Schaub/Florian: Zuffa has given non-champs 7 figure bonuses

Sports in general can and are a reliable source of income. That has nothing to do with the comment I made. No one who fights before hand in and UFC event plans to have a bonus check. I'm not sure what you're argueing. It seems like you just made a statement to make a statement that wasn't based on any original argument.

Sports are only a reliable income if you're successful and the vast majority of participants are not.

Even the most successful athletes are only on the top for a few years. You can't be an athlete your entire life.

Individual professional sports are not a reliable source of income.

Sports in general are not a reliable source of income.

For every $500K/yr NBA benchwarmer there are dozens or hundreds of washouts who can't even make the practice teams.

Baseball players in the minor leagues play for less than minimum wage.

Every year hundreds of players are turned away by NFL teams who can't even make it through the combine.

UFC is unique in that the entry level fighters actually get the opportunity to show their skills on the big stage. For every player in team sports you see there are hundreds or thousands of failed hopefuls.

All of these leagues have developmental leagues or farm systems. The UFC is both the premier league as well as the developmental league combined. Some people don't seem to realize that or want to admit that.

i didn;t know we were talking about minor league UFC fighters. in fact, i didn;t know the ufc had a minor league. also, i didnt realize we were talking about fighters who never made it into the ufc. i thought we were talking about ufc fighters.

and nowhere did anyone ever say fighters should all make the NBA veteran minimum, much less Kobe Bryant money.

i made a simple point about collective bargaining.

Rather than having a developmental league, the UFC develops it's own talent under the UFC brand. They farm talent in the UFC.

All of these leagues have developmental leagues or farm systems. The UFC is both the premier league as well as the developmental league combined. Some people don't seem to realize that or want to admit that.

More specifically..

Every major sports league has developmental programs... and NO ONE GIVES A FLYING FUCK ABOUT HOW POORLY THE ATHLETES ARE TREATED EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE THOUSANDS MORE PARTICIPANTS IN THOSE SYSTEMS.

More specifically..

Every major sports league has developmental programs... and NO ONE GIVES A FLYING FUCK ABOUT HOW POORLY THE ATHLETES ARE TREATED EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE THOUSANDS MORE PARTICIPANTS IN THOSE SYSTEMS.

Out of sight, out of mind.

People consider the UFC the premier league. It is. But they think the people in it should be paid as if they were premier fighters. But not all of them are. The UFC is also it's own developmental league. Many of the fighters are developmental talent, and they pay them as such with entry level contracts. I think if more people understood this, they would understand why they get paid so little.

It's not just the money either. How many times have we heard people bitch about the product being watered down with this inflated roster? Why do they have all of these unknowns? This is supposed to be the league for the best. It is. It's also a developmental league for farming talent. It has been since they introduced the UFN series. It was created to showcase TUF talent (largely made of prospects) and other prospects. Honestly, it was never just about the best fighting the best. Until recent years, they didn't have all of the best. They had some of them. The rest were spread out among other promotions like Pride, Strikeforce, EliteXC, Affliction, and even pre-Zuffa WEC. They didn't have control of the majority of the top talent until after they had already started showcasing up and coming prospects on UFN and TUF. So one could make the argument that the UFC was never the place where only the best fought the best.

No way they're giving million dollars or more to non champs. Schaub must be mixing up 7 and 6. Dat brain trauma.
Lol, this. Except for McGregor. I can definitely see Dana/Fertittas giving him a million.

Rather than having a developmental league, the UFC develops it's own talent under the UFC brand. They farm talent in the UFC.
This argument is faulty, because the UFC might not own a developmental league, but it definitely uses a bunch of other ones. There is no reason for the fighters to suck (looking at you 99% of wmma).

Lol, this. Except for McGregor. I can definitely see Dana/Fertittas giving him a million.

This argument is faulty, because the UFC might not own a developmental league, but it definitely uses a bunch of other ones. There is no reason for the fighters to suck (looking at you 99% of wmma).

It doesn't mean it's faulty by any means. They do develop their own talent. They have been doing it all along. It really took off in 2005. The fact that they pick up talent from regional promotions doesn't mean they don't develop their own talent. Also, when they have their own prospects, they can bring them along at as slow or fast of a pace as they wish. They can't just bring guys up or send guys down to and from the minors. Guys in regionals can also go to other promotions like Bellator and get caught in a contract where the UFC can't touch them.

Just because they sign talent from regional promotions doesn't mean they don't sign them for developmental purposes. They sign guys who dominated in regional promotions and pit them against each other for higher level experience to evaluate them and develop them. They don't come in to the UFC ready to compete among the best. Fight Nights and prelims are where the wheat gets separated from the chaff.

You say what I said was faulty and said there is no reason for them to suck. If I'm wrong, then why do some of them suck (as you then went on and alluded to)?

Does nobody else find it unbelievable that the UFC is still allowed to not disclose actual pay? Does any other sports organization do that? It seems insane.

There are athletic commissions (like NJ--the 2nd biggest athletic commission in terms of combat sports) that do not disclose fighter purses AT ALL. Should they be forced to because you're curious?

Goat is the prime candidate.

Brock vs Overeem i imagine both dudes got paid a ton for that.

I can also BJ, Nick Diaz, Frankie, Cowboy, Pettis getting solid bonus money as non champs. 7 figures is a stretch though.

Back