Shamrock talks Dana: He knows sh*t

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by The Eye, Sep 27, 2013.

1. The Eye

The Eye Purple Belt

Interesting read:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/9/27/4777196/ken-shamrock-on-bamma-fallout-beef-with-dana-white-ufc

Talks about Dana owing him money.

He also says this, which to be honest I sort of agree with:

Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Griffin did a lot for the UFC because they were in people's homes. People thought it was such a great fight. I don't agree with that. I think it was an entertaining fight. A great fight would be head movement, counter punches, all those things. They stood in front of each other and did rock em sock em robots with hardly any skill at all, but that's okay, because it was entertaining. Let's call it what it was.

While I love MMA I do feel that a large portion of fans like the type of fights that resembles a bar fight. Sort of how Leonard Garcia gets love for his "brawls"...

2. TFanatic

TFanatic Silver Belt

Great fights like Ken vs Severn 2?

3. The Real Pedro

The Real Pedro Red Belt

P4P worst fight ever. Ken vs Royce 2 is also top 5 worst all time imo.

4. Fujita

Fujita Brown Belt

Agreed.

5. Fujita

Fujita Brown Belt

First fight was.

6. tappedtostrikes**

tappedtostrikes** Blue Belt

He's right. Forrest vs Bonnar was a pathetic display of fighting, neither of them have any power whatsoever (especially for being 230 lbs) and some of the worst technique ever. It was sloppy bar brawl between 2 guys that can't throw a punch to save their lives.

7. DarthChen731

DarthChen731 Gold Belt

Yeah, head movement, counter punches... all the kind of stuff that you're so famous for, right Ken?

Ken basically just sounds bitter about everything all the time these days.

8. faustian

faustian THE LOOSE CANNON Platinum Member

Shammy >>>>> Dana

9. Flexwave2003

Flexwave2003 International Playboy

You know Ken has been on a role lately. Ive always had a lot of respect for him. I was watching the original UFC's back in the mid '90s and I can tell you he was a very real fighter who was tough as nails. Today he is regularly disrespected by those who were still playing with power rangers when he was one of the top guys in the sport. These people dont know shit.

Much respect Mr. Shamrock. You're a legend in this sport.

10. GrindingANARCHY

GrindingANARCHY Banned Banned

He's a legend that went broke and turned into a joke.
    Sad but true.

11. GetWrecked

GetWrecked Blue Belt

12. BearGrounds

BearGrounds A great many scalps.

On the frontier, west of the Hudson river.
    Both men deserve credit for building the sport. How much to each man doesn't really concern me.

Verbal promise of money? That's not how people do business unfortunately. Ken should have seen that one coming.

Bonnar v Griffen was great for what it was.

13. faustian

faustian THE LOOSE CANNON Platinum Member

All the early guys who put this sport on the map -- Shammy, Coleman, Randleman, etc -- got robbed of a lot of money imo

14. RawDawgBob

RawDawgBob Like's; 100,000,000,000.69

Ken is right. He was a huge..if not the main draw in the early UFC days. Also, his first fight with Tito was huge. I was there for that fight, it definatly gave the UFC a huge boost.

15. Torrid

Torrid Cunning Linguist

For some reason I was thinking Frank the whole time, then looked at the title again.

Shammy's problem? He was pretty much on the tail end of his prime by the time the UFC rolled around. The fact that he's still fighting is pretty incredible, if it wasn't for him pulling out and stealing money consistently.

16. Hollywood Nicky

Hollywood Nicky Banned Banned

i've been saying for ever that it wasn't forest vs bonner that made zuffa's ufc work, they would have already been out of business well before that. it was shamrock vs ortiz. that is what first made a profit and it was done off of shamrock's name far more than tito, though tito was the perfect guy for the rivalry.

i've also been saying that people claiming tito ducked chuck to fight shamrock, like dana white claims, don't realize it was dana and zuffa who wanted tito to make that fight. they knew that was where the money was.

dana white and zuffa have been trying to change history for some time, but for those of us who remember, they can't change that shit.

17. Godzilla3232

Godzilla3232 Red Belt

He's right. Don't get me wrong, it was a very entertaining fight that happened at the perfect time to really help get MMA mainstream attention, but calling it one of the best fights gives the wrong impression. As the sport continues to evolve that fight probably shouldn't continue to be heralded as a great display of MMA.

18. Fujita

Fujita Brown Belt

Agreed, well said.

19. madjiujitsuish

madjiujitsuish White Belt

OK. Let's all remember for a brief second. Ken Shamrock was a star when MMA was nothing. He was a household name when MMA was synonymous with bar room brawls, despite his superior technique. Dana White was a boxing promoter who got lucky when the Fertitta bros went slumming. We, as MMA fans, owe EVERYTHING to guys like Ken Shamrock, Don Frye, Sakuraba, Tank Abbott, etc. Nowadays, they're an afterthought, but we must remember where we came from. MMA was in its infancy and guys like the Shamrock bros fought for the love of the game. There was no big payout in sight ever. They fought because they LOVE. TO. FIGHT. PERIOD. They didn't fight to win on points because there were no points. Every GSP fanboy owes their soul to Ken Shamrock and his compatriots. That being said, all of those guys would get whooped up on by the new breed. I'm just sayin', we should be respectful fans and give respect where respect is due. That is all. Dana White should be paying Ken Shamrock's rent. That's all I know.

20. jdubb459

jdubb459 Blue Belt

Honestly, you don't really know what you're talking about.. Ken left the WWE for the UFC for a reason. If you had an employee like that you'd fire him too. His fights sucked and he talked constant shit about the company he worked for. I'd fire him in 2 seconds.