Saddest BJ Penn fans moments?

Pretty sure he's only one of 2 legit 2 division champs

Won and defended the LW strap several times over.

Fought at 3 different weights, won titles in two, including a win over an unstoppable Matt Hughes.

He never won an interim belt, he never beat a paper champ, he never beat a chump to become champ (well OK Stevenson but he made it legit by stopping Sherk right after)

He was a legit champ. A legit 2 divisional champ. One of the earliest guys to be truly well-rounded and one of the few to be successful across the time span he was successful in.

It sucks for every fighter I'm sure when their career comes to an end and I'm sure BJ has a lot of regrets about things he could have done differently, but he did it his way and his legacy is WAY more than a highlight reel.
I was using his own words about the highlight reel bit. Believe me, I'm well aware of Penn's achievements and his status in the sport

Every time he went for that joke of a trashtalk.

Never been a big fan of BJ, but GSP/Penn 2, Diaz, Rory, and especially Edgar 3 were hard to watch.

Against Diaz he had a pretty good 1st round and then got absolutely battered. Rory just beat the shit out of him. But his performance against Edgar in the 3rd fight was just god awful... I mean I didn't expect him to win and he's obviously past his prime, but jesus fucking christ... what in the hell was he thinking?

GSP 2

I'm a GSP fan but I was a bigger fan of BJ than I've ever been of a fighter before or since. Sherdog was an absolutely miserable place after that one. I've never seen so much disrespect to a legitimate legend in MMA, and so many punks gloating over something as if it were a personal victory for them. That sucked.

TBH BJ fanboys brought it on themselves with all the disrespect against GSP (Penn fanbase is still widely considered the worst in MMA), with all that "George has no heart! Matt Serra made him tap LOLOLOL what a coward, Penn would rather die than quit in a fight"
"To teh death George!"
Fucking coward punks...

Then GSP made him quit, so what was left to do aside from making fun of BJ's nuthuggers? Had Penn won, they would have shown no mercy.

The whole greasing accusations (among other things) made it hard to feel bad for him too...
BJ wanted to show the world that GSP had no hearth... and it backfired big time.

Against Edgar III on the other hand, it was hard no to feel bad for him. That stance... :( Why? I just want to know why...

BJ-Frankie II

Nowhere near his worst ass-whipping. But he came out as passive and uninterested as I'd ever seen him, and I knew he had quit caring.

His recent fights have just made me shake my head. There's no bigger fan of BJ Penn in this world, but the guy barely even attempted offense since the Hughes fight. Then he did his E.T. impression with Frankie III. It was sad but not freshly sad for me.

Against Edgar III on the other hand, it was hard no to feel bad for him. That stance... :( Why? I just want to know why...

Rogan said everyone he's asked about it all said the same thing that BJ decided it would let him conserve energy into the later rounds. That he'd found it didn't tire him as bad in camp.

And yeah, that explanation only makes it more bizarre in my opinion.

BJ getting battered by Nick Diaz was hard to watch. It was the most damaged he's ever been in a stand up fight.

i8FzojjcRMoJP.gif

Rogan said everyone he's asked about it all said the same thing that BJ decided it would let him conserve energy into the later rounds. That he'd found it didn't tire him as bad in camp.

And yeah, that explanation only makes it more bizarre in my opinion.

In mine as well... but thanks for the answer!

The day he beat Hughes for the WW title, that changed his whole career and made him think he could compete up in weight.

would have rather watched him spend his prime smashing guys at 155.

Pretty sure he's only one of 2 legit 2 division champs

Won and defended the LW strap several times over.

Fought at 3 different weights, won titles in two, including a win over an unstoppable Matt Hughes.

He never won an interim belt, he never beat a paper champ, he never beat a chump to become champ (well OK Stevenson but he made it legit by stopping Sherk right after)

He was a legit champ. A legit 2 divisional champ. One of the earliest guys to be truly well-rounded and one of the few to be successful across the time span he was successful in.

It sucks for every fighter I'm sure when their career comes to an end and I'm sure BJ has a lot of regrets about things he could have done differently, but he did it his way and his legacy is WAY more than a highlight reel.

I think he's barely a highlight reel memory for me - his 'legacy' is shot, he's more of right place at the right time kinda guy, in that he had some success in the early UFC, but once others started training and entering the organization they beat him silly ( and easily) His early success is like baseball records from the 1920s--irrelevant today.

Anybody with double digit losses....at age 35!!!...can only be mediocre at best. If he is a 'legend' then the basically same aged 3-0 Frankie Edgar must be a god!

Obviously I'm not a Penn fan, I don't get the love he gets, he was an average fighter than seemed to be a poor winner and an even poorer loser

BJ's inability to win the 155 title during his first stint in the UFC was so frustrating. Losing to Pulver and drawing with Uno... that hurt.

Like many, many fighters before him (and sure to be many, many fighters after him), Penn stayed in the sport too long and got his ass handed to him at the end of his career. Hard to say what the saddest was.

Surely the most embarrassing had to be Penn-GSP II. Rarely has a fighter shown less class both before and after a fight.

man... this is really depressing discussion about a HOF fighter. That dude was fun to watch for a lot of years. The range of his skill set is something that we know take for granted in the sport but was really advanced for when he got into MMA.

Remember the good times.

The moment I saw him in that tip toe old timey stick up his ass boxing stance against Edgar. Man, I was crushed.

Same here. Grankie already had his number, and that stance was an invitation to take his ass down, which Frankie did.

BJ vs Edgar 2 and 3

When mama Penn came out to fight his battles for him after

2cftg0m.gif

Back