Ryan Hall training with Eddie Bravo - Good or Bad?

Because if you game is based on flexibility, facing someone more flexible than you doesn't negate your game. If your game is based on strength, facing someone stronger than you does negate your game.

its both changing your body to fit a game.

I'm going to have to find a way to Arlington, VA so I can train with Ryan.

dude that's a horrible fucking reason to not like rubber guard

you NEED to be flexible for bjj in the first place.

no you don't.

I'm a stocky ass wrestler and I was able to stretch for literally 2 months and I can do gogoplatas easily as fuck.

congrats... what do you want? a cookie? Why do you rarely/never see go go platas at the highest lvl of no gi grappling such as ADCC or No gi mundials?

I didn't know lockdown and rubber guard were fundamentally wrong LOL

did i say that?

I guess we need to call roger gracie and warn him that he needs to stop being such a white belt!

when has roger used the rubber guard in competition?

i've meet this one purple belt that trained with rickson one time. rickson was tying him up in knots with rubber guard...should we warn him too!?!?

rickson was playing around with him. Since you brought up rickson, rickson is easily as flexible as Eddie yet he doesn't teach techniques that require a specific set of physical traits.

Roger used something similar to RG against Xande in an ADCC match. I'm not sure what year, maybe 2003.

roger used an old school thing that is called the shawn williams guard...

Eddie commentates his grappling match so now Ryan should train with him? wtf? Should be the other way around, Ryan is by far a more accomplished grappler.

Yea. It looks similar to RG, but it obviously can't be Eddie's stuff because I'm pretty sure Royler vs Eddie was at the same competition.

Ryan just joined a new team...its called BRASA!!

I think Eddie wants to learn the 50/50 from Hall, really.

Hall looks to guys like Marcello Garcia for his game and as mentioned he's not keen on the idea of the rubber guard.

Why would you want to do a silly thing like learn a few sweeps from half guard when you can lock both of you in place and do absolutely nothing??

To the TS...
Ryan used to twister people in class all the time when he wanted to mess with them. He thought it was funny because he considers it a bogus move almost impossible to reliably achieve on anyone even close to elite-level. He always insists that we only use moves that are highly effective against the highest level opponents. Since only black belt Mundial and ADCC medalists are really the highest level, we shouldn't be using anything that they aren't able to make work against each other. He is a stickler for the basics in his students. I can't think of a single instance where RG was used at the Mundial this year in the black belt divisions at all, let alone among those who were winning those divisions. If you ask him, he'll tell you that it has a place in MMA, but mostly as a holding position to minimize damage taken in closed guard, not as a place you're likely to submit anyone from.

Ryan has accomplished a lot more than Eddie Bravo at the higher levels of BJJ so why would you be suggesting Ryan should learn from him instead of the other way around? Could we get a superfight going to decide?

I don't think u understood me. I am not in favour of the lockdown. It restricts your movement. I was saying that it is a bad idea to use the lock down as other very effective sweeps can't be done as you have restricted your own movement.

I personally like to keep switching guards till I find the one that works best for that situation. Changing from the 93 guard, to the half spider, to the deep half guard to the traditional deep underhook etc in no particular order.

no you don't.
uh yes you do. since you're convinced you don't, look at the elite. they are all flexible as hell. they all are capable of doing rubber guard. I've been told by my old coach eric lincoln that you HAVE to be flexible for bjj. and he SHITS on the rubber guard.

congrats... what do you want? a cookie? Why do you rarely/never see go go platas at the highest lvl of no gi grappling such as ADCC or No gi mundials?
lol disregarded for no real point

did i say that?.

not directed at you

when has roger used the rubber guard in competition?.
not directed at you, but he used it against xande. look it up.
Roger Gracie working Rubber Guard | LOCKFLOW.COM
lol @ Roger Gracie using rubber guard.... - Page 3 - CageWarriors Forum

rickson was playing around with him. Since you brought up rickson, rickson is easily as flexible as Eddie yet he doesn't teach techniques that require a specific set of physical traits.
lol "playing around", rickson doesn't just "play around", he was using rubber guard against a purple belt to get better at it. every time he rolls he's going seriously. he just brings himself to the level of his competition to work on some abstract part of his game.

And I know someone who went to a rickson seminar where he taught a rubber guard setup. You make it sound like using rubber guard is some kind of stupid technique. ITS JUST HIGH GUARD. ITS JUST HIGH GUARD......OMG

LOL. He used that, yes. But he also did these following tenth planet techniques
Zombie
Mission control
crack head control.

I don't remember exactly what else, but I think he might have gone to chill dawg. Did he learn this from tenth planet? No, probably not, but it's still the same fucking technique. To say that what he did is different than going to crackhead with the arm on the mat is retarded. It's the same technique. Get over yourself.

Not meaning to be awkward but, uh, despite all of that, uh...it didn't work?

Just saying. @_@

I'm sure there are people who have used it successfully at the top level, but using an example of possibly the greatest jiujitsu fighter of all time trying it, failing, and using something else isn't really a fair piece of evidence to throw in. >_<

Take care,

Oli

Not meaning to be awkward but, uh, despite all of that, uh...it didn't work?

Just saying. @_@

I'm sure there are people who have used it successfully at the top level, but using an example of possibly the greatest jiujitsu fighter of all time trying it, failing, and using something else isn't really a fair piece of evidence to throw in. >_<

Take care,

Oli

It is a good point and I won't say bullshit like "he shoulda trained it more" but the point remains, Roger gracie believed in his high guard, rubber guard, space shuttle control, whatever the hell you want to call it, roger believed in it enough to try and use it against an elite competitor.

I think that should say something.

If not, Whatever, I give up. I feel like at this point I'm just defending something that is just wasting my time

Well, true. But he also has never used it since, or at least not that anyone has videos of floating around.

Still, I'm honestly not bashing the 10th planet system. I've never been much of a closed guard guy, and my rubber guard is weak at best, but I've used elements from it, and my rubber-half-guard (! ^_-) is pretty solid, and I attribute playing with the 10th planet system for at least some of that.

I just think people namedropping my instructor as a positive case for rubber guard is a pretty bad example in this instance.

This is wildly off-topic, though. @_@

Keep fighting the fight, man. If no-one had anything to prove, there'd be no progress.

Take care,

Oli

Well, true. But he also has never used it since, or at least not that anyone has videos of floating around.

Still, I'm honestly not bashing the 10th planet system. I've never been much of a closed guard guy, and my rubber guard is weak at best, but I've used elements from it, and my rubber-half-guard (! ^_-) is pretty solid, and I attribute playing with the 10th planet system for at least some of that.

I just think people namedropping my instructor as a positive case for rubber guard is a pretty bad example in this instance.

This is wildly off-topic, though. @_@

Keep fighting the fight, man. If no-one had anything to prove, there'd be no progress.

Take care,

Oli
but it would have worked had Roger trained with Eddie!!! lol

Honestly, I think Roger's game has been set for a long long time now, he's just getting better at the same things. So even if he did train with Eddie, it would take a lot of convincing for him to step away from his usual things and learn something new to the standard required to use it on high level competition.

So yeah, maybe it would have. But I doubt it. @_@

Take care,

Oli

If anything, I'll bet Eddie could learn things from Ryans game more then vise versa.

Back