Saenchai willing to fight McGregor

Some of the reasons Thai fighters will find it difficult to transition to MMA:

• MMA is illegal in Thailand, though we see some organizations do shows (lol quick did you know: prostitution is illegal in Thailand). Meaning it would be much more difficult to make a living training MMA, unless a Thai is well off enough to afford the training or are young and fighting Thai boxing out of Tiger, AKA, etc. it isn't a viable option financially. By the time most Thais have made a name for themselves and gyms would bring them in as trainer at these MMA gyms they are often past their prime as opposed to training from a young age.
  • Thai boxing promoters want Thai boxers to do Thai boxing. But with the introduction of Full Metal Dojo (owned by two wealthy Thais I believe?), and night club owners making money off the fights we could see things change. If local promoters see it as a financially viable option rather than a threat to their piece of the pie (as opposed to foreign promoters making all the money) we could see things change in the future.
  • Language Barrier: A lot of top MMA/Jiu Jitsu coaches, even if they visited Thailand, cannot speak Thai. While things can still be communicated, it would be more time consuming and difficult.
  • Lack of popularity: While it may become more popular over time its not right now and Thais aren't big trash talkers so I would imagine its harder to rope in the casual fans as well. To them its more about national pride when they compete internationally, having Dejdamrong as a One FC Champion is a step in the right direction.
But under the right circumstances Thailand would of course produce some VERY competitive MMA fighters!

Last edited:
We really should be talking about this Saenchai would fight Mcgregor and Buakaw vs Yi Long stuff in the worldwide forum I suppose but no one would know who we were talking about.

Ofcourse you're always on topic Brock, you love staying on topic. I think you love it more than shitting on entire ethnic group of people, but I could be wrong.
i am not brock and i don't shit on ethnic groups. stop calling me rascist, pulling the rac card is the weakest thing to do since i havent made 1 rascist comment. you just can't say anything against my ontopic reasoning. there are no succesfull high level crossover from mt in mma in over 20 years. mma is growing, the money is there. the incentive is there. but there is no succes coming from muay thai into mma. that has nothing to do with ethnicity or race.

fantasy match up prediction: conor by first round tko

Some of the reasons Thai fighters will find it difficult to transition to MMA:

• MMA is illegal in Thailand, though we see some organizations do shows (lol quick did you know: prostitution is illegal in Thailand). Meaning it would be much more difficult to make a living training MMA, unless a Thai is well off enough to afford the training or are young and fighting Thai boxing out of Tiger, AKA, etc. it isn't a viable option financially. By the time most Thais have made a name for themselves and gyms would bring them in as trainer at these MMA gyms they are often past their prime as opposed to training from a young age.
  • Thai boxing promoters want Thai boxers to do Thai boxing. But with the introduction of Full Metal Dojo (owned by two wealthy Thais I believe?), and night club owners making money off the fights we could see things change. If local promoters see it as a financially viable option rather than a threat to their piece of the pie (as opposed to foreign promoters making all the money) we could see things change in the future.
  • Language Barrier: A lot of top MMA/Jiu Jitsu coaches, even if they visited Thailand, cannot speak Thai. While things can still be communicated, it would be more time consuming and difficult.
  • Lack of popularity: While it may become more popular over time its not right now and Thais aren't big trash talkers so I would imagine its harder to rope in the casual fans as well. To them its more about national pride when they compete internationally, having Dejdamrong as a One FC Champion is a step in the right direction.
But under the right circumstances Thailand would of course produce some VERY competitive MMA fighters!
why is mma illegal in thailand? to protect muay thai? i thought most mt fans are soccer fans now

why is mma illegal in thailand? to protect muay thai? i thought most mt fans are soccer fans now
Supposedly because its "too brutal" and could potentially "hurt the image of Muay Thai." Something along those lines but many theorize its more to protect Muay Thai financially, take your pick. Remember soccer isn't organized by the same people...

MMA is not illegal in Thailand never was!

Supposedly because its "too brutal" and could potentially "hurt the image of Muay Thai." Something along those lines but many theorize its more to protect Muay Thai financially, take your pick.
my guess is to protect the image of muay thai being the best/most effective martial art. it would take a big a hit when strikers get thrown on their back and lose.

I have no idea the same people who run Muay Thai could be making money off MMA, so if thats true its silly.

aha, different take. interesting.

if it's not illegal, are there examples of local mma event in thailand?
Dare was the first, Full Metal Dojo is the big local promotion from what I understand, wouldnt be surprised if One FC made an appearance.

When I reference it being illegal or banned from what I understand is that its harder to promote shows, not impossible though. Anorak would definitely know better than me though! Looking forward to him clarifying because I have never understood whats going on with that situation...But the sport authority of thailand banned it right?!
http://www.mymuaythai.com/archives/thailand-bans-mma/
http://m.bangkokpost.com/news/287953
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/Thailand-bans-MMA-394153
I was there when this happened so I am crazy confused right now because obviously Anorak would know (and I don't mean that sarcastically)...

Last edited:
it's answer D: none of the above.

point still stands, the so called potential for high level crossover we haven't seen in more than 20 years of mma. the promotional talk saenchai is using and people actually getting high on it is ridiculous. conor will never fight saenchai because he is no challenge and it brings him nothing financially. saenchai is just looking for a real pay day

Just to point something out here.

20 years is not a long time for a sport to be around. For God's sake, the UFC only became a thing to the average person in North America 10 years ago and didn't start selling huge numbers of PPV's until 7 years ago.

We've seen Wrestlers, BJJ guys, and strikers from North and South America and Europe compete in MMA for awhile now and it's exploded in various part of the world, but Thai's have, from what I know, little knowledge still about MMA and are more interested in Muay Thai clearly as it is their national sport.

You have to remember as well, most of the kids who learn Muay Thai to compete are poor and can most likely learn Muay Thai easier than MMA, which requires classes in several sports, that doesn't come cheap. I know for a fact that BJJ was always considered a rich mans martial art in Brazil.

I'm aware of one gym in Thailand that even teaches MMA classes and that's Tiger Muay Thai, for tourists it's pretty costly to stay and train there.

Last edited:
20 years is not a long time for a sport to be around. For God's sake, the UFC only became a thing to the average person in North America 10 years ago and didn't start selling huge numbers of PPV's until 7 years ago.

I'm aware of one gym in Thailand that even teaches MMA classes and that's Tiger Muay Thai, for tourists it's pretty costly to stay and train there.

Lol there weren't any Irish MMA Champions a couple years ago is the funniest thing about it. MMA gyms are sprouting up everywhere, even gyms like AKA and Team Quest have opened up there.

When I reference it being illegal or banned from what I understand is that its harder to promote shows, not impossible though. Anorak would definitely know better than me though! Looking forward to him clarifying because I have never understood whats going on with that situation...But the sport authority of thailand banned it right?!
http://www.mymuaythai.com/archives/thailand-bans-mma/
http://m.bangkokpost.com/news/287953
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/Thailand-bans-MMA-394153
I was there when this happened so I am crazy confused right now because obviously Anorak would know (and I don't mean that sarcastically)...
It was never banned as I said, the sports authority of Thailand said they would not recognise it as a sport, it was then blown out of proportion and misquoted and obviously something like this would get a lot of attention online, but it was never banned, just not recognised, which would make things difficult holding events I think insurance wise.

aha, different take. interesting.

if it's not illegal, are there examples of local mma event in thailand?
kunlun had them on the event over the weekend in pattaya. Full metal dojo is a mma promotion out of thailand also. One fc is headed to bangkok in a few months and ch 8 just started airing the ufc ppv events

kunlun had them on the event over the weekend in pattaya. Full metal dojo is a mma promotion out of thailand also. One fc is headed to bangkok in a few months and ch 8 just started airing the ufc ppv events
Wow, that's great news. So much happening, the fact that the UFC is airing on cable there is huge too.

From the sounds of it, things could begin to grow.

Exciting to think about.

I was told Petboonchu has been training MMA at Evolve gym but I think its more of him trying it out before he decides to compete.

Just to point something out here.

We've seen Wrestlers, BJJ guys, and strikers from North and South America and Europe compete in MMA for awhile now and it's exploded in various part of the world, but Thai's have, from what I know, little knowledge still about MMA and are more interested in Muay Thai clearly as it is their national sport.

You have to remember as well, most of the kids who learn Muay Thai to compete are poor and can most likely learn Muay Thai easier than MMA, which requires classes in several sports, that doesn't come cheap. I know for a fact that BJJ was always considered a rich mans martial art in Brazil.

yes well on this we can agree, you've got your facts streight, i just don't share your (optimistic) view. I often read how easy it would be for mt fighters to have succes in mma if they just 'learn tdd and submission defense'.

well that's the thing, that's not so easy. and the striking is also different. a big cage is not like a small ring and small gloves with the threat of takedowns changes the complexity of striking. karate guys, kickboxers and boxers etc have had mixed succes. some better than others, but when it comes to muay thai. we just don't know. so i don't see it happening.

part of why mt fighters and especially mt fighters out of thailand are so good at striking is because they do it their entire life and with a shitload of brutal fights from an infants age onward. that takes a toll on the body and leaves a smaller time and health frame to develop mma skills. it hasnt happened till this day and i don't see it happening in the near future, maybe in the distant future

doesn't sound like it's banned. maybe they only try to discourage it

Back