Law San Francisco approves police use of robots in lethal force situations

Continuing to fire shots makes him still a deadly threat. We get a lot around here where suspect is barricaded but no one is in direct danger even though the suspect has weapons.

Police don't enter due to that creating the lethal risk that doesn't exist without an entry. Fatigue sets in on the suspect too. I'd hate for this to be an "easy out" option, as opposed to just continued waiting where no one is getting hurt.
We for example then have flowchart then to talk with aggressor suspect and so on.

While we have unmanned ground machines.
For de mining operations and might be used like unmanned APC/ AFW BMP type stuff....

F.e even equipped with Brimstone missiles and / or automatic grenade launchers or to launch MANPADs or ATGMS....

Might be operated by AI too...

Btw offenders sometimes release hostiges and stuff to talk continue.
Sometimes they after talking are attempting to run away from this location...

Robocops ofc unlike in films, aren't yet developed....
For the same de mining we use unmanned stuff as far as this is possible, if no...then...guys:(.

I thought for sure those Dallas cops were gonna get in trouble for blowing that guy up.

They should totally use robots. It can keep police from risking their lives plus you can arm them with non-lethal weapons if you want.

I'm okay with this. Wait, which robot are we talking about?.....

images

^^Might require vigorous testing.

Cyberpunk 2050

Cant wait to see how society looks in 40s and 50s

I thought for sure those Dallas cops were gonna get in trouble for blowing that guy up.

They should totally use robots. It can keep police from risking their lives plus you can arm them with non-lethal weapons if you want.

I thought the idea of equipping these robots with multiple options would be a good idea. Imagine a robot equipped with ear splitting noise to distract as they move in or tear gas deployment as well as the lethal stuff.

In. Especially in SF, NYC. Brilliant idea.

San Fran council approved a police petition to be able to use robots to defuse lethal force situations despite the objections of some in the community that expressed fears that the tools will be used on the poor in disproportionate numbers.

This comes in the wake of the first time a robot was used to take out a suspect in Dallas a few years ago. That suspect had shot five police officers and was taken out by a bomb robot armed with explosives.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/san-francisco-approval-police-deploy-deadly-lethal-robots/

As in AI options or like a bomb squad robot controlled by remote that now has a handgun attached to take out a suspect rather than breaching with men?

Biggest concern I see is video and audio quality and angles being related to the pilot to get the whole story and if there are any other options.

Vast majority of police shoots are due to officer fearing for their safety. Remove the officer, and there goes that justification to shoot. And I doubt this thing is accurate enough for narrow window shots of hostage situations.

a suicide bomber holed up somewhere is about the only time I can see this being used ethically. Maybe a barricaded suspect who has already shot and killed officers attempting to breach, but even then, you just continue waiting him out with the seige.

edit: mass shooter with available targets outside their building (think Vegas shooter) I could see it being a possibility if human officers can’t get to the shooter due to some Booby trap or exposed choke point.
I think anyone who’s armed and considered a threat to the public if he escapes is probably a candidate for justified robo-blasting.

I have never seen that. I will have to check it out. Tom Selleck was great in just about everything but Mr. Baseball.
I saw it again recently for the first time since maybe the 90s?

Tom Selleck in his Magnum PI era was very good. Gene Simmons was great. Such an underrated villain. Kirstie Alley annoying af, as usual but she really looked good.

I hope we all get robots to do our jobs and we just control the robot from home.

on a serious note; a drone to take out an armed subject in a hostage or mass casualty event makes a lot of sense.

What color will these robots be painted?

yeah, it's crap. Cinema CGI hasn't topped practical effects ajn I actually think it's deteriorating . I can't get over that giant cartoon Octopus at the start of Doctor Strange

Nobody wants to sound like a hipster but I just prefer practical effects with maybe some cgi enhancement at most.

Back