Saddest BJ Penn fans moments?

BJ getting battered by Nick Diaz was hard to watch. It was the most damaged he's ever been in a stand up fight.

5BeR2bz.png

The last thread lmfao!

Edgar II for me

Edgar III. I don't know what to say about it, other than what the fuck BJ?

I watch pretty much every UFC, but I still haven't seen BJ vs Edgar III. I felt it was obvious how it would go and that I'd be better off without seeing that one.
Seems like it was as bad a beating as I imagined it would be.

The look on his face when Gsp and Firas were jumping in celebration after the corner stopped the fight... Heartbreaking.

As I mild BJ Penn hater it was great seeing him and his fans humbled in the GSP II fight.... That, and when little Frankie Edgar beat him in the 2nd fight... All the other thrashings he took afterwards from the others guys were not much in comparison to that implosion on Sherdog and Penn's career.

I can't think of many fighters who tarnished their career because of fighting on more then Penn did.
When your heart goes in anything, especially in a sport, it's time to give up and Penn should have done that a lot sooner than he did.

Ye'old BJ "fisticuffs" Penn.

That was tough.... Did Edger ever say anything about that?

BJ Penn losing to Rory and Nick was sad for me. The third Edgar fight didn't tug my heart as a BJ Penn fan since I had a feeling that was a fight he couldn't win and the fact that Edgar predicted his own stoppage on the MMA Hour.

BJ VS Diaz, Nick was getting lit up until BJ gassed, again.

The fights were okay. They kind of come with the territory of liking fighters. You win some, you lose some.

method=get&s=bj-penn-07-07-2014-10-5-8-761.jpg

This however was really depressing. It almost always sucks when a fighter cries but BJ putting his head down and crying after reflecting that his legacy will be nothing but highlight reels was sad as fuck.

Definitely Penn/Edgar III - the fact that he looked terrible and the mood of the crowd after the fight killed it, the silence of the whole arena felt sorry for him. Hell, Edgar didn't even seem happy to win that fight.

Edgar 3 was the most depressing shit....I couldn't even watch it.

GSP 2

I'm a GSP fan but I was a bigger fan of BJ than I've ever been of a fighter before or since. Sherdog was an absolutely miserable place after that one. I've never seen so much disrespect to a legitimate legend in MMA, and so many punks gloating over something as if it were a personal victory for them. That sucked.

Second place is Edgar 2. BJ won the first fight, and I thought he'd get the title back but he just got dominated. It was one thing to see him get crushed against a WAY bigger guy who was also the GOAT, but when he lost at his own weight to a guy who just outperformed him, it looked like the end of the road for champion BJ so that sucked.

The fights at WW weren't fun but there were victories in there. He won the first round against Diaz, and even though Nick's always a slow starter that ain't half bad for a fedderweight. He lasted to a decision against Rory, which showed epic heart (which is something his haters said he didn't have). Obviously getting the rubber match win over Hughes was a last moment of glory. And the draw against Fitch was a big deal. Thank God it stopped Fitch's momentum toward a title shot he had no hope of winning that nobody actually wanted to see.

The third Frankie fight I mean nobody thought he'd win. Yeah he came out looking bizarre and downright sad but it was kind of one of those things where at that point you go "oh well"

The fights were okay. They kind of come with the territory of liking fighters. You win some, you lose some.

method=get&s=bj-penn-07-07-2014-10-5-8-761.jpg

This however was really depressing. It almost always sucks when a fighter cries but BJ putting his head down and crying after reflecting that his legacy will be nothing but highlight reels was sad as fuck.

I had to laugh at that considering how much shit he gave Andy Wang for crying after going full retard in a fight.

Pretty sure he's only one of 2 legit 2 division champs

Won and defended the LW strap several times over.

Fought at 3 different weights, won titles in two, including a win over an unstoppable Matt Hughes.

He never won an interim belt, he never beat a paper champ, he never beat a chump to become champ (well OK Stevenson but he made it legit by stopping Sherk right after)

He was a legit champ. A legit 2 divisional champ. One of the earliest guys to be truly well-rounded and one of the few to be successful across the time span he was successful in.

It sucks for every fighter I'm sure when their career comes to an end and I'm sure BJ has a lot of regrets about things he could have done differently, but he did it his way and his legacy is WAY more than a highlight reel.

Back