Sambo thread!

I want to know about this position. Do you get 1 point in SAMBO for it?

https://forums.sherdog.com/attachments/take-the-back-png.808694/

No.
Positions do not award points in SAMBO.
- Pinning the opponent with his back against the ground with control for 10 and 20 seconds awards points (once per match). Doesn't really matter whether it is mount, half guard, full guard, side control, kesa gatame, etc, as long as it fulfills it's purpose of pinning the shoulder blades to the mat with control.
I think it's impossible to pin an opponent to the ground while taking his back.
- Throws score points depending on the starting position and final position of the attacker and defender.

No.
Positions do not award points in SAMBO.
- Pinning the opponent with his back against the ground with control for 10 and 20 seconds awards points (once per match). Doesn't really matter whether it is mount, half guard, full guard, side control, kesa gatame, etc, as long as it fulfills it's purpose of pinning the shoulder blades to the mat with control.
I think it's impossible to pin an opponent to the ground while taking his back.
- Throws score points depending on the starting position and final position of the attacker and defender.

Yeah, It seems that the guy that said me this mistook FICW COMBAT WRESTLING for SAMBO. The rules of Combat Wrestling was in the US sambo site. The motherf*cker cant read i suppose.

Are guys like sambo steve, scott sonnon, krisk ivansovic(?) Still active in the sambo community?

Are guys like sambo steve, scott sonnon, krisk ivansovic(?) Still active in the sambo community?

Sonnon and Iatskevich both got caught faking parts of their backgrounds. Sonnon is still active with fitness and self defense training if I'm not mistaken. Iatskevich lost everything once he got exposed, no idea what he does now but it's not martial arts related.

Sonnon and Iatskevich both got caught faking parts of their backgrounds. Sonnon is still active with fitness and self defense training if I'm not mistaken. Iatskevich lost everything once he got exposed, no idea what he does now but it's not martial arts related.
Iatskevich stuck around for a bit after it came out that he wasn't Alexander Iatskevich's son. Jake Shannon and Koepfer both stood by him, at least for a while. I don't know if Glorenfidel still posts here, but he trained at Iatskevich's gym. He'd probably know.

I gotta say, Iatskevich was always nice to me to the extent that I interacted with him online. And he seemed to be a good trainer from what I could tell. Although Shannon's treatment of him versus Cecchine or Matt Furey or others definitely revealed some of Shannon's hypocrisy.

Iatskevich stuck around for a bit after it came out that he wasn't Alexander Iatskevich's son. Jake Shannon and Koepfer both stood by him, at least for a while. I don't know if Glorenfidel still posts here, but he trained at Iatskevich's gym. He'd probably know.

I gotta say, Iatskevich was always nice to me to the extent that I interacted with him online. And he seemed to be a good trainer from what I could tell. Although Shannon's treatment of him versus Cecchine or Matt Furey or others definitely revealed some of Shannon's hypocrisy.

How the fuq do you pretend to be to be someones son? Wtf?

Sorry for hijacking the sambo thread.

I don't really have any issues with Shannon but his role is more of a salesman than a wrestler. This got really exposed when met Brian from teach me grappling.

He also lacks the coaching skills and knowledge on how modern grappling works. He was commenting on the Sapateiro event were Curran lost his title, he was completly clueless on what was happening in the BJJ matches. That is another weakness as a coach.

I think it's better to follow the actual catch wrestlers that go out there and spread the arts through competing. Johnny Buck is one example. Catch needs less salesmen and more wrestlers.

How the fuq do you pretend to be to be someones son? Wtf?

It's the most common trick on how to become a catch wrestling coach. Iatskevich thought it would also work out in the Sambo community. Just watch a bunch of videos, claim you got taught privately by some old pro wrestler. Preferably you pick a dead one or one that is too old to use the internet so he will never know that he suddenly got a lineage of catch wrestling students.

Sorry for hijacking the sambo thread.

I don't really have any issues with Shannon but his role is more of a salesman than a wrestler. This got really exposed when met Brian from teach me grappling.

He also lacks the coaching skills and knowledge on how modern grappling works. He was commenting on the Sapateiro event were Curran lost his title, he was completly clueless on what was happening in the BJJ matches. That is another weakness as a coach.

I think it's better to follow the actual catch wrestlers that go out there and spread the arts through competing. Johnny Buck is one example. Catch needs less salesmen and more wrestlers.

It's the most common trick on how to become a catch wrestling coach. Iatskevich thought it would also work out in the Sambo community. Just watch a bunch of videos, claim you got taught privately by some old pro wrestler. Preferably you pick a dead one or one that is too old to use the internet so he will never know that he suddenly got a lineage of catch wrestling students.

I don't want to hijack the thread either, but I will just say that I don't feel the same way at all as far as catch-wrestling goes. I mean, I met Curran Jacobs, we rolled a bit, he seemed cool, but he's got nothing to do with why I identify with catch-wrestling or am interested by it. Neither do any of these contemporary guys that are competing with pins and submissions. Its the techniques and the style employed by guys like Lou Thesz, Ken Shamrock, Masakatsu Funaki, Ed Lewis, Sakuraba, Fujiwara, Kiyoshi Tamura, etc. that means something to me. I was able to learn from them and incorporate what I learned into my game and basically every match I've won or even scored offense in I owe in part to that general style. Its the style and the techniques that mean something to me, not the guys that happen to be competing under a specific set of rules. And in that sense, people who can put out material related to that style and those techniques have some importance to me.

As far as Jake Shannon, the guy used to ask me to use my position as a moderator on Sherdog to censure people that criticized him. And he has definitely displayed a double-standard when you compare his attitude towards Matt Furey and Tony Cecchine. There's no way around it; on one hand, he was supposed to be a man who wanted the objective, authentic truth when it came to Furey and Cecchine and was constantly investigating their claims, whereas with Kris, he acted like it didn't really matter. He isn't a bad guy, but he is a hypocrite.

Last edited:
Steve is.
LOL. Have not been in here in years. Just popping my head in because someone pm'd me. Looks like nothing has changed LOL. People are still misunderstanding sambo and talkjng about catch frauds. It is like a time warp.

OK, I hope the mods will sticky this :D

There are so many "what is sambo?" threads, I figured one resource would be great. I started by posting some links, videos, articles, etc. Please feel free to discuss sambo all you want. But, let's keep it informative...not adversarial.

Articles and Interviews:

2009 JiuJitsu Kit Blog interview regarding sambo:
Sambo For Jiu Jitsu Students: An Interview With The President Of The American Sambo Association Jiu Jitsu Kit

2008 Slate Magazine article on Russia and Sambo:
From Russia with blood: beauty and beasts in St. Petersburg. (1) - By Matthew Polly - Slate Magazine

2008 NY Times Article on sambo:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/19/sports/othersports/19fight.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Sambo&st=nyt

Interview on Punch, Kick, Choke Blog:
Punch Kick Choke- the Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) Blog

Budo Vidoes Interview:
American Sambo Association | Press & Documents

My article on throwing from Ultimate Grappling Mag:
http://ussambo.com/PDFS/press_10_19_06.pdf

My article on Sambo leg locks from Ultimate Grappling Mag:
http://ussambo.com/PDFS/press_cl_leg_locks.pdf

My 2006 article on sambo for Ultimate Grappling Mag. it is a bit dated, but the history is still good.
http://ussambo.com/PDFS/press_strugglingtosurvive.pdf

Some educational videos:

NY Times Mini-Documentary on Sambo:
YouTube - NYTimes.com - The Perfect Throw

Training Sambo in Russia Part 1
YouTube - Training Sambo in Russia - Video Journal part 1/4
Training Sambo in Russia Part 2
YouTube - Training Sambo in Russia - Video Journal part 2/4
Training Sambo in Russia Part 3
YouTube - Training Sambo in Russia - Video Journal part 3/4
Training Sambo in Russia Part 4
YouTube - Training Sambo in Russia - Video Journal part 4/4

2008 US Team Montage:
YouTube - 2008 World Sambo Championships: US Team Montage

Sambo Lecture and Demo from Russia part 1
YouTube - Combat Sambo Lecture and Seminar - Part 1
Sambo Lecture and Demo from Russia part 2
YouTube - Combat Sambo Lecture and Seminar - Part 2
Sambo Lecture and Demo from Russia part 3
YouTube - Combat Sambo Lecture and Seminar - Part 3

Major Sambo Organizations in the US:
Welcome to the American Sambo Association
American Amateur Sambo Federation

FIAS (International Federation of Amateur Sambo):
www.sambo.com

"Giless" Sambo would be awesome.

I can't quite understand the criteria for scoring when an opponent bails out and goes prone under threat of a throw. I thought that was always supposed to be points? Can't really find a video that explains the Nuance of that scoring criteria...

The best in the sambo is Khabib
Khabib was a wrestler first then he got into sambo later on in life as is the norm with all kids in that area that's why they are such incredible mixed martial artist... imagine if they did Muay Thai instead of karate!?!?

"Giless" Sambo would be awesome.

I can't quite understand the criteria for scoring when an opponent bails out and goes prone under threat of a throw. I thought that was always supposed to be points? Can't really find a video that explains the Nuance of that scoring criteria...

Any type of passivity or stalling is penalized.
1st warning =1 point to opponent
2nd warning = 2 points to opponent
3rd warning = dq

"
Stalling is considered to be:
a) intentional stepping off the mat in Standing position or crawling off in Ground
position;
b) no real attempts to apply holds in Standing position;
c) imitation of attacks (false attack); to assume exclusively the defensive posture in Standing combat;
d) stalling from the holds in Standing position;
e) switching to Ground positions with no real attempts to apply a hold;
f) obvious pushing the opponent off the mat.
"

Any type of passivity or stalling is penalized.
1st warning =1 point to opponent
2nd warning = 2 points to opponent
3rd warning = dq

"
Stalling is considered to be:
a) intentional stepping off the mat in Standing position or crawling off in Ground
position;
b) no real attempts to apply holds in Standing position;
c) imitation of attacks (false attack); to assume exclusively the defensive posture in Standing combat;
d) stalling from the holds in Standing position;
e) switching to Ground positions with no real attempts to apply a hold;
f) obvious pushing the opponent off the mat.
"

While the rules sound good as written I don't think they're enforced that way... are there variant versions of sport Sambo?

They should add a step out Point like Freestyle and score any takedown where you land in a dominant position (that would be awesome)

Create a giless version and you've got the world's greatest grappling sport.

While the rules sound good as written I don't think they're enforced that way... are there variant versions of sport Sambo?

They should add a step out Point like Freestyle and score any takedown where you land in a dominant position (that would be awesome)

Create a giless version and you've got the world's greatest grappling sport.

I can say that the ruleset works well enough to keep the pace and the rules are enforced as written in all major competitions. It helps a lot in favor that the main referee can consult with the table and with the head competition referee.
There are penalties for getting pushed out. It is enforced like stalling, pretty much. Timidity. Stepping out, no.
All takedowns score, as long as the opponent lands on the back, side, stomach (and ass) .
If they land on their hands/knees (no shoulder, hip, stomach contact with the mat) there's no score. But if someone keeps getting thrown around and all he does is defend and land continously to avoid getting scored, he'll get penalized.

I can say that the ruleset works well enough to keep the pace and the rules are enforced as written in all major competitions. It helps a lot in favor that the main referee can consult with the table and with the head competition referee.
There are penalties for getting pushed out. It is enforced like stalling, pretty much. Timidity. Stepping out, no.
All takedowns score, as long as the opponent lands on the back, side, stomach (and ass) .
If they land on their hands/knees (no shoulder, hip, stomach contact with the mat) there's no score. But if someone keeps getting thrown around and all he does is defend and land continously to avoid getting scored, he'll get penalized.
since landing on the hands and knees and getring pushed out yield no score the athlete always has a bailout option and that hurts the sport but its way better than any other lapel grappling Style ESPECIALLY the IJF Judo we see today!

create a giless version and add a 1 point step out and I'm pretty sure you've got the ultimate MMA/ self-defense crossover grappling sport, I think sambo has a good future in the United States especially with the rising dominance of Russian mixed martial arts competitors a la what gracie bjj did for the sport of BJJ

im supprised sport sambo dosent allow chokes...thats a massive problem for crossover but at least they are part of the ultimate curriculum

Last edited:
Back