Law San Francisco approves police use of robots in lethal force situations

nhbbear

Duty Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
San Fran council approved a police petition to be able to use robots to defuse lethal force situations despite the objections of some in the community that expressed fears that the tools will be used on the poor in disproportionate numbers.

This comes in the wake of the first time a robot was used to take out a suspect in Dallas a few years ago. That suspect had shot five police officers and was taken out by a bomb robot armed with explosives.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/san-francisco-approval-police-deploy-deadly-lethal-robots/

Last edited:
San Fran council approved a police petition to be able to use robots to defuse lethal force situations despite the objections of some in the community that expressed fears that the tools will be used on the poor in disproportionate numbers.

This comes in the wake of the first time a robot was used to take out a suspect in Dallas a few years ago. That suspect had shot five police officers and was taken out by a bomb robot armed with explosives.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/san-francisco-approval-police-deploy-deadly-lethal-robots/
Inching closer towards a full Judge Dredd society.

If use of robotics saves lives I am all for it. If you do not need to put folks in personal danger why not. Also if this equipment is to be used...I think it should be used in areas with the most crime, if that happens to be a poor neighborhood okay so what? You put a band-aid on the cut not over your mouth. Side note when you have SF cops retiring or transferring in droves, and a DA who refuses to prosecute criminals, who go right back on the street, maybe it is time for innovation.

Last edited:
AchingWhimsicalIbis.webp

ChillyRevolvingArcticwolf.webp

DenseEssentialGroundhog.webp

Bdzt.gif

I'm not against the idea but I think Robocop covered the potential downsides pretty well. Actually, I think the 80s really covered this subject well. Kind of interesting that we're going down that road anyway.

Edit: I was late on the RoboCop gif. :(

Why not use remotely controlled drones?
In that case the lethal decision is made by a human who can be held responsible.

As in AI options or like a bomb squad robot controlled by remote that now has a handgun attached to take out a suspect rather than breaching with men?

Biggest concern I see is video and audio quality and angles being related to the pilot to get the whole story and if there are any other options.

Vast majority of police shoots are due to officer fearing for their safety. Remove the officer, and there goes that justification to shoot. And I doubt this thing is accurate enough for narrow window shots of hostage situations.

a suicide bomber holed up somewhere is about the only time I can see this being used ethically. Maybe a barricaded suspect who has already shot and killed officers attempting to breach, but even then, you just continue waiting him out with the seige.

edit: mass shooter with available targets outside their building (think Vegas shooter) I could see it being a possibility if human officers can’t get to the shooter due to some Booby trap or exposed choke point.

Why not use remotely controlled drones?
In that case the lethal decision is made by a human who can be held responsible.

Bomb robots still are operated by an officer and this does open the door for drones

"Don't worry citizens, we haven't mounted guns on our robots... *ahem* yet. We have no plans to abuse this legislation, but we will have full ability to do so if we want to... Okay fine you win: we'll totally abuse it. You're welcome."

If someone is actively shooting at police officers, then I'm all for it. Once you make that decision and cross that bridge, I say you get what you get

I have never seen that. I will have to check it out. Tom Selleck was great in just about everything but Mr. Baseball.

It was great in the mid 80s. Not sure how it plays now haha. Now I'm thinking of watching it if I can find it.

Bomb robots still are operated by an officer and this does open the door for drones
Whale, those are essentially drones, not full AI robots. Does make a difference.

I am picturing a Number Johnny 5 type robot with a bomb taped to it

latest

As in AI options or like a bomb squad robot controlled by remote that now has a handgun attached to take out a suspect rather than breaching with men?

Biggest concern I see is video and audio quality and angles being related to the pilot to get the whole story and if there are any other options.

Vast majority of police shoots are due to officer fearing for their safety. Remove the officer, and there goes that justification to shoot. And I doubt this thing is accurate enough for narrow window shots of hostage situations.

a suicide bomber holed up somewhere is about the only time I can see this being used ethically. Maybe a barricaded suspect who has already shot and killed officers attempting to breach, but even then, you just continue waiting him out with the seige.

edit: mass shooter with available targets outside their building (think Vegas shooter) I could see it being a possibility if human officers can’t get to the shooter due to some Booby trap or exposed choke point.

I agree except about the last part. Fatigue becomes an issue and at what point do you call it? In Dallas they tried to wait that guy out but he continued to fire off shots

Back