Rugby World Cup 2019

Who will win the RWC in 2019

• Total voters
Stats wise Tonga look like they were right in the game. Englands scrum isnt something to write home about.

Convincing win for England, but the mistakes are a bit worrying.
We will need to tighten up in the next week or two.

I didn't see the Ireland game.
How good did they look? The scoreline suggests pretty good.

Stats wise Tonga look like they were right in the game. Englands scrum isnt something to write home about.
I think most scrums is nothing to write home about and the IRB/WR need to address it as it spoils the tempo of the game most of the time ?

I think most scrums is nothing to write home about and the IRB/WR need to address it as it spoils the tempo of the game most of the time ?

Tonga won the scrums 7 - 4 and England conceded 2 scrum penalties. Most of the other matches have been pretty even. England are usually pretty good at scrum time, so this is a surprise me.

Both the All Blacks and South Africa are llucky, for the rest of the pool games they can rest their A squad members, until the quarter finals or even the semis.

South Africa paid the price. A couple of their guys went down and at least one of them looked like they knew they were done for the rest of the tournament

If only Scotland wouldn't waste there time with Soccer ( apart from Rangers/Celtic thing alongside a few other teams) and focus on Rugby as there breeding ground is only really in Edinburgh and the Borders...add Glasgow as we'll maybe.

Both the All Blacks and South Africa are llucky, for the rest of the pool games they can rest their A squad members, until the quarter finals or even the semis.

I don't think resting your entire first team squad for 4 weeks before a WC quarter final would be a good idea somehow.

Like all the tier 1 teams, resting players at the right time to get through the groups comfortably yet being in peak condition for the knockout games is a difficult balancing act.

I watched all the games over the weekend. This is my thoughts:

Japan v Russia - Russia showed promise until about 30 minutes in where they gassed, if it wasn't for their wingers and their fully back Artimyev the score would have been much worse. They have a big hit out with Samoa tomorrow, I expect they'll lose by more than 40.

Australia v Fiji - Australia gave me a heart attack until the second half, the injection of Will Genia upped the tempo of the game after Nic White had a shocker. We still have no solid goal kicker or fly half. I miss Quade Cooper. Fiji showed promise and have just as much chance to make it out of the pool stages as we do dependent on bonus points and how Aus go against Wales.

France v Argentina - Argentina broke my heart when they choked, they fought back and lost it all in the last 2 minutes. France are always a dark horse at RWC's because they seem to pull victories out of thin air while sucking for the other 3 years before a world cup.

New Zealand v South Africa - My house mate is a Kiwi and I hate the All Blacks, so I wanted South Africa to thump them. Instead both teams had a contest to see who could make more errors. New Zealand were lucky South Africa opted to not play with a back line. New Zealand will be lucky to make it out of the Semi's if they play like that against, England, Australia, Ireland or Wales.

Italy v Namibia - Italy won no shocks there, but they were not convincing. Namibia missed their best chance to capture a win against a fringe Tier 1 Nation.

Ireland v Scotland - By the 60th Minute it felt like that Simpsons episode where the kid shouts "Stop it he's already dead" Scotland defeated themselves in the second half, Ireland didn't even have to put pressure on Scotland simply made mistakes themselves and by that stage Ireland didn't even bother to capitalize on them. Ireland losing Bundee Aki could have been the chance Scotland needed to shock the world. But instead they just fell to pieces. Ireland to win the RWC.

England v Tonga - England had three main factors that won them this game 1. Manu Tuilagi - Probably the best centre in Northern Hemisphere Rugby, broke the gainline nearly every touch, 2. Referee was quick to penalize Tonga but allow England to do the same thing without penalty (see holding on to the ball on the ground). 3. Tonga's game plan of keeping the ball down England end by positional kicking. This played into England's counter attacking plans, had Tonga of held onto the ball they may have had a more flattering scoreline. Tonga was still in this game up until the 45th Minute. If England play like this against a Tier 1 Nation it will not go well.

I don't think resting your entire first team squad for 4 weeks before a WC quarter final would be a good idea somehow.

Like all the tier 1 teams, resting players at the right time to get through the groups comfortably yet being in peak condition for the knockout games is a difficult balancing act.

Yes but both sides now have the luxury to pick and choose teams, resting people who may be injured like Sam Cane and give some of the newer members some much needed game time. Its not like the Pool C where 2 games require a full strength team.

Japan v Russia - Russia showed promise until about 30 minutes in where they gassed, if it wasn't for their wingers and their fully back Artimyev the score would have been much worse. They have a big hit out with Samoa tomorrow, I expect they'll lose by more than 40.

Australia v Fiji - Australia gave me a heart attack until the second half, the injection of Will Genia upped the tempo of the game after Nic White had a shocker. We still have no solid goal kicker or fly half. I miss Quade Cooper. Fiji showed promise and have just as much chance to make it out of the pool stages as we do dependent on bonus points and how Aus go against Wales.

France v Argentina - Argentina broke my heart when they choked, they fought back and lost it all in the last 2 minutes. France are always a dark horse at RWC's because they seem to pull victories out of thin air while sucking for the other 3 years before a world cup.

New Zealand v South Africa - My house mate is a Kiwi and I hate the All Blacks, so I wanted South Africa to thump them. Instead both teams had a contest to see who could make more errors. New Zealand were lucky South Africa opted to not play with a back line. New Zealand will be lucky to make it out of the Semi's if they play like that against, England, Australia, Ireland or Wales.

Italy v Namibia - Italy won no shocks there, but they were not convincing. Namibia missed their best chance to capture a win against a fringe Tier 1 Nation.

Ireland v Scotland - By the 60th Minute it felt like that Simpsons episode where the kid shouts "Stop it he's already dead" Scotland defeated themselves in the second half, Ireland didn't even have to put pressure on Scotland simply made mistakes themselves and by that stage Ireland didn't even bother to capitalize on them. Ireland losing Bundee Aki could have been the chance Scotland needed to shock the world. But instead they just fell to pieces. Ireland to win the RWC.

England v Tonga - England had three main factors that won them this game 1. Manu Tuilagi - Probably the best centre in Northern Hemisphere Rugby, broke the gainline nearly every touch, 2. Referee was quick to penalize Tonga but allow England to do the same thing without penalty (see holding on to the ball on the ground). 3. Tonga's game plan of keeping the ball down England end by positional kicking. This played into England's counter attacking plans, had Tonga of held onto the ball they may have had a more flattering scoreline. Tonga was still in this game up until the 45th Minute. If England play like this against a Tier 1 Nation it will not go well.
Great posts and most times positional kicking by lesser teams ends up in given the opposition a gifted try (always couldn't stand why Finn Russell kicked the ball away in the last 2 minutes of there 6 Nations game against England which if he had held on the ball Scotland would of had there first win at Twickenham since 1983).......anyway back on to the world cup.

The Wales vs Georgia scoreline really doesn't do justice to how hard Wales had to work. Aside from the opening 10 minutes and the closing 15 Georgia really played well against one of the big 6. I was confused as to why the referee awarded a try where the Welsh player didn't touch the ball and held his head in his hands afterwards in shock that he missed the ball? TMO surely should have spoken up on that.
Georgia completely shut down George North (Save one try), if the Wallabies watch that game Georgia has shown them the blue prints on how to beat Wales.

I chuckled at the Simpsons reference. Thanks.

I think that New Zealand was able to punish early errors by the South Africans. The Springboks never fully recovered unfortunately and we all seen the result.

Should of been 2 red cards against against Samoa for the 2 tackles on the Ruskies.

Should of been 2 red cards against against Samoa for the 2 tackles on the Ruskies.

I think the first one was worse and the 2nd one was accidental. First one should have been a red, 2nd one I was on the fence about.
The Russians played well until they gassed. Same old story.

Yes great game and result in a very special place......love it and hopefully the game will grow in Latin America.

I hope so too.

This is what the world cup is about.

Back