Law Scalia Died today

Scalia was a brilliant writer. Some of his opinions are legal gold.

Republican leaders already promising to delay confirmation until November. Shameful

I thought the same thing.

He seems to have passed well at least. He was 79 and died in his sleep without any major illness. Reminds me of how my grandfather died. I didn't know him very well because he lived in another country but I strangely felt good about how he died. He was in good health and had good mobility for his age, had a nice hot cup of tea after dinner, and his grandchildren gave him a massage until he fell asleep and passed at the ripe old age of 86. That's pretty much the ideal way to go. It was nice knowing he didn't suffer and lived a long life, higher than the US average life expectancy and 20 years higher than the average of his native country.
lol @ your name.

And yes, that sounds like the best way to possibly pass.

yeah, I'm reading up on him. He seems apolitical, which is ideal, imo, for a SCOTUS appointee.
He's well-respected across the polotical spectrum. He's got legal chops for days. He's the obvious choice for what could be an extremely contentious nomination.

I'm thinking of creating a "shame" list in the OP for the more tasteless comments in this thread.

Honestly, I can't blame people. Before I got into law, I was only acquainted with his super far-right shit like the Obergefell dissent or the shit about states being able to detain gay dudes or the awful concurrence in Twombly or Iqbbal. But when you study the stuff and see the breadth of his contribution, it's a whole different story. Plus, reading hundreds of a guys opinions, you start to form a weird sentimentality haha.

Disagree with lots of his decisions, but I gotta say the outright celebration of his death by many of my lefty acquaintances is creepy as hell.

One thing i know for sure is,that the Democrats always manage to fuck these opportunities up.
Rs will probably delay it until after the election and then Hillary will lose.

I love how the Republican side is already scrambling... Homeboy isn't even cold yet.

One thing i know for sure is,that the Democrats always manage to fuck these opportunities up.
Rs will probably delay it until after the election and then Hillary will lose.

Supreme Court nominations should always be people who are in the middle or as apolitical as possible.

He's well-respected across the polotical spectrum. He's got legal chops for days. He's the obvious choice for what could be an extremely contentious nomination.
His legal history is also interesting. He went to Stanford, which is unusual right now for Scotus , clerked for a conservative 4th circuit judge, (when I saw he clerked for Wilkinson I was hoping for UVA...), and then went on to a conservative appointee who trended left.

Supreme Court nominations should always be people who are in the middle or as apolitical as possible.

No, they should be people as qualified as possible. Ginsburg was undeniably political due to her ACLU background, but is generally thought to be one of the finest legal minds of the generation.

Every 5-4 conservative decision this term is now 4-4. Lol. Only thing on their agenda that remains possible is Fisher.

Mandatory union dues live to fight another day.

I won't be losing any sleep over it.

I won't be losing any sleep over it.
Nor will I... At the end of the day, this Country is decidedly better for him not being alive, certainly in the position he was in. He didn't seem to understand that this nation is and never was a Theocracy. I just wish I could see the look on his face when he was about to pass and started having second thoughts about the bronze age mythology he attempted to make other People live by (despite Human Rights) being real. I have zero sympathy for him.

Nor will I... At the end of the day, this Country is decidedly better for him not being alive, certainly in the position he was in. He didn't seem to understand that this nation is and never was a Theocracy. I just wish I could see the look on his face when he was about to pass and started having second thoughts about the bronze age mythology he attempted to make other People live by (despite Human Rights) being real. I have zero sympathy for him.
Damn Buk, you really are a 1 or 100 kind of guy.

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Dies at 79
By EMILY SHAPIRO
Feb 13, 2016

AP_supreme_court_justice_antonin_scalia_er_151209_12x5_1600.jpg

U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia has died at age 79, two law enforcement sources told ABC News today.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr. said in a statement: "On behalf of the Court and retired Justices, I am saddened to report that our colleague Justice Antonin Scalia has passed away. He was an extraordinary individual and jurist, admired and treasured by his colleagues. His passing is a great loss to the Court and the country he so loyally served. We extend our deepest condolences to his wife Maureen and his family."

Scalia died today in Texas of apparently natural causes, according to law enforcement sources.

Scalia, a conservative, was the longest-serving current justice on the Supreme Court. He was nominated to the court by President Reagan and took his seat Sept. 26, 1986.

President Obama was informed of Scalia's death this afternoon, said Principal Deputy Press Secretary Eric Schultz. The President and First Lady extend their deepest condolences to Scalia’s family.

President George W. Bush said in a statement, "Laura and I mourn the death of a brilliant jurist and important American, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. He was a towering figure and important judge on our Nation's highest court. He brought intellect, good judgment, and wit to the bench, and he will be missed by his colleagues and our country. Laura and I send our heartfelt sympathies and condolences to his wife, Maureen, their nine children, and the entire Scalia family."

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said in a statement today, "Justice Antonin Scalia was a man of God, a patriot, and an unwavering defender of the written Constitution and the Rule of Law."

"He was the solid rock who turned away so many attempts to depart from and distort the Constitution. His fierce loyalty to the Constitution set an unmatched example, not just for judges and lawyers, but for all Americans," Abbott said.

"We mourn his passing, and we pray that his successor on the Supreme Court will take his place as a champion for the written Constitution and the Rule of Law," Abbott said.

Thirty years ago, the Senate -- including Democrats Joe Biden and Ted Kennedy -- confirmed Scalia to the court 98-0.

Scalia was born in Trenton, New Jersey, on March 11, 1936. Prior to his appointment to the Supreme Court, Scalia was appointed Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in 1982. He also served as Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legal Counsel from 1974 to 1977, Chairman of the Administrative Conference of the United States from 1972 to 1974 and General Counsel of the Office of Telecommunications Policy from 1971 to 1972.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/supreme-court-justice-antonin-scalia-dies-79/story?id=36920029

I hate to see pretty much anyone die.

But this guy was a elitist piece of sh*t who caused so much death and misery.

And I'm a conservative.

Back