• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sean Strickland vs. Khamzat Chimaev - Who wins?

Who wins?

• Total voters
Khamzat. Risk-free.

Once Khamzat is on his back, Sean will lay flat.

Khamzat finishes him in the first. He nearly finished Usman with the choke and Usman is a far superior grappler. You can talk about short notice all you want, if you have any grappling experience, you know your defensive grappling is what experiences the least deleterious effects during periods of inactivity or lessened training; especially when you're heavier and didn't have to cut weight.
No he didn't lol

MW has been devoid of any real grappling threat since Jacare, Weidman, and Rockhold have all gone. The champ has moved on from one point fighter to another. I don't think Sean has it in him to defend that onslaught. Usman is 10x the defensive grappler than Strickland is and there is no way he survives that.

MW has been devoid of any real grappling threat since Jacare, Weidman, and Rockhold have all gone. The champ has moved on from one point fighter to another. I don't think Sean has it in him to defend that onslaught. Usman is 10x the defensive grappler than Strickland is and there is no way he survives that.
Strickland needs to just survive round 1. that's it.

Khamzat would need a finish early to win, otherwise Strickland finishes him within the last 3 rounds.

You guys are really banking a Khamzat sprint to finish in round 1?

How often does this really work in a championship setting? If he does beat Strickland with it, how many title fights is Khamzat gonna win being a 1-round show?

His danger factor completely goes away after round 1.

Khamzat wins 2 rounds at most vs Sean.
What happens to khamzat after round 1? He turns human, That's what.
Sean jabbs the absolute piss out of khamzat for 3-4 rounds in a 5 rounder.
Khamzat is better at WW, but is too big and too undisciplined.

people talking about Khamzat's cardio as if he would need more than a round to beat Sean

What's Khamzat's ground threat compared to those guys? I can agree he's comparable with Weidman. But not really the other 2. Khamzat's pretty straight forward in his submission attacks, he's pretty good at getting the back and can grab a D'arce choke when his opponent scrambles from that position, like he did with Kevin Holland. Rockhold and Jacare had that level of grappling where they could put you in a dangerous position out of nowhere, they're different. They also didn't have the takedown ability Khamzat has either.

I think Sean survives the early onslaught and wins a decision. Will be a dog fight.

Strickland by decision, 47-46
Rd 1: 10-8 Chimaev
Rd 2: 10-9 Chimaev
Rd 3: 10-9 Strickland
Rd 4: 10-9 Strickland
Rd 5: 10-8 Strickland

I actually rate Sean way more than before. I see him weathering noted 1st round fighter Khamzat and putting it on him in every round afterwards.

I think it's a bad matchup for Sean and he gets subbed quickly.

Who knew there would be such an easy path for Costa to get a title. His size and strength alone would wear Khamzat out

A good wrestler -Khamzat or another - will likely put an end to Sean's reign. Disagree about the point fighting comment though. Adesanya had a couple of stinkers but most of his fights were awesome with KO's or other violence. The Kelvin fight was all-time.

A humble Khamzat will readjust his game and make quick work of Strickland to claim the MW belt

Back