sex of an author

Any of you guys ever read Gillian Flynn? She's a badass female author.

I read Playboy for the articles.

Not really, some of my favorite authors are women. Anne Mccaffrey, Patricia Cornwell, V.C Andrews, Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman, Kathy Reichs, Jane Auel,and Faye Kellerman.

I have some JV Jones and Ursulla Le Guin I intend on reading at some point.

Don't really think of it but I guess the vast majority of stuff I read is written by men.

Kinda embarrassed to say I've never read a book by a female before. Not because I wouldn't, just they tend to stay away from my favourite genres (As far as I know anyway)

Let me start a ball rolling on great works that our demographic will appreciate that are written by women.

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, Anthem, & We The Living by Ayn Rand
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
A Good Man is Hard to Find & Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor
I read Sylvia Plath's novel and it was ok at the time but the Bronte's and Ayn Rand can go fuck themselves. They should stick to poorly written articles about relationship issues and losing baby weight.
Did you just compare Ayn Rand's subject matter to the Bront

Loved Enid Blyton as a kid. She was a right cow in real life, apparently. Great storyteller though .....

Zer, you would love her Mallory Towers collections(all girl boarding school shenanigans) :p

Kinda embarrassed to say I've never read a book by a female before. Not because I wouldn't, just they tend to stay away from my favourite genres (As far as I know anyway)

What about Frankenstein?

That was mandatory reading for us in school, and was better than Dracula.

The Handmaid's Tale was godawful though and I've managed to survive all these years without laying eyes on any of Ayn Rand's works (and it sounds like I should continue to do so).

Never read the Harry Potter series. Now that I think about it, I've ready extremely few books written by women.

I enjoy very few novels written by a women. JV Jones and Margaret Weis seem to be the exception.

I truly hated Anne Rice's Vampire novels.

Maybe its just because a woman has a harder time getting into a male readers head?

I've noticed that I prefer male authors when it comes to my textbooks.

The required book for my Child and Adolescent Development class was written by a woman. Every fucking chapter had an opening vignette where she talked about her family and made herself out to be an expert on the subject because she is a mother.

That shit drove me insane.

Most of the genres I read tend to have more male writers than female.

Most of the genres I read tend to have more male writers than female.

Yeah I generally read SciFi and Fantasy novels, but even there I can think of quite a few female authors I have read from those genres recently that were pretty good

Back