• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social SG wants warnings on Social Media similar to tobacco use warnings

I’m sure when they used to put pictures of those black lungs on cigarettes it stopped a few people
I don’t remember ever seeing black lungs on cigarette packs, but I dunno, I feel people have a “well that won’t happen to me “ mentality when it comes to those things.

Now tv ads and those things yeah I think that stuff helps.

There's one way to find out for sure, and it doesn't sound like it'll cost consumers a dime or cause an undue burden to social media companies.
True. I guess we'll see.

I don’t remember ever seeing black lungs on cigarette packs, but I dunno, I feel people have a “well that won’t happen to me “ mentality when it comes to those things.

A friend of mine was on vacation in Mexico and he sent me a picture of a cigarette pack with a picture of a bare chested woman missing one breast. I remarked that as a kid I might have found that more horny than scary.

Thank you for proving. You have no argument whatsoever and it's just a s*** position that comes from a religious ideation about small government and corporation worship.

This is a really, really dumb thread.
You don't understand anything being said here so move along.

You chime in on something without understanding it, call me names because that's all you've got in way of a response due to your lack of understanding. You've attributed things to my position that I didn't say (because you don't understand it).

So I say again . . . you are a hypocrite.

But I'll post it again to see if you are capable of understanding:

Fact: There are already lazy parents who don't pay attention to anything their kids do NOW.

Opinion: This is simply another way to enable them to continue being a lazy, uninvolved parent who will now assume that "the government will protect my kids" because of some warning on Instagram.

Fact: If a parent isn't already involved and informed about their kid's activities on social media, their phone, or what games they're playing this isn't going to make them more informed. BECAUSE THEY DON'T CARE AS IT IS.

You don't understand anything being said here so move along.

You chime in on something without understanding it, call me names because that's all you've got in way of a response due to your lack of understanding. You've attributed things to my position that I didn't say (because you don't understand it).

So I say again . . . you are a hypocrite.

But I'll post it again to see if you are capable of understanding:

Fact: There are already lazy parents who don't pay attention to anything their kids do NOW.

Opinion: This is simply another way to enable them to continue being a lazy, uninvolved parent who will now assume that "the government will protect my kids" because of some warning on Instagram.

Fact: If a parent isn't already involved and informed about their kid's activities on social media, their phone, or what games they're playing this isn't going to make them more informed. BECAUSE THEY DON'T CARE AS IT IS.

It's not true that all parents already know that there's a dopamine addiction that goes with social media and they also don't already know that corporations hire high-end psychologists to create addictive platforms. Lots and lots of parents don't know this and there are many good parents who would change things if they did know it.

What doesn't make any sense at all is for you guys to disingenuously suck the dick of corporations and let them manipulate children and people into being addicted and not make that a known quantity.

There's also literally no connection whatsoever between the government informing people that something is dangerous and lazy parenting. That's just the stupidest talking point I've ever heard in my entire life. What this really is is large corporations not wanting people to be told about their manipulative tactics in creating platforms that are addictive and you sucking the dick of corporations and big money to let them get away with it.

I wasn't aware that the Surgeon General wanted to do this until I saw this thread. Seems like a cool thread to me. :cool:
Making people aware is good pretending that a surgeon general warning will create lazy parenting is maybe the stupidest lie I've ever heard in my entire life and something only someone sucking the dick of a corporation could come up with to try to lie about ro get other people on board against a policy that will help everybody and harm nobody.

Well, it might hurt the bottom line of corporations and social media companies, but since they are lying manipulative bastards, it's okay that they're evil deeds are brought to light.

Last edited:
It's not true that all parents already know that there's a dopamine addiction that goes with social media and they also don't already know that corporations hire high-end psychologists to create addictive platforms. Lots and lots of parents don't know this and there are many good parents who would change things if they did know it.

What doesn't make any sense at all is for you guys to disingenuously suck the dick of corporations and let them manipulate children and people into being addicted and not make that a known quantity.

You have completely missed the entire point of what I've said (again).

Parents use TV shows, tablets and phones as baby-sitters. Many of them don't care one bit about how accessing that media impacts their kids. Because again, they themselves are addicted to that stuff as well. They're not even paying attention to the world around them.

And please Mister Genius, show me where I said corporations should have free reign to influence kids at their discretion. You can't, that's yet another lie you've decided to tell. Why? Why are you doing the exact thing you cry about others doing to you?

There's also literally no connection whatsoever between the government informing people that something is dangerous and lazy parenting. That's just the stupidest talking point I've ever heard in my entire life. What this really is is large corporations not wanting people to be told about their manipulative tactics in creating platforms that are addictive and you sucking the dick of corporations and big money to let them get away with it.

What aren't you understanding? Lazy parents aren't suddenly going to begin caring more because of this warning. Those who do will already be monitoring their kids' online activities regardless of what the government tells them.

I have not one time said I support a corporation making big money off of making users addicted to their platforms. Not one time. You liar.

Making people aware is good pretending that a surgeon general warning will create lazy parenting is maybe the stupidest lie I've ever heard in my entire life and something only someone sucking the dick of a corporation could come up with to try to lie about ro get other people on board against a policy that will help everybody in harm nobody.

Well, it might hurt the bottom line of corporations and social media companies, but since they are lying manipulative bastards, it's okay that they're evil deeds are brought to light.

You're the biggest lying hypocrite on here . . . you don't even understand what I've said but have still decided to push some lie.

I think the warning is stupid. I think parents should freaking parent and already be monitoring their kids' activities. We don't need the government telling us to do so. Well, most of us don't. You stupid people who don't understand things might.

Just stop responding to my posts and save us both the time. I'm tired of correcting you.

But you won't . . . you can't help yourself. You think you're right all of the time and can't stand to be told you're not.

Maybe you need this SG warning.

You're the biggest lying hypocrite on here . . . you don't even understand what I've said but have still decided to push some lie.

I think the warning is stupid. I think parents should freaking parent and already be monitoring their kids' activities. We don't need the government telling us to do so. Well, most of us don't. You stupid people who don't understand things might.

Just stop responding to my posts and save us both the time. I'm tired of correcting you.

But you won't . . . you can't help yourself. You think you're right all of the time and can't stand to be told you're not.

Maybe you need this SG warning.

Well you're wrong about this that's the thing, lots and lots of parents don't realize how damaging social media is and I'm talking the kind of parents I hang around with who are educated and have medical degrees and psychological degrees and such.

You're also not being honest here because the government isn't telling you what to do. That's an absolute lie. It's telling you that there's a risk and making people generally aware that there's a real risk here that can damage children.

This is a clear role the government can play and make a massive difference in the well-being of children and families.. So of course bootlicking corporate worshipers will be against it. LOL.

Your only point is that it will make parents lazy and that is a ridiculous and stupid point that you can't possibly defend with any kind of reasoning or facts or even a logical argument. It's just a knee-jerk idiotic point that comes from a different position altogether which is that republicans want to worship corporations and hate government so they can't admit when it can do good and have to lie about that.

You may not want corporations to make money off getting children addicted to online media, but you as sure as s*** don't want the government to let the people know that's what's happening. So you are supporting the corporate manipulation here.

This position that you posted about is one of the stupidest positions I've ever heard from the Republican party. They will literally fight to keep people unaware of risks. That is so f****** stupid.

And you cannot make a single, coherent point to defend it either.

Last edited:

They had this overseas in Asia first then I saw it in Europe around 2015? It's either black lung or person dying. It's like one of those don't do meth ads.

What is the definition of social media exactly? Isn't Sherdog a form of social media?

How do you regulate social media exactly outside banning it completely or imposing age minimums?
- I think they meant social medias that make people idiots, like Tick tock.

It differs from country to country. Up here we have black hearts, black lungs, diseased tongues, gross teeth, diseased brains, and possibly the funniest warning of all, a limp cigarette to represent impotence.
Don't forget cancer patients still hauling on darts!

Oooh I remember this guy...

images

Don't forget cancer patients still hauling on darts!
Yeah, the people ones are more recent. They got a guy with a hole in his throat too. There's a weird one though, where there's a mother and daughter who are just smokers. There's nothing wrong with them, other than just smoking. The picture makes them look crack whores. LOL.

Back