Roy Nelson's jiu jitsu myth.

Roy has decent BJJ skills and he used to be quite good, but at this very moment both Werdum and Mir would easily school him on the ground

There isn't a need to get insulting, this is a conversation/debate, so calm down.
Yes i've seen that video.
Almost EVERY fighter has 'legit' BJJ skills these days.

I understand JJ and I just don't think Roy is very special at it. Last night was the perfect example to show his JJ skills, instead he took on a completely new stance because he was terrified of being taken down.
If you're that great at JJ and that comfortable with it, why would you adapt in such an extreme way?

People just need to stop talking about Roy Nelson like he's some kind of jiu-jitsu wizard who just chooses not to use it.

The guy has been at a black belt level for years. He isnt going to submit someone from the closed guard but he can control great grapplers from on top and negate damage from the bottom. And not everyone has great BJJ. Did you just see what happened to Sage Northcutt?

Also TS keep in mind Barnett is the supposed to be the best HW grappler and just got submitted by Rothwell, and who has also used zero grappling in his second UFC stint.

People just need to stop talking about Roy Nelson like he's some kind of jiu-jitsu wizard who just chooses not to use it.

Roy is a black belt under Renzo Grazie! He's been for like 10 years now! Why are you so damn stubborn? The FUCK is your problem?!

There isn't a need to get insulting, this is a conversation/debate, so calm down.

I understand JJ and I just don't think Roy is very special at it. Last night was the perfect example to show his JJ skills, instead he took on a completely new stance because he was terrified of being taken down.
If you're that great at JJ and that comfortable with it, why would you adapt in such an extreme way?

Hmmm, how was last night the best opportunity to show his BJJ skills when it never went to the mat?? Roy didn't need to go for the takedown because he was winning the fight on the feet....and of course he didn't want to get taken down - its not easy to get a fat heavyweight from off of you when he's on top controlling you

Educate yourself TS. Roy is clearly in much better shape in this video, and yes it's a while back. That being said Roy also clearly has legit BJJ skills. Another person who thinks BJJ just equals submissions.

I refuse to believe that is the same guy. I think UFC Roy Nelson ate that Roy Nelson.

Is this some kind of inside joke or an MMA myth?

I realise he's meant to have a black belt under Renzo Gracie, which may be the inside joke - hey, let's pretend a really fat guy is great at BJJ!
Really wouldn't surprise me.
But as far as I can see, he won a Grappler's Quest tournament once (whatever that is) and the best he ever did in Abu Dhabi was the quarter finals.

We keep hearing about how amazing he is at JJ but he never uses it. We've not seen it in the UFC. Ever.
So he's fighting a guy who just wants to take him down last night but is so confident in these JJ skills that he supposedly has, that he fights like a guy who has never been to the ground in his entire life and is terrified to going to the ground so much that he adopts a completely new stance.

I'm really not buying the 'I'd rather stand up and bang' nonsense.

'Kung-Fu fighter and BJJ black belt'. Hmmmm.

Are you an idiot? Why would he go to the ground with someone when he's easily beating him up standing. Besides the dude only tried to take him down once.

Are you trolling right now?

"Let me show my BJJ skills off instead of winning the fight, so I can convince Matt M on sherdog that I have skills there"

He learned it early on as a fighter many years ago.. After that many punches to the head, he's forgotten how to use BJJ for sure. I doubt he trains it anymore either

Stop embarrassing yourself any further and admit that you don't know what you're talking about. You're like those last few Spartans walking into a wall of arrows somehow trying to win the war.

Terrible argument in a sensible debate. Just insulting me?
Come on, this is a discussion forum.

Are you an idiot? Why would he go to the ground with someone when he's easily beating him up standing. Besides the dude only tried to take him down once.

Are you trolling right now?

"Let me show my BJJ skills off instead of winning the fight, so I can convince Matt M on sherdog that I have skills there"

Calm down firstly.
I'm not trolling. Just because you don't agree with someone, doesn't mean they are trolling. Ok?

Secondly, I'm not saying he should have gone to the ground, I'm saying why was he clearly terrified of going to the ground by adapting to a stance we've never seen him adapt before.
Which for sure would have effected his standup by adopting that stance.
Rosholt probably won the first round, and that's with Nelson's plodding 'how soon can I hit you with my right hand' actions.

Has anyone even thought why Nelson didn't try to get the fight to the ground himself if he's this BJJ wizard we've all been conned into believing?
Why would he be so worried about being taken down. So worried that he completely changes his stance for the first time ever (as far as I recall).

I'm inclined to agree.
He used to have above-average, even pretty good BJJ for a HW, but we haven't seen it in a very long time. I'd guess his grappling game has declined relative to the division...
or he knows that he'll lose more often than not against the top guys, but will make a lot more money, and have better job security giving the fans a slobber-knocker stand-up fight, rather than one fat, pale guy rolling around in a puddle sweat with a fellow slick pig.

Also, I don't think he was ever considered an absolute whizz on the ground, just that he had notable BJJ for a HW

His his body type, no matter how good his grappling is, he's not going to want to be under a huge wrestler that is trying to punch him in the face. Maybe if you had an understanding of grappling you'd know bjj doesn't trump all. If rosholt got the takedown and ended up in half guard, 1 nelson would take damage, 2 spend a lot of energy and 3 lose that round.
He fought the smart fight

Have you ever seen Gonzaga fight? How about Werdum? You sound clueless. Go watch some more tape. Nelson has great BJJ, but he also has an iron chin and a knockout punch. He's a good striker. Very rarely will you see a black belt with good or great striking skills look to take guys down and submit them. Anderson is amazing on the ground, he avoids the groundgame. BJ Penn is amazing on the ground, he doesn't go for it, he wants to box. The only guys that are great on the ground and actively try to get the fight to the ground are BJJ fighters that don't have a standup. Damien Maia is a perfect example. Same with the Gracies, Travis Lutter and so on.

People are only looking at the fact that he hasn't subbed anyone in ten years, and those were all cans on the local circuit

Ppl don't want to watch roy suffocate ppl, no they want to see that overhand right DECIMATE ppl.
Kkg3LLyoPZQNa.gif

had to make this just to show you da POWA

Roy knows what the fans want, they don't want to see him rolling around with other heavies, they wanna see him throw down.
Thats so freaking hot! Roy can bang!

His BJJ is legit. He's just too fat to use it.

Do you honestly think Werdum would care too much if Jared Rosholt took him down? Fuck no!
So because Werdum(with the best JJ in the HW division) has better JJ than Nelson(And everyone else), that means he has no JJ skills? With that logic, Mir, Gonzaga and Struve have no JJ skills either...

As for you complaining about insults. Welcome to Sherdog, where stupid subjects/statements/questions will be insulted with smart ass responses...

Cau

Cause every bjj guy wants to be on there back on purpose,right?

Gi bjj and mma jj are two totally different styles.

Summary :
Matt M is a clown with no BJJ skills

Ppl don't want to watch roy suffocate ppl, no they want to see that overhand right DECIMATE ppl.
Kkg3LLyoPZQNa.gif

had to make this just to show you da POWA

Roy knows what the fans want, they don't want to see him rolling around with other heavies, they wanna see him throw down.

The Herman's ko is epic !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back