Ryan Hall training with Eddie Bravo - Good or Bad?

lol @ people on sherdog claiming a guard doesn't work

this just in - butterfly guard is fundamentally wrong because my brazilian instructor calls it butterguard. he passes it that easily

you can't tell some people shit.

everyone is a know it all.

I'm sure the a grown ass man like Hall knows what the hell he's doing,

and if he sees something that he can learn from EB and wants to do that, it's his business.

I'm certain he doesn't give a shit what nonya think.

Ryan Hall bashed the rubber guard at every opportunity in his Triangle DVD set...its a real slap in the face to Eddie Bravo, but everyone is entitled to his/her own opinions. I love that DVD set btw.

I watched a few that were on youtube but not the whole set...I really should get it!

That being said I dont understand why people bash other peoples game just bc it may or may not work for them! I happen to use rubber guard (see avatar) even though I never trained with Eddie or took any RG seminars and it works for me. However, I cant seem to get behind deep half guard but I dont go around shitting on Glover....bc obviously it works for him and some other people

Shittin on DoucheBag idiots like Ari Bolden is a different story!! He hasnt done anything to help BJJ, he is just trying to use BJJ to make money! And unlike normal instuctors who took the time to go thru the ranks before making money from teaching he skipped the whole learning thing and went right to teaching....so yea he sucks and deserves everything he gets!!

I watched a few that were on youtube but not the whole set...I really should get it!

That being said I dont understand why people bash other peoples game just bc it may or may not work for them! I happen to use rubber guard (see avatar) even though I never trained with Eddie or took any RG seminars and it works for me. However, I cant seem to get behind deep half guard but I dont go around shitting on Glover....bc obviously it works for him and some other people

Shittin on DoucheBag idiots like Ari Bolden is a different story!! He hasnt done anything to help BJJ, he is just trying to use BJJ to make money! And unlike normal instuctors who took the time to go thru the ranks before making money from teaching he skipped the whole learning thing and went right to teaching....so yea he sucks and deserves everything he gets!!

He didn't bash Eddie. People are taking the comments out of context.

I don't use the rubber guard and don't train with anyone that does. I have trained with people who use the lock down and I have found it only useful as a stalling technique. There are so many highly effective sweeps from the half guard, I can't believe people will lock themselves down with the lock down.

The main reason I am against the r g and Eddie bravo is because it's attribute based and Eddie even says that you should stretch and become flexible to use it. How is telling someone to become flexible via stretching for a long period of time than telling someone they need to be strong for a game thus they should lift?

He didn't bash Eddie. People are taking the comments out of context.

OK...like I said I didnt see it. Ryan seems like a stand up guy and I cant imagine him trying to shit on anyone. He might disagree with certain techniques but he most likely has a reason for it. He is one of the nicer guys I have met in BJJ. Id love to train with him at some point....he teaches with a lot of passion

Original post is just flawed in the evaluation of Ryan. his abillity to scramble and turn upside down has little to do with his success in the bigger sense. It's more so his ability to understand body mechanics, and that he works very hard in developing specific movements in response to that. You won't understand if you don't train with him. Eddie would be a waste of time for him because there are much better training partners in the area (that he already works with). As for rubbber guard, the lockdown, etc he has explained to us and showed us multiple times and in great detail why those positions are all fundamentally flawed.

So jealous of you for getting to train with him regularly.
BTW, who do I need to murder to get one of those fiftyfifty shirts?

lol @ people on sherdog claiming a guard doesn't work

this just in - butterfly guard is fundamentally wrong because my brazilian instructor calls it butterguard. he passes it that easily

romulo pulled off an armless triangle, but it is not really something that works a high percentage of the time.

i changed my mind and edited this post, because its not worth debating this with low belts that cant understand that just because something worked once on someone who doesnt know enough to defend it that it is proper technique. "well it works for me" is a a legitimate defense if you are competing at the highest level of the sport, otherwise it is a ridiculous comment.

zuzitsu... its a lot to type and im at a lanhouse in brazil right now. and honestly, if i took the time to type out half the things that ryan has literally sat and talked with me for hours about, it would just go over most sherdoggers head and id have to make 10 more posts correcting things taken out of context, and far reaching conclusions they jumped to. not to mention all the things that he actually demonstrated. when he was unlearning the lockdown for me (which i used with a ton of success throughout white belt tournaments), and fixing my half guard for example, he would ask me to take a position, up until the very last step before the sweep in the old school. he would then defend it entirely with both hands behind his back (literally) and then take me through the entire process, explaining what he did, why he did it, why what i did was wrong, why the position was flawed from the start, and then we began working on fixing it. i learn slow, and need things beaten into my head, so ryans method of explaining shit to death and then showing things helped me udnerstand a lot better than i could ever type in a post

Last edited:
The main reason I am against the r g and Eddie bravo is because it's attribute based and Eddie even says that you should stretch and become flexible to use it. How is telling someone to become flexible via stretching for a long period of time than telling someone they need to be strong for a game thus they should lift?

Because if you game is based on flexibility, facing someone more flexible than you doesn't negate your game. If your game is based on strength, facing someone stronger than you does negate your game.

I don't use the rubber guard and don't train with anyone that does. I have trained with people who use the lock down and I have found it only useful as a stalling technique. There are so many highly effective sweeps from the half guard, I can't believe people will lock themselves down with the lock down.

Why would you want to do a silly thing like learn a few sweeps from half guard when you can lock both of you in place and do absolutely nothing??

To the TS...
Ryan used to twister people in class all the time when he wanted to mess with them. He thought it was funny because he considers it a bogus move almost impossible to reliably achieve on anyone even close to elite-level. He always insists that we only use moves that are highly effective against the highest level opponents. Since only black belt Mundial and ADCC medalists are really the highest level, we shouldn't be using anything that they aren't able to make work against each other. He is a stickler for the basics in his students. I can't think of a single instance where RG was used at the Mundial this year in the black belt divisions at all, let alone among those who were winning those divisions. If you ask him, he'll tell you that it has a place in MMA, but mostly as a holding position to minimize damage taken in closed guard, not as a place you're likely to submit anyone from.

Ryan has accomplished a lot more than Eddie Bravo at the higher levels of BJJ so why would you be suggesting Ryan should learn from him instead of the other way around? Could we get a superfight going to decide?

So jealous of you for getting to train with him regularly.
BTW, who do I need to murder to get one of those fiftyfifty shirts?

just come train at the school, we have lots of them and in many pretty colors

dude that's a horrible fucking reason to not like rubber guard

you NEED to be flexible for bjj in the first place.

if you want to high kick someone then you are already flexible enough for rubber guard

I'm a stocky ass wrestler and I was able to stretch for literally 2 months and I can do gogoplatas easily as fuck.

I didn't know lockdown and rubber guard were fundamentally wrong LOL

I guess we need to call roger gracie and warn him that he needs to stop being such a white belt!

i've meet this one purple belt that trained with rickson one time. rickson was tying him up in knots with rubber guard...should we warn him too!?!?

Mat Nemesis said:
romulo pulled off an armless triangle, but it is not really something that works a high percentage of the time.
But that's just it, people make it seem like double underhooks lockdown is a low percentage posistion...if someone is flattening you out but you get the double underhooks you can now whip up to your side...I don't understand why people shit on the lockdown, at all.

It's just a half guard to use when you have to.

How novel, a technique that you can use when the conditions are correct. I'm not saying I only use lockdown, hell no - you need to be able to do deep half, turk, normal half guard, half butterfly...all that shit.

everything technique has a time and a place to be used. just like the armless triangle.

i changed my mind and edited this post, because its not worth debating this with low belts that cant understand that just because something worked once on someone who doesnt know enough to defend it that it is proper technique. "well it works for me" is a a legitimate defense if you are competing at the highest level of the sport, otherwise it is a ridiculous comment.

zuzitsu... its a lot to type and im at a lanhouse in brazil right now. and honestly, if i took the time to type out half the things that ryan has literally sat and talked with me for hours about, it would just go over most sherdoggers head and id have to make 10 more posts correcting things taken out of context, and far reaching conclusions they jumped to. not to mention all the things that he actually demonstrated. when he was unlearning the lockdown for me (which i used with a ton of success throughout white belt tournaments), and fixing my half guard for example, he would ask me to take a position, up until the very last step before the sweep in the old school. he would then defend it entirely with both hands behind his back (literally) and then take me through the entire process, explaining what he did, why he did it, why what i did was wrong, why the position was flawed from the start, and then we began working on fixing it. i learn slow, and need things beaten into my head, so ryans method of explaining shit to death and then showing things helped me udnerstand a lot better than i could ever type in a post

This is completely in-line with my impression of Ryan Hall that is purely based on watching his DVDs. I heard he studied engineering and he studies and explains BJJ like an engineer would, with an extreme amount of technical understanding and detail. Very cool. I really hope he does a seminar in my town someday.

Nah that makes a lot of sense...thanks for the reply! Id love to find the time to get down there soon!

This is completely in-line with my impression of Ryan Hall that is purely based on watching his DVDs. I heard he studied engineering and he studies and explains BJJ like an engineer would, with an extreme amount of technical understanding and detail. Very cool. I really hope he does a seminar in my town someday.

I really need to train under ryan hall one day. his dvds have shot my game up incredibly. I can only imagine what actually learning from him would do.

I really need to train under ryan hall one day. his dvds have shot my game up incredibly. I can only imagine what actually learning from him would do.

pretty sure it couldn't hurt.

I would def go to a seminar if he came to my part of cali

Back