Sergei Pavlovich would KO Jon Jones in Round 1.

I’ve honestly never looked at Jon jones as a fast fighter. I don’t believe his speed will be that noticeable compared to some of the heavy weights.
He was very fast when he was young, like the Bonnar fight. He was also very green and not a complete fighter yet. But he could land a spinning back elbow or suplex before his opponent had any idea what was coming. With 10+ years of wear and now well into his 30s, you're probably right.

He was very fast when he was young, like the Bonnar fight. He was also very green and not a complete fighter yet. But he could land a spinning back elbow or suplex before his opponent had any idea what was coming. With 10+ years of wear and now well into his 30s, you're probably right.
I wonder if that has more to do with Bonnar always being a slower more plodding type of fighter. It’s no disrespect to jones though, even without any amazing speed he still run through people. Like machida looked noticeably faster than him but he still framed, stiff armed and pressured his way to a dominant victory. His biggest athletic advantage was reach and he still made these dudes look like they didn’t belong.

Reactions: mkt

The way you judge Fedor shocked to see you not saying Jones is still in his prime.

Jones fans are hilarious

Jones holds victories over LHW/MW which means he can take on HWs

But pavlovich doesn't beat Jones. Mayne ngannou, Stipe, gane types

Last edited:
The way you judge Fedor shocked to see you not saying Jones is still in his prime.
Jones is 35, has been fighting 15 years, and half (or more) and didn't have a bunch of easy "freak show" or "slam dunk" fights as champ.

Cool. Rampage, Shogun, Lyoto, Rashad, Vitor, DC, Gus, Glover couldn't hurt him at all. But Sergei Pavlovich would definitely KO him in round 1. For sure.
IMO Gus had Jon hurt the most of any fighter. In the 4th, think middle of the round, you see Gus land a hard ass hook on Jon and Jon starts back tracking immediately and looked hurt.

I wonder if that has more to do with Bonnar always being a slower more plodding type of fighter. It’s no disrespect to jones though, even without any amazing speed he still run through people. Like machida looked noticeably faster than him but he still framed, stiff armed and pressured his way to a dominant victory. His biggest athletic advantage was reach and he still made these dudes look like they didn’t belong.
I think Jones had fast reflexes, but with that tall, lanky build and super long limbs, he obviously couldn't move like a WW. But for a guy with that build, I still say his suplexes and spinning back elbows were executed quickly. I don't think he would've caught Machida as much with those as he did Bonnar. Lyoto was super fast in his prime and still fast when he fought Jones. Someone made a slow-mo GIF of Rashad throwing a punch at him. By the time Rashad arm was halfway through the punching motion, Machida STARTED his own punch and still delivered his before Rashad's could land.

I am holding off on making many predictions on Jones at HW until I actually see him there and after a 3 year lay off.
That's probably the right thing to do.

I am holding off on favouring Jon Jones in any HW matchup until I actually see him win a fight in that weight class. Too many things playing against him on paper at this point: size, lack of experience carrying additional weight, lack of experience fighting HWs, visible decline in his performances over the last years, and the long layoff indeed. As I said previously, I'll be betting serious money against him if he actually ends up fighting a top HW, and that top HW somehow ends up being the underdog.

I am holding off on favouring Jon Jones in any HW matchup until I actually see him win a fight in that weight class. Too many things playing against him on paper at this point: size, lack of experience carrying additional weight, lack of experience fighting HWs, visible decline in his performances over the last years, and the long layoff indeed. As I said previously, I'll be betting serious money against him if he actually ends up fighting a top HW, and that top HW somehow ends up being the underdog.
I wouldn't say "any" HW matchup. I'm pretty sure he'd barely win a SD point fight against an ancient Arlovski..and beat some bottom-rung guys. But I think he'd be mistaken to fight someone like Gane out the gate. I'd say fight a fat, non-athletic journeymen (plenty at HW) whom he can simply beat via volume and sticking/moving...or at most fight Stipe, who's 40 and clearly beyond his prime. That said, Stipe may still be a tough fight with his reach/size and boxing. But I can see Jones pulling out another contested SD win kind of like the Reyes fight.

I wouldn't say "any" HW matchup. I'm pretty sure he'd barely win a SD point fight against an ancient Arlovski..and beat some bottom-rung guys. But I think he'd be mistaken to fight someone like Gane out the gate. I'd say fight a fat, non-athletic journeymen (plenty at HW) whom he can simply beat via volume and sticking/moving...or at most fight Stipe, who's 40 and clearly beyond his prime. That said, Stipe may still be a tough fight with his reach/size and boxing. But I can see Jones pulling out another contested SD win kind of like the Reyes fight.
Yeah, I don't think he'd lose to Parker Porter or Chase Sherman...still, we don't know, but the point is, they're clearly not aiming to give him some warm-up fight at HW...he'll go directly to a top-ranked opponent, at least according to the rumors.

240 lb Stipe boxes jones up and takes him down, bank on it.
I think Stipe definitely would have beat Jones any time between 2016 to 2020. I am worried Stipe is much older and slower now. The same can also be said about Jones.

Too many questions about both Stipe and Jones. They might both be severely past prime, or maybe only one of them is, or maybe both will look exactly the same last time we saw them. We never know until that bell rings (and even then there can still be questions. Lol)

Pavlovich's knees would be very easy targets for teep kicks that would noticeably hamper his movement.

tumblr_inline_ohpzr6tlkr1rp7srs_400.gif

Pavlovich can also be taken down with very little resistance.

From there, it isn't difficult to finish him.

I have no idea wtf happened in the Overeem fight, but I genuinely believe Pavlovich had a brain fart and his wrestling is better than that.

I think Stipe definitely would have beat Jones any time between 2016 to 2020. I am worried Stipe is much older and slower now. The same can also be said about Jones.

Too many questions about both Stipe and Jones. They might both be severely past prime, or maybe only one of them is, or maybe both will look exactly the same last time we saw them. We never know until that bell rings (and even then there can still be questions. Lol)

Stipe didn’t look terrible in his last fight against Francis, he came in too light which caused his wrestling to get nullified, but he still wobbled Francis with a big punch before running in for the finish and getting kod

Lot of factors here to consider, you pretty much went over all of it. Certain divisions I can make a comfortable prediction with a fighter moving up. Like I am picking Volk to beat Islam, or someone like Chimaev over Perreira would be a comfortable pick, or Pereira over LHWs. But HW is just a different beast, guys aren't moving up to fight guys who are 10-15 lbs bigger. They're moving up to fight guys 30+ lbs bigger. And while Jones with his new added size wont be undersized too much, he's still not used to fighting guys that size with that power.

Jones is 35, has 28 fights been fighting since 2008. Stipe is 40 has 24 fights and been fighting since 2010. Stipe is older but I think in terms of wear and prime it's pretty much even.

No doubt about it.

We all know this is the truth.

Discuss.

Jones is retired. I believehe is done until provenotherwise. There's tinfoil hat guys who think he's on band camp. Nothing surprises me.

Funny, no footage from any of his last three fights (i.e., nearly the last 5 years). Jones is a shell of his former self at this point. This isn't 2012 anymore.

And none of the opponents in this gif nearly have as much reach as Pavlovich. That's something to consider when throwing these teep kicks. If Gus countered him and landed when he threw those, imagine a guy with more reach and more power.

You're right to say that Pavlovich got taken down pretty easily by Reem, and couldn't do anything when he was on his back. But prior to that takedown, Overeem didn't look like a man who wanted to stand and trade with that monster, who showed so much power, it was getting through his guard.

I'd add, he crushed fossils and thr corpses of former legends.

Jones doesn't want the smoke.

To fight older, no more picograms, and no weight/reach bullying? He will hit like wmma at HW. Slow AF too.

Francis will walk through it and clobber him.

Bumping this thread because I was correct.

Back