Shamrock talks Dana: He knows sh*t

amazing at the amount of people who don't understand how important shamrock was to mma.

Ken is a legit pioneer for MMA but I feel like he and Tito are kind of butthurt that they did a lot of the work to get MMA where it is but missed the payday for it.

I'm sure Dana isn't the most upstanding guy in the world but it's all hearsay at this point. Ken and Tito may have given the UFC a lifeline, but there is 0 doubt that, talent or not, Bonnar vs Griffin was the singular moment that launched the UFC (and MMA) to a whole new level.

I was watching the original UFC's back in the mid '90s and I can tell you he was a very real fighter who was tough as nails. Today he is regularly disrespected by those who were still playing with power rangers when he was one of the top guys in the sport. These people dont know shit.

Well said. It's amazing that people fresh into mma as recent as five years ago get so cocky. They go from casual fans to "hardcore" seemingly overnight and talk lots of shit.

To the ts,

Ken was fairly accurate about the buy rates. Dana did indeed lie to him if he said 99k. Ken may not be as articulate as he was in the 90s in recent interviews, but the dude never struck me as a liar. Meanwhile, Dana White....bleh,why even bother. Everyone already knows the horror stories.

What's your point?

Someone said no no one thought the fight was great-and yet it is the basis for someone's induction into the sport's hall of fame. Personally I think its an embarrassment. If you set the bar that low there will be more people in the HOF than out of it.

I found out about mma cause of TUF (sue me) as a 15 year old in a low income family you cant exactly just order up PPV's or hit up the bar to watch them.

But Bonnar vs. Griffin was like mind blowing to me, who didn't know shit about technique blah blah blah that was like THE fight of the century at the time.

After the years of watching I can honestly say that fight was atrocious, and I honestly think Bonnar won that fight hahaha

Someone said no no one thought the fight was great-and yet it is the basis for someone's induction into the sport's hall of fame. Personally I think its an embarrassment. If you set the bar that low there will be more people in the HOF than out of it.

I said no one thought the fight was technical, which was Shamrocks big criticism.

I agree with him. I had seen a few events when I was younger but was never really "into it" like I am now. Until Ken vs Tito II was put on Spike, which IIRC was their first cable televised event. I as well as many other took the bait there, and Zuffa set the hook with the first season of TUF. So yes, Griffin and Bonnar may have gave the penultimate push into mainstream, but the way I remember it, Ken and Tito were the ones that got them on cable.

Shamrock is a legend and at times can say some of the most off the wall stuff.

I agree with him. I had seen a few events when I was younger but was never really "into it" like I am now. Until Ken vs Tito II was put on Spike, which IIRC was their first cable televised event. I as well as many other took the bait there, and Zuffa set the hook with the first season of TUF. So yes, Griffin and Bonnar may have gave the penultimate push into mainstream, but the way I remember it, Ken and Tito were the ones that got them on cable.

Ken was pioneer and MMA legend. He and few others literally carried the sport on their backs in the early days. He deserves much respect for that.

ken shamrock is a legend

but its sad what he will do these days to stay relevant

I agree with the last paragraph.

Dana does talk a lot of shit to people who make him money.

It's not just like he's a boss criticizing employees either. He does it with this tough guy ego filled bravado because he knows he has leverage over them.

It's pathetic.

This was far more respect that I thought we'd hear from Ken. It could've sounded way more bitter.

Back