Media Secret to Masvidal's resurrection

I haven’t followed the nutrition developments closely, so I have what is probably a dumb question:

I get what you’re saying about forcing the body to burn fat for energy if there is nothing readily available. But if you later consume the same amount of calories after the fast concludes, don’t those “excess calories” that your body doesn’t need to burn anymore (since it accessed stored fat due to your fast) just get stored as fat anyway?

In other words, if I was initially eating 10 units of food energy over the course of the day and burning 10 units of food energy, and I switch to a fast which causes me to burn 2 units of stored fat energy, doesn’t that mean that when I consume my usual 10 units of food energy later my body will only need 8 of those units (since 2 units of fat took their place), resulting in 2 units from my meal getting stored as fat?

I am guessing that’s incorrect, but I don’t understand why.

sorry for the slow reply.

The reason it doesn't end up "evening out" is because you're burning the same amount of fuel with increased efficiency. let's go with your analogy. If you're eating and losing 10 units a day without fasting, there's a net neutral in energy. If you're eating the traditional way (3 meals a day roughly) then you're constantly burning the units you JUST put in. You're never accessing your stored fats--which is why you'd have to limit it to 9 units intake to have a net of -1 to lose weight. Now your question is an important one and it's one that most people still don't understand fasting. And it's because we think of calories and diet in a linear fashion, but what we've found is fasting does a multitude of things that affect how much energy your body can take and how quickly it can burn it.

For example, you're spending all your glycogen storage. some of the food units you're eating after fasting all day go towards that. Otherwise if you didn't fast that day they'd constantly be full. You're reducing insulin resistance-- meaning you are more sensitive to insulin spikes, which massively affects how much your body stores fat and how easily you can start burning it. You're improving HGH levels. all of these things lead to signficantly better eating habits as well as improve the efficiency in which your body can burn fats.

if you're just below or even at maintenance level calorie restriction, your body only actually starts burning body fat for storage after about 6-8 hours of not eating (depending on carb intake and other fators like insulin resistance). And as you go longer and longer throughout that phase your body has to burn more fat literally-- it needs the energy to function. If you're eating 3x a day, you would only get that period of not eating while you're asleep.

I don't know how much that answers the question but I can expand on it if you want. I'm about a year or two out of date as well at this point as I stopped reading so much of it after I went a year of doing 24-30 hour fasts straight. (never felt better in my life). CICO and IF should be used hand in hand for optimal results from what I've seen.

Jorge will comeback looking like Matt Serra after retirement

LOL I've done Fasting buddy, so thank you I have done my research. I fasted when I was 17, and another when I was 20, both times helpful, both I did for months, but this time around during the Pandemic, I lost 22 Pounds and I didn't do it by Fasting, which was my original point.

I didn't knock the benefits, or say it doesn't work, what I did say is that it's not a magic bullet, and it's not going to magically erase bad eating habits or make them good. If you still eat like Shit, and Fast, it doesn't matter. My aunt Fasts, and guess what, she's STILL FAT, because she's ignorant and thinks that by not eating for an extended period of time she can eat whatever she wants which was another point I made about the average person not understanding Fasting and how to use it effectively.

It's another method of restricting calories for people that have a hard time by giving them a Window to eat. There's benefits to it yes, but you can still lose weight without fasting which was my point.

Don't twist my words, Fasting works for people smart enough to do their research and understand energy consumption. For the average person, it's a FAD Diet, for people that are smart, it's a useful tool

I wasn't twisting your words. You said it's just another method of CICO, and that's completely false. It's a supplement to CICO that absolutely does have it's own specific benefits for health and weight loss.

Sorry. Start dinner 6:30. Finish by 7. Then don’t eat ( light brunch or drink shake ) at 2pm next day. Calories ? Weekends bout 2000. Weekdays ? Prob 1200. I’m bout 168 at 5’9. Pre covid was 178. Heaviest in life 195 fat.
Got it, thanks :)
Yeah, 1200 calories I can see that to be doable with so many fasting hours. How much protein do you eat?
I can't see myself gaining muscle if I don't eat at least 2000 calories. But again I'm 6,9, ripped, as every Sherdogger here, except you apparently :p
Nah, I'm 6,3 and about 172lbs, I'm quite slim. I have little fat all around, just my lower belly. It may be the worst fat distribution body type there is I think.
I know people where fat gets distributed evenly across the whole body so that they can be many pounds overweight and it barely shows. Me, almost all lands on lower belly and it shows right away if I put like 4 pounds of fat lol. It's crazy. I guess you can call me skinny fat :) Like Diaz.

Damn I dont eat terrible but I do eat before bed

I wasn't twisting your words. You said it's just another method of CICO, and that's completely false. It's a supplement to CICO that absolutely does have it's own specific benefits for health and weight loss.

When it comes to losing Weight, and in general it is 100% another method of CICO. It helps people who on the surface has problems controlling their eating, so Fasting gives them structure and a window in which to consume Calories. It has benefits, again, not knocking it as someone that's done it TWICE, but most people look at Fasting as this get out of Jail Free card, and think they can still eat like Shit, but lose weight because their Fasting, and that's not how it works.

Fasting while your Fasting has amazing benefits for both Health and Fat Loss YES, but you still need to be in a Calorie Deficit to lose weight, I've known people that Fast trying to lose weight, and imagine my fucking surprise they still struggle to lose weight because they're not in a Calorie Deficit.

If your goal is to maintain your Weight, yeah you can Fast, get the benefits and eat the necessary calories to maintain your weight, but if you want to lose weight, you still need to make sure you're in a DEFICIT. You can't fast, and run through a McDonalds menu in one sitting and lose weight.

You can't be careless with your Calories just because your Fasting, you still need to be diligent and watch how much your eating.

Got it, thanks :)
Yeah, 1200 calories I can see that to be doable with so many fasting hours. How much protein do you eat?
I can't see myself gaining muscle if I don't eat at least 2000 calories. But again I'm 6,9, ripped, as every Sherdogger here, except you apparently :p
Nah, I'm 6,3 and about 172lbs, I'm quite slim. I have little fat all around, just my lower belly. It may be the worst fat distribution body type there is I think.
I know people where fat gets distributed evenly across the whole body so that they can be many pounds overweight and it barely shows. Me, almost all lands on lower belly and it shows right away if I put like 4 pounds of fat lol. It's crazy. I guess you can call me skinny fat :) Like Diaz.
Yeah my fat goes to neck, face and belly . Protein ? Prob bout 100 grams weekdays and 140 -150 grams on weekends . I’m not trying to gain weight so I’m ok with that. I just started to go back to gym last two months here in CA since they opened and started lifting again but now gotta stop due to CA getting strict and gyms shutting down . I wasn’t lifting to really get bigger just tone up and tighten . I’m either ripped , skinny fat , or bulky fat and when I lift a lot and eat a lot I get bulky fat . I’m pretty ripped now although I’d like to get even more . Gonna just do push ups, dips , body squats , yoga and shadow box in apt until gyms open again .

Masvidal used to tell reporters it was a mental block, he wouldn't go for power shots for some reason, then he did and it works pretty effectively or something.

The big improvement is that he's more aggressive and is better at using his power. Masvidal use to coast in close fights and lost several split decisions he could have won with more activity, his fight IQ was atrocious.

Agree. Sometimes guys start to find that extra bit of power as they enter their 30s. Maybe it’s about filling out physically and developing a little old man strength, maybe it’s about turning the corner in terms of technique after a decade of training, maybe it’s a little of both. Poirier is an example. He’s clearly more muscular now and hits a lot harder. I think Gaethje is a bigger hitter now than when he joined the UFC. Ortega appears to be punching a lot harder than ever at 29. Blachowicz was a decision machine until a few fights ago, and now he’s knocking everyone into next week. Cejudo had one stoppage win in 9 ufc fights before stopping three great opponents in his final three

Doesn’t happen for everyone. Edgar and Holloway come to mind as guys who never really added the big power to their boxing.

With Jorge it’s difficult to separate any other variables from his move to welterweight. He had just one knockout at 155 in a bunch of fights. Then he moved up to 170 and promptly finished all five of his wins (with his three losses coming at the hands of guys with HOF talent).

Did the extra 15 pounds make the difference? Did the easier weight cut allow him to be more aggressive? Did he just recognize that he needed to start pressing the issue to avoid close decisions? Who knows, but the power clearly started to pop when he moved up.

Meh, favourable matchmaking it seems like. Which is why he's ducking the shit out of Leon and Colby now.

sorry for the slow reply.

The reason it doesn't end up "evening out" is because you're burning the same amount of fuel with increased efficiency. let's go with your analogy. If you're eating and losing 10 units a day without fasting, there's a net neutral in energy. If you're eating the traditional way (3 meals a day roughly) then you're constantly burning the units you JUST put in. You're never accessing your stored fats--which is why you'd have to limit it to 9 units intake to have a net of -1 to lose weight. Now your question is an important one and it's one that most people still don't understand fasting. And it's because we think of calories and diet in a linear fashion, but what we've found is fasting does a multitude of things that affect how much energy your body can take and how quickly it can burn it.

For example, you're spending all your glycogen storage. some of the food units you're eating after fasting all day go towards that. Otherwise if you didn't fast that day they'd constantly be full. You're reducing insulin resistance-- meaning you are more sensitive to insulin spikes, which massively affects how much your body stores fat and how easily you can start burning it. You're improving HGH levels. all of these things lead to signficantly better eating habits as well as improve the efficiency in which your body can burn fats.

if you're just below or even at maintenance level calorie restriction, your body only actually starts burning body fat for storage after about 6-8 hours of not eating (depending on carb intake and other fators like insulin resistance). And as you go longer and longer throughout that phase your body has to burn more fat literally-- it needs the energy to function. If you're eating 3x a day, you would only get that period of not eating while you're asleep.

I don't know how much that answers the question but I can expand on it if you want. I'm about a year or two out of date as well at this point as I stopped reading so much of it after I went a year of doing 24-30 hour fasts straight. (never felt better in my life). CICO and IF should be used hand in hand for optimal results from what I've seen.

Thanks, that makes sense and is interesting. I’ve fallen into bad habits since the pandemic and have probably gained 20-30 pounds of worthless meat. Need to jumpstart myself somehow.

I feel you man, and I'm glad Fasting and eliminating those late night snacks/calories has lead to you feeling better, genuinely, I can tell we're both passionate about Health and I think that's awesome. Most people don't think about their Health enough, that's why if Fasting works for someone that's smart, has done their research, and used Fasting correctly, I can't knock it, but the average person, especially where I live(USA) are morons, and think Fasting magically makes it okay to obliterate the McDonalds Menu and say it's okay because they're Fasting.

It's something that pisses me off, because than most people think Fasting it's a get out of jail free card when it's not, people just don't understand energy consumption enough to use it effectively. I've used Fasting twice for a combined period of a Year, I think it's Fantastic, but the average person still lacks the knowledge to use it the right way AND you can lose weight without it.

I'm sitting at 12% Body Fat having dropped 22 pounds without Fasting, again, if it works for you and your smart, that's Fantastic, do it if it helps YOU, but the average person looks at Fasting as this Magic Bullet when it isn't.

It's a useful tool if you have a good enough mental discipline to use it. If you do, than you reap the benefits of it

100% agree with this. I've been doing intermittent fasting for a few years now and I noticed last year just how much my body shape changed when I switched up my diet. Instead of just using intermittent fasting, I ate healthier while keeping the exact same work out routine. After just a few months I got the abs I was working towards for years. What you put into your body is far more important than when you consume it. Intermittent fasting is fantastic if you go on a healthy diet but it isn't some magic cure all. Honestly I would say even exercise takes a back seat to a healthy diet when it comes to body shape.

TLDR: What you eat is far more important than when you eat it.

Thanks, that makes sense and is interesting. I’ve fallen into bad habits since the pandemic and have probably gained 20-30 pounds of worthless meat. Need to jumpstart myself somehow.

Long term adherence is going to be the most important thing, if IF isn't something you can't stick too, don't feel pressured to stay that way, it's perfectly fine to eat throughout the day and still lose weight. The most important thing when it comes to losing weight is being in a deficit. If you do it by both Fasting and monitoring your calories and it's something YOU can stick too, go for it.

But don't feel obligated to continue Fasting if it's something you don't see yourself doing forever.

You have to find what works for you, If you've lost weight just watching what you eat before without Fasting, it's worth giving it another go with more mental discipline.

Fasting isn't a magic bullet. You can't outrun a bad diet, nor can you restrict eating to stop one. You have to make conscious decisions and choices that will help you get the Goals you want.

Jorge is great but there are better fighters in his weight class (yes plural).

Jorge always eats pizza, fast food and pasta if he has no fight camp <45>not the best example for a balanced and healthy diet. And he doesn't really care or gives a fuck about it through his career.

100% agree with this. I've been doing intermittent fasting for a few years now and I noticed last year just how much my body shape changed when I switched up my diet. Instead of just using intermittent fasting, I ate healthier while keeping the exact same work out routine. After just a few months I got the abs I was working towards for years. What you put into your body is far more important than when you consume it. Intermittent fasting is fantastic if you go on a healthy diet but it isn't some magic cure all. Honestly I would say even exercise takes a back seat to a healthy diet when it comes to body shape.

TLDR: What you eat is far more important than when you eat it.

Thank you! I've tried it twice, and had success, but when it comes to getting the Body you want and getting to a low bodyfat% it's all about WHAT you eat and how much of it.

Honestly, I had a similar journey as you good shit man. I got the Abs I USED to have over the course of this pandemic by just watching what I was eating and adjusting my calories when needed. I did ZERO Ab exercises, and have been sticking to 2 sets of dumbbells I have in my house. I haven't stepped in a gym in over 7 months, and just by monitoring my eating, and an hour of exercise in the morning I lost 22 pounds and am at 12% bodyfat.

Obviously I'd have bigger muscles with access to a Gym, but the fact that I got the Abs I used to have without doing crunches, and just being patient, and making better choices is truly a gratifying feeling, and I'm happy you're at that point too man. Abs are fucking KICK ASS and is usually the tell tale sign your a Lean Mean Son of a Bitch lol. As someone with REALLY good Ab genetics, from personal experience I can vouch for the notion that Abs are made in the kitchen. You can make them bigger in the Gym yes, but you need to be at a low Bodyfat % to even see them. I have good genetics so I have a 6 pack without flexing.

Intermittent Fasting has it's place, but a nice physique can be obtained without it, and if you can't adhere to it, and use the principles correctly, than IF won't really do much which is what I've been arguing in this thread lol.

Over 70% of the American Population are obese, if Intermittent Fasting was really this magic pill EVERYONE would be doing it, but the Laws of Thermodynamics still apply, and you need to be in a Deficit to lose weight.

Thank you! I've tried it twice, and had success, but when it comes to getting the Body you want and getting to a low bodyfat% it's all about WHAT you eat and how much of it.

Honestly, I had a similar journey as you good shit man. I got the Abs I USED to have over the course of this pandemic by just watching what I was eating and adjusting my calories when needed. I did ZERO Ab exercises, and have been sticking to 2 sets of dumbbells I have in my house. I haven't stepped in a gym in over 7 months, and just by monitoring my eating, and an hour of exercise in the morning I lost 22 pounds and am at 12% bodyfat.

Obviously I'd have bigger muscles with access to a Gym, but the fact that I got the Abs I used to have without doing crunches, and just being patient, and making better choices is truly a gratifying feeling, and I'm happy you're at that point too man. Abs are fucking KICK ASS and is usually the tell tale sign your a Lean Mean Son of a Bitch lol. As someone with REALLY good Ab genetics, from personal experience I can vouch for the notion that Abs are made in the kitchen. You can make them bigger in the Gym yes, but you need to be at a low Bodyfat % to even see them. I have good genetics so I have a 6 pack without flexing.

Intermittent Fasting has it's place, but a nice physique can be obtained without it, and if you can't adhere to it, and use the principles correctly, than IF won't really do much which is what I've been arguing in this thread lol.

Over 70% of the American Population are obese, if Intermittent Fasting was really this magic pill EVERYONE would be doing it, but the Laws of Thermodynamics still apply, and you need to be in a Deficit to lose weight.

Thanks man! I worked abs for years every day and never got the results I wanted so I decided to switch it up. Tbh I did a cutting diet for a little longer than I should have and it sucked (steamed chicken or fish with broccoli or spinach every meal) for months but it had a huge effect. My energy levels were up, I was more focused and I never felt like shit when I woke up in the morning. Plus the longer you stick to the diet, the less often you'll get cravings and the more you'll just get used to eating healthy. Eventually shit foods do end up tasting like shit. Definitely a very gratifying feeling!

I think a big problem for people with dieting is their "cheat days". I overdid it myself a couple of times and realized that 1) I would wake up after a cheat day groggy af and not want to work out and 2) I had consumed all the calories that I had spent all week cutting out. Cheat days are meant to be a crutch. Not something that someone should normally schedule on a diet.

Glad to hear you're still managing to stay healthy and fit at home! I basically haven't worked out since the start of the pandemic. My girlfriend just bought me a weight set to work out at home (thinking she's giving me a hint) so I've slowly been getting back into working out.

I 100% agree with you. Intermittent fasting doesn't work if the person is going to eat pizza and burgers for their meals. It just won't do anything. It's all about having the self-discipline to walk away from unhealthy foods. If they offer fries pick the salad. If you're craving chips pick up a fruit instead. Unless the person is some kind of professional athlete, there's no way they should be consuming as many calories as normal North Americans do here. It's crazy having to explain to a bunch of people that there is no magic cure to lowering body fat. You just gotta maintain that self-discipline.

Back