Tito was doing his best to make the sport mainstream and he deserves credit, as for Ken I really don't know how much he deserves. The UFC boom undeniably happened post TUF

Ken was their biggest draw from 2002-2006, talking Zuffa days.. SEg days he owned too.

Ken was their biggest draw from 2002-2006, talking Zuffa days.. SEg days he owned too.

That's not the time period we're really discussing, though. I give him credit as a pioneer. But it sounds like he thinks the UFC explosion is more to due with his feud with Tito than TUF and Forrest/Bonnar and I disagree with that.

Barry Bonds had great bat speed and was a great hitter overall, steroids dont teach that either. Obviously steroids wernt the reason he hit 74 HR's in a season.

Ken was a grappling master, that is not steroids, he got taught by the best, Karl Gotch, Funaki and Suzuki, technique..

That's not the time period we're really discussing, though. I give him credit as a pioneer. But it sounds like he thinks the UFC explosion is more to due with his feud with Tito than TUF and Forrest/Bonnar and I disagree with that.

Well he kept them alive during that time, and of course who did Dana want to main event their most important event of all time? Ken Shamrock.. TUF 1

Ken carried them but gets no respect.

I think Ken is seeing things a bit skewed. Nobody thought Griffin/Bonnar was a technical fight, but it was a war and lots of people had more emotional investment in it due to seeing the fighters on TUF. Tito was doing his best to make the sport mainstream and he deserves credit, as for Ken I really don't know how much he deserves. The UFC boom undeniably happened post TUF not post Tito/Shamrock 1.

Except one guy got inducted into the Hall of Fame solely based on that one fight.

Ken owes a lot of people money himself. Pot, meet kettle.

Disagree completely. 2 of his 5 fights were on free tv. He was 1-4 with all 4 losses being one-sided.

Tito, Randy, Chuck and Hughes were just as big (if not bigger) draws.

there aren't many fighters in MMA history who can say they are higher regarded than Ken Shamrock. he was literally the world's most dangerous man when he was the super fight champ.

Back