Social SAT To add ‘Adversity Score’ to Capture Social and Economic Background

It's not a handicap. It's putting their achievement in proper context. If my friend's kid can't outperform a poor kid growing up in a poor neighborhood with crappy schools, my friend would agree that her kid does not deserve to get into that college over that poor kid.

What they are doing IS a handicap. Just look at the MCAT scores and hiring rates for all groups. Asians are already up in arms over the Stuyvessant ordeal in New York.

This is crazy. What ever happened to getting in on your own merits. I guarantee the colleges are gonna say we at least this many kids with X "adversity" score.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sat-to...re-social-and-economic-background-11557999000

The College Board plans to assign an adversity score to every student who takes the SAT to try to capture their social and economic background, jumping into the debate raging over race and class in college admissions.

This new number, called an adversity score by college admissions officers, is calculated using 15 factors including the crime rate and poverty levels from the student’s high school and neighborhood. Students won’t be told the scores, but colleges will see the numbers when reviewing their applications.

Fifty colleges used the score last year as part of a beta test. The College Board plans to expand it to 150 institutions this fall, and then use it broadly the following year.

How colleges consider a student’s race and class in making admissions decisions is hotly contested. Many colleges, including Harvard University, say a diverse student body is part of the educational mission of a school. A lawsuit accusing Harvard of discriminating against Asian-American applicants by holding them to a higher standard is awaiting a judge’s ruling. Lawsuits charging unfair admission practices have also been filed against the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the University of California

The College Board, the New York based nonprofit that oversees the SAT, said it has worried about income inequality influencing test results for years. White students scored an average of 177 points higher than black students and 133 points higher than Hispanic students in 2018 results. Asian students scored 100 points higher than white students. The children of wealthy and college-educated parents outperformed their classmates.

“There are a number of amazing students who may have scored less [on the SAT] but have accomplished more,” said David Coleman, chief executive of the College Board. “We can’t sit on our hands and ignore the disparities of wealth reflected in the SAT.”

The SAT, which includes math and verbal sections and is still taken with No. 2 pencils, is facing challenges. Federal prosecutors revealed this spring that students cheated on both the SAT and ACT for years as part of a far-reaching college admissions cheating scheme. In Asia and the Middle East, both the ACTand SAT exams have experienced security breaches.

Yale University is one of the schools that has tried using applicants’ adversity scores. Yale has pushed to increase socioeconomic diversity and, over several years, has nearly doubled the number of low-income and first-generation-to-attend-college students to about 20% of newly admitted students, said Jeremiah Quinlan, the dean of undergraduate admissions at Yale.

“This [adversity score] is literally affecting every application we look at,” he said. “It has been a part of the success story to help diversify our freshman class"

You know what this is?

Another version of AFFIRMATIVE ACTION but in terms of College Admissions based on things other than Merits.

Complete and total bullshit.

@luckyshot 's famous quote encapsulates the OP and many of the participants in this thread lol

"The saddest thing about being stupid is that you don't know that you are stupid, but you are always angry at everyone else for acting like they're so damn smart." -Luckyshot
Sounds like a purty smart feller.

(Or a pretty fart smeller.)

She would disagree with you. Asians are already up in arms over the Stuyvessant ordeal in New York.

Lol. Why are you talking about my friend as if you know her, and I dont'?

I have had these discussions with her before. I already gave you the specifics of those discussions. She recognizes how much more difficult it was for her to get where she was because of her background, and she resents the fact that it's overlooked. This policy would ensure that her background is no longer overlooked.

People inaccurately are trying to portray this as some sort of charity. It's not. This is how colleges find more talent. Finding people who overcame adversity and still achieved great things is more desirable than going to the same prep schools and admitting rich kids who are going to join Fraternities and act like entitled brats for 4 years.

My kid is a white male born into a nuclear middle class family. He will have the lowest diversity score ever. I honestly would prefer him to go to a tech school for a trade vs what college is becoming. Dunno who I am kidding though - he was born into the warrior caste.

Depends on what you mean.

They're adding a separate metric that attempts to summarize the personal adversity of the test taker. They're not adding the score to the test scores but presenting it alongside the test score. 2 scores.
Hmm. Seems like that should be left to the school

Lol. Why are you talking about my friend as if you know her, and I dont'?

I have had these discussions with her before. I already gave you the specifics of those discussions. She recognizes how much more difficult it was for her to get where she was because of her background, and she resents the fact that it's overlooked. This policy would ensure that her background is no longer overlooked.

People inaccurately are trying to portray this as some sort of charity. It's not. This is how colleges find more talent. Finding people who overcame adversity and still achieved great things is more desirable than going to the same prep schools and admitting rich kids who are going to join Fraternities and act like entitled brats for 4 years.

I guarantee you there will be articles of this in Asian news outlets and Asian political groups will take this to court.

My kid is a white male born into a nuclear middle class family. He will have the lowest diversity score ever. I honestly would prefer him to go to a tech school for a trade vs what college is becoming. Dunno who I am kidding though - he was born into the warrior caste.

*** Adversity.

Not diversity. Adversity.

His race is not part of his adversity score.

You understand that 'lil Tommy Wang and 'lil Patel Singh are smarter than your kid right?

*** Adversity.

Not diversity. Adversity.

His race is not part of his adversity score.

The output is to add diversity. Call it what you want. It's in the article at the end, to add diversity to the freshman class. My graduate degree is in higher education administration. I am somewhat knowledgeable about the how and why this works.

@luckyshot 's famous quote encapsulates the OP and many of the participants in this thread lol

"The saddest thing about being stupid is that you don't know that you are stupid, but you are always angry at everyone else for acting like they're so damn smart." -Luckyshot
^the arrogance of stupid people.

Unless "Chang" comes from a bilingual household, or has parents who did not attend college, or is from a poor community, etc. In which case, he would benefit from the adversity score.
This is assuming that adversity score does not include race. Since the parameters are coincidentally not fully disclosed, I suspect we'll see more of this:
merlin_139107966_ece28f3f-a822-4844-8924-69d8505e0674-superJumbo.jpg

Students won’t be told the scores, but colleges will see the numbers when reviewing their applications.

This is good if done correctly

An Asian person from a poor single parent family who grew up in the ghetto should not have to score 400 points higher than Obama's kids (to use an extreme example) in order to have the same probability of getting accepted at a good school.

The bolded part is what irks me.

The latest scandal in college admission shows that we need more transparency than ever, yet they are planning to keep this new Adversity scoresheet a secret, so it can't be scrutinized by anyone outside of the college admission office.

Whether it's Math, English, or Adversity, the students who paid to take the test are entitled to know how they are judged on the test.

Last edited:
Somehow these damn universities always find a way to put Asian people down.

The whole point the post you responded to is the guy I responded to is he says anyone who disagrees with it is racist and wants to go back to the good ol days of segregation. That's why I said I doubt there are even a handful of people here who were alive during that time. Let alone feel that way

Hi, guy you responded to.

What the fuck are you even talking about?

How did you get what you posted from any of the posts I made toward you? This is what i'm talking about when I say it's an indictment of you, not me.

Made a thread on a bad premise, argue on bad premises, logic isn't your strong suit eh?

Back