Law Scalia Died today

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Quipling, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Quipling

Quipling Red Belt

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/us...iate-Justice-Antonin-Scalia-found-6828930.php

Commentary later, but for now I want to make a toast to an individual who has had an enormous influence on the court and american jurisprudence. While he's written things I think are simply wrong, he's also written some incredibly clever and insightful cases that laid down principles of law that are still rightly used.

He's also been an excellent example in terms of getting along with your ideological opponents, and I think he and Ginsberg's friendship provide an important lesson on this.

I'm going to ask everyone in this thread to name a Scalia opinion they like.

Mine is Whitman v. American Trucking, an environmental case in which he expressed the principle:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/pdf/99-1257P.ZO

"I can say one thing about Justice Scalia," Ginsburg said. "He is one of the few people in the world who can make me laugh, and I appreciate him for that."

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Dies at 79
    By EMILY SHAPIRO
    Feb 13, 2016

[​IMG]

U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia has died at age 79, two law enforcement sources told ABC News today.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr. said in a statement: "On behalf of the Court and retired Justices, I am saddened to report that our colleague Justice Antonin Scalia has passed away. He was an extraordinary individual and jurist, admired and treasured by his colleagues. His passing is a great loss to the Court and the country he so loyally served. We extend our deepest condolences to his wife Maureen and his family."

Scalia died today in Texas of apparently natural causes, according to law enforcement sources.

Scalia, a conservative, was the longest-serving current justice on the Supreme Court. He was nominated to the court by President Reagan and took his seat Sept. 26, 1986.

President Obama was informed of Scalia's death this afternoon, said Principal Deputy Press Secretary Eric Schultz. The President and First Lady extend their deepest condolences to Scalia’s family.

President George W. Bush said in a statement, "Laura and I mourn the death of a brilliant jurist and important American, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. He was a towering figure and important judge on our Nation's highest court. He brought intellect, good judgment, and wit to the bench, and he will be missed by his colleagues and our country. Laura and I send our heartfelt sympathies and condolences to his wife, Maureen, their nine children, and the entire Scalia family."

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said in a statement today, "Justice Antonin Scalia was a man of God, a patriot, and an unwavering defender of the written Constitution and the Rule of Law."

"He was the solid rock who turned away so many attempts to depart from and distort the Constitution. His fierce loyalty to the Constitution set an unmatched example, not just for judges and lawyers, but for all Americans," Abbott said.

"We mourn his passing, and we pray that his successor on the Supreme Court will take his place as a champion for the written Constitution and the Rule of Law," Abbott said.

Thirty years ago, the Senate -- including Democrats Joe Biden and Ted Kennedy -- confirmed Scalia to the court 98-0.

Scalia was born in Trenton, New Jersey, on March 11, 1936. Prior to his appointment to the Supreme Court, Scalia was appointed Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in 1982. He also served as Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legal Counsel from 1974 to 1977, Chairman of the Administrative Conference of the United States from 1972 to 1974 and General Counsel of the Office of Telecommunications Policy from 1971 to 1972.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    Lead and panamaican like this.
  2. Misfit23

Misfit23 Black Belt

I'm sure the Republicans are thrilled that Obama gets to make another nomination choice.

Strychnine likes this.
  3. Higus

Higus Silver Belt

I can't say I agree with many of his rulings, but he dedicated a large portion of his life to serving the public. RIP.

Quipling likes this.
  4. Lead

Lead /Led/ Staff Member Senior Moderator

Is this breaking? It's not showing on CNN.

5. GSP in 2006

GSP in 2006 Brown Belt

RIP

I'll follow Quiplings lead & reserve my thoughts on Scalia for another time.

Strychnine likes this.
  6. Higus

Higus Silver Belt

Like they are going to approve of anyone before the election...

7. Lead

I bet it will get held off and 2016 might become that much more important.

8. NelmarksGhost

NelmarksGhost Brown Belt

In before Obama false flag assassination.

Quipling, TheWorm and hitcher like this.
  9. Lord Coke

Lord Coke Black Belt

10. Quipling

Quipling Red Belt

Yes.

11. K1levelgrappler

K1levelgrappler Brown Belt

Wow this is big. Not gonna lie I just fist pumped.

uppercutbus, Luger and KONG-D'SNT-TAP like this.
  12. Lead

Internet is crazy. I see your thread and then like 1-2 news articles, then the internet articles spike in minutes and it's on CNN now.

13. He was a patriot and did what he thought was right for our country. Disagree with basically everything he was about but I can respect that regardless of him being an ideologue.

CreativeTomato likes this.
  14. Fawlty

Fawlty Steel Belt

Good timing, but it's going to be a shit storm.

Strychnine likes this.
  15. MC OverPressure

MC OverPressure My gf has four buttholes

16. Rex Kwon Do

Rex Kwon Do ál-ḥámdúlílláh

RIP

Brilliant guy. It's a very bad day for the nation not only because we lost him, but because he'll be replaced by someone who understands and respects the Constitution far less than he did. There will be no balance anymore, and if a Democrat wins in 2016, such an imbalance will continue for decades.

dempseyroll likes this.
  17. SMEAC

SMEAC Walt Kowalski

Fuck
    Shit just got really big

Literally

18. GSP in 2006

GSP in 2006 Brown Belt

11 months seems like along time for the Court to be a person short. I'm not sure Congress is going to able to obstruct an appointment that long.

19. Lead

2016 is fucking crazy.

20. VulcanNervPinch

VulcanNervPinch Silver Belt

Oh no!

Whose opinions is Clarence Thomas going to write "me too" at the bottom of, now???

LogicalInsanity, TheWorm and japman40 like this.