Law Scalia Died today

Quipling

classical conservative
@Silver
Reaction score
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/us...iate-Justice-Antonin-Scalia-found-6828930.php

Supreme Court justices weigh in on Antonin Scalia's death

Below are statements from current and retired Supreme Court justices on the death of Justice Antonin Scalia. Scalia died of a heart attack on Saturday at age 79 at Cibolo Creek Ranch in Texas. Appointed by President Ronald Reagan, he served on the high court for three decades.

635910553193393865-AP-Supreme-Court-Justices-Investments.jpg

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr.:

"On behalf of the Court and retired Justices, I am saddened to report that our colleague Justice Antonin Scalia has passed away. He was an extraordinary individual and jurist, admired and treasured by his colleagues. His passing is a great loss to the Court and the country he so loyally served. We extend our deepest condolences to his wife Maureen and his family."

635910560901461232-AP-Supreme-Court-Budget.jpg

Justice Anthony Kennedy:

"In years to come any history of the Supreme Court will, and must, recount the wisdom, scholarship, and technical brilliance that Justice Scalia brought to the Court. His insistence on demanding standards shaped the work of the Court in its private discussions, its oral arguments, and its written opinions.

"Yet these historic achievements are all the more impressive and compelling because the foundations of Justice Scalia’s jurisprudence, the driving force in all his work, and his powerful personality were shaped by an unyielding commitment to the Constitution of the United States and to the highest ethical and moral standards.

"In the fullness of time Justice Scalia’s beautiful family will be sustained by the force and dynamism of his intellect and personality, attributes that were so decent and so powerful; but now they mourn. We give them assurances of our deepest sympathy and our lasting friendship."

635910560161212762-Justice-Thomas.jpg

Justice Clarence Thomas:

"Justice Scalia was a good man; a wonderful husband who loved his wife and his family; a man of strong faith; a towering intellect; a legal giant; and a dear, dear friend. In every case, he gave it his all to get the broad principles and the small details right. Virginia and I are deeply saddened by his sudden and untimely death. Our prayers and love go out to Maureen and the Scalia family. It is hard to imagine the Court without my friend. I will miss him beyond all measure."

635910555646916849-GTY-485357525.jpg

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg:

"Toward the end of the opera Scalia/Ginsburg, tenor Scalia and soprano Ginsburg sing a duet: 'We are different, we are one,' different in our interpretation of written texts, one in our reverence for the Constitution and the institution we serve. From our years together at the D.C. Circuit, we were best buddies. We disagreed now and then, but when I wrote for the Court and received a Scalia dissent, the opinion ultimately released was notably better than my initial circulation. Justice Scalia nailed all the weak spots—the 'applesauce' and 'argle bargle'—and gave me just what I needed to strengthen the majority opinion. He was a jurist of captivating brilliance and wit, with a rare talent to make even the most sober judge laugh. The press referred to his 'energetic fervor,' 'astringent intellect,' 'peppery prose,' 'acumen,' and 'affability,' all apt descriptions. He was eminently quotable, his pungent opinions so clearly stated that his words never slipped from the reader’s grasp.

"Justice Scalia once described as the peak of his days on the bench an evening at the Opera Ball when he joined two Washington National Opera tenors at the piano for a medley of songs. He called it the famous Three Tenors performance. He was, indeed, a magnificent performer. It was my great good fortune to have known him as working colleague and treasured friend."

635910558109675363-A06-COURTS-06.jpg

Justice Stephen G. Breyer:

"Nino Scalia was a legal titan. He used his great energy, fine mind, and stylistic genius to further the rule of law as he saw it. He was man of integrity and wit. His interests were wide ranging as was his knowledge about law, this Nation and its Constitution. He loved his family. He also loved ideas, music, and the out of doors. He shared with us, his colleagues, his enthusiasms, his humor, his mental agility, his seriousness of purpose. We benefitted greatly. His contribution to the law was a major one. Our hearts go out to Maureen and his family. We have lost a fine colleague and a very good friend. We shall miss him hugely."

635910561398028330-Justice-Alito.jpg

Justice Samuel Alito:

"Martha-Ann and I are deeply saddened by the terrible news. Nino was a remarkable person, and I feel very honored to have known him and to have had him as a colleague. He was a towering figure who will be remembered as one of the most important figures in the history of the Supreme Court and a scholar who deeply influenced our legal culture. His intellect, learning, wit, and memorable writing will be sorely missed, and Martha-Ann and I will deeply miss him as a friend. We will keep Nino, Maureen, and their family in our prayers."

635910556194433137-XXX-Inauguration-rd618-.jpg

Justice Sonia Sotomayor:

"My colleague Nino Scalia was devoted to his family, friends, our Court, and our country. He left an indelible mark on our history. I will miss him and the dimming of his special light is a great loss for me. My thoughts are with Maureen, his children, and his grandchildren."

635910556940825967-XXX-141215-ScaliaKagan-2542.jpg

Justice Elena Kagan:

"Nino Scalia will go down in history as one of the most transformational Supreme Court Justices of our nation. His views on interpreting texts have changed the way all of us think and talk about the law. I admired Nino for his brilliance and erudition, his dedication and energy, and his peerless writing. And I treasured Nino’s friendship: I will always remember, and greatly miss, his warmth, charm, and generosity. Maureen and the whole Scalia family are in my thoughts and prayers."

635910557363933223-AP-Constitution-Day-OConnor.jpg

Justice Sandra Day O’Connor (Retired):

"I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my dear friend and colleague, Justice Antonin Scalia. Nino was a tireless public servant who left an indelible mark on the Court and on our jurisprudence. His gifts of wisdom, wit, and wordsmithing were unparalleled, and he will be sorely missed."

635910559112214901-XXX-130972-Stevens-03.JPG

Justice John Paul Stevens (Retired):

"Nino Scalia was a good friend, a brilliant man with an incomparable sense of humor, and as articulate as any Justice who ever served on the Court. He has had a major impact on the development of the law, and earned the respect of all his colleagues. We will all miss him."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-supreme-court-death-justice-scalia/80375976/

Commentary later, but for now I want to make a toast to an individual who has had an enormous influence on the court and american jurisprudence. While he's written things I think are simply wrong, he's also written some incredibly clever and insightful cases that laid down principles of law that are still rightly used.

He's also been an excellent example in terms of getting along with your ideological opponents, and I think he and Ginsberg's friendship provide an important lesson on this.

I'm going to ask everyone in this thread to name a Scalia opinion they like.

Mine is Whitman v. American Trucking, an environmental case in which he expressed the principle:

Congress, we have held, does not alter the fundamental details of a regulatory scheme in vague terms or ancillary provisions— it does not, one might say, hide elephants in mouseholes.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/pdf/99-1257P.ZO

"I can say one thing about Justice Scalia," Ginsburg said. "He is one of the few people in the world who can make me laugh, and I appreciate him for that."

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Dies at 79
By EMILY SHAPIRO
Feb 13, 2016

AP_supreme_court_justice_antonin_scalia_er_151209_12x5_1600.jpg

U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia has died at age 79, two law enforcement sources told ABC News today.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr. said in a statement: "On behalf of the Court and retired Justices, I am saddened to report that our colleague Justice Antonin Scalia has passed away. He was an extraordinary individual and jurist, admired and treasured by his colleagues. His passing is a great loss to the Court and the country he so loyally served. We extend our deepest condolences to his wife Maureen and his family."

Scalia died today in Texas of apparently natural causes, according to law enforcement sources.

Scalia, a conservative, was the longest-serving current justice on the Supreme Court. He was nominated to the court by President Reagan and took his seat Sept. 26, 1986.

President Obama was informed of Scalia's death this afternoon, said Principal Deputy Press Secretary Eric Schultz. The President and First Lady extend their deepest condolences to Scalia’s family.

President George W. Bush said in a statement, "Laura and I mourn the death of a brilliant jurist and important American, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. He was a towering figure and important judge on our Nation's highest court. He brought intellect, good judgment, and wit to the bench, and he will be missed by his colleagues and our country. Laura and I send our heartfelt sympathies and condolences to his wife, Maureen, their nine children, and the entire Scalia family."

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said in a statement today, "Justice Antonin Scalia was a man of God, a patriot, and an unwavering defender of the written Constitution and the Rule of Law."

"He was the solid rock who turned away so many attempts to depart from and distort the Constitution. His fierce loyalty to the Constitution set an unmatched example, not just for judges and lawyers, but for all Americans," Abbott said.

"We mourn his passing, and we pray that his successor on the Supreme Court will take his place as a champion for the written Constitution and the Rule of Law," Abbott said.

Thirty years ago, the Senate -- including Democrats Joe Biden and Ted Kennedy -- confirmed Scalia to the court 98-0.

Scalia was born in Trenton, New Jersey, on March 11, 1936. Prior to his appointment to the Supreme Court, Scalia was appointed Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in 1982. He also served as Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legal Counsel from 1974 to 1977, Chairman of the Administrative Conference of the United States from 1972 to 1974 and General Counsel of the Office of Telecommunications Policy from 1971 to 1972.

Last edited:
I'm sure the Republicans are thrilled that Obama gets to make another nomination choice.

I can't say I agree with many of his rulings, but he dedicated a large portion of his life to serving the public. RIP.

Is this breaking? It's not showing on CNN.

RIP

I'll follow Quiplings lead & reserve my thoughts on Scalia for another time.

I'm sure the Republicans are thrilled that Obama gets to make another nomination choice.

Like they are going to approve of anyone before the election...

I bet it will get held off and 2016 might become that much more important.

Internet is crazy. I see your thread and then like 1-2 news articles, then the internet articles spike in minutes and it's on CNN now.

He was a patriot and did what he thought was right for our country. Disagree with basically everything he was about but I can respect that regardless of him being an ideologue.

Good timing, but it's going to be a shit storm.

RIP

Brilliant guy. It's a very bad day for the nation not only because we lost him, but because he'll be replaced by someone who understands and respects the Constitution far less than he did. There will be no balance anymore, and if a Democrat wins in 2016, such an imbalance will continue for decades.

Fuck
Shit just got really big

Literally

I bet it will get held off and 2016 might become that much more important.

11 months seems like along time for the Court to be a person short. I'm not sure Congress is going to able to obstruct an appointment that long.

2016 is fucking crazy.

Oh no!

Whose opinions is Clarence Thomas going to write "me too" at the bottom of, now???

Back