Law San Francisco approves police use of robots in lethal force situations

If it helps officers avoid unnecessary danger, I'm all for it. I'd be skeptical if it was a fully autonomous robot, instead of being controlled remotely by someone trained to do so. Also, all interactions need to be recorded as well. There's a 100% chance the robots will be categorized as racist somehow. Some way. Any way possible, I'm sure. We saw it when they used a robot strapped with C4 to take out Micah X. Johnson, a black supremacist who had just slaughtered multiple police officers in Dallas back in 2016. No concern over the dead cops, just "Why did they need a robot? They never have before."

Let's see what these robots look like and how they will be armed. Also, will the robot be able to avoid being disarmed by any criminal as well? There's a lot of liability to go over, but the idea seems like a good one as it would make engagements with some criminals as safer for police.

So Chris Dorner was a trial run….

interesting

AchingWhimsicalIbis.webp

ChillyRevolvingArcticwolf.webp

DenseEssentialGroundhog.webp

My immediate first thought, lol

I agree except about the last part. Fatigue becomes an issue and at what point do you call it? In Dallas they tried to wait that guy out but he continued to fire off shots

Continuing to fire shots makes him still a deadly threat. We get a lot around here where suspect is barricaded but no one is in direct danger even though the suspect has weapons.

Police don't enter due to that creating the lethal risk that doesn't exist without an entry. Fatigue sets in on the suspect too. I'd hate for this to be an "easy out" option, as opposed to just continued waiting where no one is getting hurt.

Continuing to fire shots makes him still a deadly threat. We get a lot around here where suspect is barricaded but no one is in direct danger even though the suspect has weapons.

Police don't enter due to that creating the lethal risk that doesn't exist without an entry. Fatigue sets in on the suspect too. I'd hate for this to be an "easy out" option, as opposed to just continued waiting where no one is getting hurt.

I don’t totally disagree, I just think there is a limit to resources that can be taken away ti deal with a murder suspect that won’t surrender after lesser methods (tear gas) have failed

Quick question....These assholes that denounce measures to arrest and detain criminals because the criminals tend to be poor and minorities.....What the hell are you supposed to do? Let everyone go or let them commit crimes? Because that is what Liberal cities are doing and it doesn't seem to work.

6 months until the wealthy have police robots patrolling their mansons.

Interesting, what could go wrong?
On the surface, seems like a good idea.

Lol a the thought of police having to clean homeless people's shit off the robots feet after it is released into the street to do a job. I'm sure they will just step right in it.

Back