sex of an author

Now that I think about it, I haven't read many books written by women. I do enjoy some of Margeret Atwood's novels though.

I am pretty sure an ex of mine has written a romance novel about me. If she gets it published, I will definitely read that.

I don't try to select books due to an author's gender, but all my favorite writers are men. I don't necessarily need a masculine prose, though I do enjoy McCarthy and the like. Murakami is among my very favorite writers, and his prose is almost feminine by design.

I'm trying to think if whether or not I've actually read a book by a female author... That's a little embarrassing.

yes

it might affect their ethos, pathos, logos

No. I didn't come close and didn't even suggest anything about the subject matter of any of the 3 but I can tell you were excited to use that meme.

Flannery O'Connor did write short stories pretty well but Ayn Rand is not good. That is not a comparison of subject matter either, by the way.

I guess I'm an asshole for saying it but there is an evolutionary reason for men understanding women, or at least attempting to figure them out. Women can attract men without any consideration of what's in their head which is why men can generally write a cast of characters that anybody can read and women can usually only write for other women.

It sure looked like you did.

Yes, definately.

I've written a novel and its been through one full edit by a female editor . . . In her words, she thinks it has "huge potential." BUT, she didnt care for the twist, or direction things went at the end . . . It has to do with things not turning out exactly as a female would want for the heroine I am sure. Basically, I knew this going into the edit. It's a book that I think guys would "get" but am pretty sure most girls might not.

So yes.

Unique thread btw.

I couldn't imagine a character like Conan being written by a woman. I make no distinction when it comes to textbooks etc.

Men tend to dominate the world of theology/philosophy, so not much can be done there. As for fiction, I don't care the author's sex. Annie Dillard and Graham Green are my favorite fiction writers.

I hardly ever read female authors. They tend to be vastly inferior to male ones.

However, there are exceptions. Edith Wharton and Ayn Rand both wrote well.

Ayn Rand wrote like she was full of herself. I didn't like the way she would describe things longer than they had to be.

I read a lot of poetry written by women. Plath, Sexton, Angelou. I've also read pretty much everything by Ayn Rand. There may be a few other books I've read by female authors....Sibel Edmond's book........"Candy Girl" by Diablo Cody (excellent book about stripping from a stripper's perspective).......too tired to think of more right now. But 99% of the books i have at home were written by men. And i have a huge library of books.

Books are a lot like music for me in that what I listen to and read are things I can relate to so almost every book I read is by a man.

It's why I can't read the hunger games and what not. I need to be able to relate to the protagonist and I have a hard time relating to a female protagonist. So really any book that involves journeys and what not.

However, I wouldn't mind straight fact books by women.

Yeah I generally read SciFi and Fantasy novels, but even there I can think of quite a few female authors I have read from those genres recently that were pretty good

Likewise. Sci fi, horror and fantasy for me. I've read some good books by gals, but there's a definite tendency for female authors to aim at a female audience. Hardly shocking really. Not like male authors don't aim at male readers or anything...

I've been trying to think of any female authors I'd class myself as a fan of, and I can't think of any so far.

Kinda embarrassed to say I've never read a book by a female before. Not because I wouldn't, just they tend to stay away from my favourite genres (As far as I know anyway)

Have you looked hard? Check out Alex Beecroft.

I've never thought about this before, but I don't read much of anything by female authors. I don't think it's ever been a conscious choice, I think it's more that woman tend not to write in the genres I enjoy (sci-fi in particular). But I will say, one of my favorite manga of all time (Dorohedoro) is written by a woman and you'd never be able to guess just by reading the series.

I never thought about this. But I checked my bookshelf and almost every single one of my books are written by a male. I stick to the horror, scifi, fantasy genre, so the stuff I like just happens to be written by males. I'm not against female writers or female protaganist, but the books I own and reread are mostly males.

One thing that stands out, is if a female writes males in an unrealistic manner, I can usually spot it a mile away, if a male writers female in the same way it's harder for me to call and if I do it has to be in such a blatant manner that I wouldn't care for the writer to begin with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back