Ryan Hall training with Eddie Bravo - Good or Bad?

Ryan Hall is better and more accomplished than Eddie Bravo. If anything Eddie should go to 50/50 to learn from Hall.

Honestly, I think Roger's game has been set for a long long time now, he's just getting better at the same things. So even if he did train with Eddie, it would take a lot of convincing for him to step away from his usual things and learn something new to the standard required to use it on high level competition.

So yeah, maybe it would have. But I doubt it. @_@

Take care,

Oli
lol obviously I was joking, there is not a single thing Eddie can teach Roger

I don't think u understood me. I am not in favour of the lockdown. It restricts your movement. I was saying that it is a bad idea to use the lock down as other very effective sweeps can't be done as you have restricted your own movement.

I personally like to keep switching guards till I find the one that works best for that situation. Changing from the 93 guard, to the half spider, to the deep half guard to the traditional deep underhook etc in no particular order.

Uh...I was joking. I agree with you, dude.

These EB threads have to stop. It's ridiculous how much traffic this guy sees on this site.

I'm a wrestler who does bjj/judo so don't bite my head off, but this is an honest question....

would you guys consider the inverted guard and 50/50 fundamental bjj?

edit: coach did recently show us a triangle set up using the inverted guard, so no judgments. just asking.

I wouldn't call them fundamental, but when the option is get passed or go to inverted guard, the choice is obvious.

I wouldn't call them fundamental, but when the option is get passed or go to inverted guard, the choice is obvious.

yup.

so what he said above can about wacky guards and shit without the fundamentals can apply to guards he uses even.

seems like less of a swipe at EB, and more like a a swipe at people who try to perform fancy techniques without owning the basics.

I'm a wrestler who does bjj/judo so don't bite my head off, but this is an honest question....

edit: coach did recently show us a triangle set up using the inverted guard, so no judgments. just asking.

Ryans addressed this in interviews before, you should track them down and check them out because they really delve into where hes evolved as a grappler. In short, Ryan tells us in class all the time that he had so much success from the inverted guard because he drilled it and became so profficient with it that his skill at this position outweighed his opponents defenses. But just because you can get away with something, doesn

yup.

so what he said above can about wacky guards and shit without the fundamentals can apply to guards he uses even.

seems like less of a swipe at EB, and more like a a swipe at people who try to perform fancy techniques without owning the basics.

Also you need to consider this... being upside down doesn

Kenny thanks for the insight. I have barely been on here recently, but I actually check only to really see if a few people are posting, you being one of them. Thanks for all the insight.

The 50/50 is a special position due to its reciprocity, much like the half guard (the half guard can be advantageous to either player, depending on grips and angles), but with a much more unclear distinction between top and bottom. I think it's a kind of position that inevitably comes about now and then as a result of a dynamic guard game or a failed kneebar, and knowing at least how to deal with the position should definitely be considered fundamental IMO.

As for the inverted guard, I consider it a variation/extension of the turtle roll. It may not be a fundamental position to actively engage an opponent from, but rolling over your shoulders and making your hips hard to control by lifting them off of the floor are definitely solid fundamentals in BJJ.

Is this some Chuck Norris shit?

Lol, no. he can put himself in a one arm triangle

I know because I saw a video of some kid putting himself in a two arm triangle, and some dude was like "ryan hall can't even do 2 arms"

Ryan tells us in class all the time that he had so much success from the inverted guard because he drilled it and became so profficient with it that his skill at this position outweighed his opponents defenses.

But just because you can get away with something, doesn

if someone doesn't know how to defend an armbar and you armbar him, you are better than him

if someone doesn't know how to defend 50/50 and you heel hook him, you are better than him

if someone doesn't know how to defend lockdown and you sweep him, you are better at that particular half guard than him.

everyone's game can't be broken down to an overall better or worse - everyone has places they are weak and places they are strong

just my opinion. not stating it as fact.

Back