Roy Jones Jr. VS. Anderson Silva?

It was never going to happen while Silva was in the UFC. Why would they want their star attraction to get splattered in front of the whole world.

Although preliminary discussions are underway for a boxing match between UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and boxing champion Roy Jones Jr., UFC president Dana White would not permit the fight to happen if terms are reached.

White, who would have veto power over such an event because of Silva

Maybe an exhibition 4 or 6 rounder will be doable? In case Silva losses White can always make an excuse that it was only an exhibition match. I wonder if Fedor will test the waters in boxing as well.

I always assumed Silva was earning the best potential income with the way he's been tearing up the ufc middleweight division.

I figured at least $250,000.00 a fight.
That's crazy, can't blame the guy for tryin to deepen his pockets.

The NFL allowed Lyle Alzado to box Muhammad Ali, so what’s Dana’s problem ?

That was a flop though. Alzado was claiming that this fight could fill Mile High and it did nowhere near his bold claims.

Alzado was taken to court because he couldn't pay the funding price back to the bank to secure Ali in the whole deal.

Slavery is supposed to be illegal.

I would hate to be a UFC contracted fighter, what a crappy job.

Randy Couture would back me on that.

right, greg oden got in trouble for playing a pick up basketball game, near every professional has a no compete clause. you think the yankees would let a-rod go play in the nfl or some other shit risking his injury? hell no

looses...Loosing...looses

Slavery is supposed to be illegal. I would hate to be a UFC contracted fighter, what a crappy job.

Randy Couture would back me on that.

1. C'mon, man...it is "loses, losing"

2. Silva signed the contract. The UFC has an investment at stake. Dana White's job is to promote and protect the UFC brand--thats what the Fertittas pay him to do. It's proper business practice. This is business--if you were a business man (a good one anyway) you would have to do the same thing. I'm sure that Dana would have the same curiosity as the rest of us to see what would happen. (BTW, Jones would school him.)

3. I admire Couture but he has been wrong in all of this. He is a nobody without what the opportunities that the UFC has provided him. The last opportunity the UFC gave him really made stardom for him a reality. (Disclaimer: props to Randy for making the MOST of those opportunities--he deserves what he has, he just should remember that he shouldn't bite the hand that fed him).

UFC disclaimer: I wish that things in MMA/the UFC were different but they aren't. It's business...just like boxing and their promoters. Dana White pisses me off sometimes too...

Keep in mind that Silva's also getting some money through endorsements, PPV cuts, and bonuses for a good fight. His official salary is only part of his true income.

Give Dana this: he's very good to his top stars.

Is it Mayweather money? No, but I'll take it if Silva doesn't want it.

It's decent money for the top stars, but it's squat to the top stars in boxing. Even in the lower weight divisions, the top stars get paid 20 times more than most of the UFC stars.

It's decent money for the top stars, but it's squat to the top stars in boxing. Even in the lower weight divisions, the top stars get paid 20 times more than most of the UFC stars.

Breaking News! Competitors in different sports earn different amounts of money!

just have rjj and silva fight in ufc under modified rules with ufc gloves ,fuck !!they did it for tommy morrison and he has aids

Come on, Luke. I am just saying they deserve better in sports that are relative to each other.

I know man. I'm just playing around.

And maybe they deserve better, maybe they don't. I'm more than a little naive on the matter since I have no idea what kind of revenue the UFC brings for any single event they put on. But, what it boils down to for me is that the fighters make the choice to fight for a set amount of money. I understand people need to make a living and that the lifespan in this sport is short, but if you feel the pay is unfair then find something else you feel is worth your time.

Also, I'm sure this will change soon in the future. Guys like Kimbo and Brock are being paid large amounts of money becasue they are attractions. As stars are made, and other orgs start to compete with the UFC hopefully the fighters will see a significant spike in pay.

just have rjj and silva fight in ufc under modified rules with ufc gloves ,fuck !!they did it for tommy morrison and he has aids

But that wouldn't make as much money, so why?

Back