• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social SG wants warnings on Social Media similar to tobacco use warnings

spamking

The world is your Indian taco
Platinum Member
Reaction score
This clown is one of the many reasons I retired from the USPHS early.

I agree with NetChoice . . . this is just another thing that will create more lazy parents.

NetChoice, a trade organization representing some social media companies, said in a statement shared with USA TODAY that the responsibility should be on the parents to protect their children's mental health, not the government or tech companies.

They say this... those f****** corporate c**** while intentionally making social media addictive in every way possible. For f***** sake, how long do we make excuses for these lying manipulating assholes and just set some clear warnings for kids and parents? Many parents don't even know how damaging it is for God sakes. It's not going to create lazy parents. That's such a straw man. It's going to create informed parents. Lazy parents allow their kids to be on social media and are on it themselves instead of living out healthy relations with family.

This is a clear area where government intervention is a really good thing.

Last edited:
I don't have an issue with enabling parents to make informed decisions.

We have multi-billion dollar corporations pumping an intentionally addictive product that is damaging to kids. I'm not even certain that should be legal but a warning is the least they can do.

The average parent doesn't understand that this is intentionally and exhaustively engineered to kick off their children's dopamine system (the brain's "reward" system) the way sex and drugs would. And if they get the hook in them young, they don't have to peddle their product anymore, because the kids will beg for it. It's pretty sick.

They say this... those f****** corporate c**** while intentionally making social media addictive in every way possible. For f***** sake, how long do we make excuses for these lying manipulating assholes and just set some clear warnings for kids and parents? Many parents don't even know how damaging it is for God sakes. It's not going to create lazy parents. That's such a straw man. It's going to create informed parents. Lazy parents allow their kids to be on social media and are on it themselves instead of living out healthy relations with family.

This is a clear area where government intervention is a really good thing.
Sigh. There are already lazy parents who don't pay attention to anything their kids do NOW. This is simply another way to enable them to continue being a lazy, uninvolved parent who will now assume that "the government will protect my kids" because of some warning on Instagram. If a parent isn't already involved and informed about their kid's activities on social media, their phone or what games they're playing this isn't going to make them more informed.

I don't have an issue with enabling parents to make informed decisions.
Do you honestly believe if a parent isn't already doing this, that they'll suddenly change how they parent because of what the government has warned them about?

Sigh. There are already lazy parents who don't pay attention to anything their kids do NOW. This is simply another way to enable them to continue being a lazy, uninvolved parent who will now assume that "the government will protect my kids" because of some warning on Instagram. If a parent isn't already involved and informed about their kid's activities on social media, their phone or what games they're playing this isn't going to make them more informed.
This is the stupidest and most disingenuous argument I've ever heard. It's not even an argument. It's just a slanderous insinuation intentionally designed by some corporate c*** to protect profits.

You are really dumb if you think being informed will create lazy parenting.... You can't even make a logical argument for it. You're just saying it.

Do you honestly believe if a parent isn't already doing this, that they'll suddenly change how they parent because of what the government has warned them about?

I honestly believe it can't make things worse.

I honestly don't believe that the average parent knows that "addicted to their phones" literally decribes a dopamine based dependency. I think they should.

I honestly believe there are a lot less teen smokers today than when I was a kid and while there are a multitude of reasons for that, the surgeon general's warning absolutely factors in.

I’m sure when they used to put pictures of those black lungs on cigarettes it stopped a few people
Maybe a few. Decades of education/legislation stemmed the tide. Those warning labels did little if anything at all. It's a product that has a pretty damn high mortality rate. That alone will make people second guess using the product. It also gets to be more trouble than it's worth, when you literally can't smoke anywhere, but on your own property and "some" outdoor areas. It's also not considered "cool" anymore, which really put a dent in new adopters. The cool kids vape now.

Social media will be a lot trickier, though, since it's trying to warn people about the dangers of...conversation and interaction. If they're gonna put a waning label on anything, it should be little convenient devices that allow you to stay plugged into social media 24/7. Maybe put age restrictions on smart phones?

I know this sounds silly but we are pretty deep into this era of phony outrage created by bots, which if they aren't will soon be undisguisable from real posters. Trump has literally told Russia that he will pull out the U.S.'s involvement if elected. I don't think people really understand the wave of bot attacks on social media that are going to push for his election. There is so much on the line that it is impossible to really fathom how much resources will be put towards this. Same thing is being done by Israel to reframe what is happening in Palestine and giving the appearance that anti-semitism is some how rampent in the U.S.. Social media is more dangerous than fake news because it works on manipulating herd mentality. If people like you believe something, you are much more open to it than if fed fake news on TV.

This is the stupidest and most disingenuous argument I've ever heard. It's not even an argument. It's just a slanderous insinuation intentionally designed by some corporate c*** to protect profits.

You are really dumb if you think being informed will create lazy parenting.... You can't even make a logical argument for it. You're just saying it.
Oh shove it. You don't even understand the argument if you're acting like this . . . and have resorted to name-calling. You do nothing on here except whine about people contributing things to you that you claim you never said are doing that exact thing here. You complain about being some misunderstood poster and have still decided to purposefully misinterpret what I've said anyway.

You are a hypocrite.

Fact: There are already lazy parents who don't pay attention to anything their kids do NOW.

Opinion: This is simply another way to enable them to continue being a lazy, uninvolved parent who will now assume that "the government will protect my kids" because of some warning on Instagram.

Fact: If a parent isn't already involved and informed about their kid's activities on social media, their phone, or what games they're playing this isn't going to make them more informed. BECAUSE THEY DON'T CARE AS IT IS.

I honestly believe it can't make things worse.

I honestly don't believe that the average parent knows that "addicted to their phones" literally decribes a dopamine based dependency. I think they should.

I honestly believe there are a lot less teen smokers today than when I was a kid and while there are a multitude of reasons for that, the surgeon general's warning absolutely factors in.
Those same parents are just as addicted to their phones/devices. They're too involved in their addiction to worry about what their kids are doing. The parents that truly need some warning like this won't pay attention to it. Much like the "are you 18" question that gets asked to access a gun-related website. This won't do much of anything.

While the impact of social media addiction, etc. is most definitely a problem, I don't think this warning will have the same impact as Luther Terry's warning about smoking.

Those same parents are just as addicted to their phones/devices. They're too involved in their addiction to worry about what their kids are doing. The parents that truly need some warning like this won't pay attention to it. Much like the "are you 18" question that gets asked to access a gun-related website. This won't do much of anything.

While the impact of social media addiction, etc. is most definitely a problem, I don't think this warning will have the same impact as Luther Terry's warning about smoking.

There's one way to find out for sure, and it doesn't sound like it'll cost consumers a dime or cause an undue burden to social media companies.

It's pretty pathetic that our country is so uneducated that we need warning labels on everything to continuously let us know how stupid we are.

What is the definition of social media exactly? Isn't Sherdog a form of social media?

How do you regulate social media exactly outside banning it completely or imposing age minimums?

Oh shove it. You don't even understand the argument if you're acting like this . . . and have resorted to name-calling. You do nothing on here except whine about people contributing things to you that you claim you never said are doing that exact thing here. You complain about being some misunderstood poster and have still decided to purposefully misinterpret what I've said anyway.

You are a hypocrite.

Fact: There are already lazy parents who don't pay attention to anything their kids do NOW.

Opinion: This is simply another way to enable them to continue being a lazy, uninvolved parent who will now assume that "the government will protect my kids" because of some warning on Instagram.

Fact: If a parent isn't already involved and informed about their kid's activities on social media, their phone, or what games they're playing this isn't going to make them more informed. BECAUSE THEY DON'T CARE AS IT IS.
Thank you for proving. You have no argument whatsoever and it's just a s*** position that comes from a religious ideation about small government and corporation worship.

This is a really, really dumb thread.

Back