Rousey's Coach: "no F***ing exceptions. I don

[YT]l23iS-TSUSY[/YT]

:rolleyes:

rocky-ivs1.gif

:rolleyes:

If Ronda had proper striking coaching she could have developed some nice hands by now.

Edmond is a big child. I don't see someone with that type of mentality he displayed on TUF ever being a good coach.

He's just riding Ronda's success. People tolerate him to get on Ronda's good side.

If Ronda had proper striking coaching she could have developed some nice hands by now.

Edmond is a big child. I don't see someone with that type of mentality he displayed on TUF ever being a good coach.

He's just riding Ronda's success. People tolerate him to get on Ronda's good side.

No shit, he showed what a shit coach he is with Travis Browne.

He went from being a mediocre brute with power to being a mediocre brute with power that he doesnt know how to use and absolutely zero skills or technique because he hasn't learned jack shit.

So promotion means more than rank?

They are both #1 in their divisions with an equal # of title fight wins. Cyborg has been #1 longer. Cyborg had her legacy fight against Gina (who ronda was willing to fight at 145).

Yes, when a fight is taking place in the UFC the only championships that matter are UFC championships. Cyborg's belt means nothing.

Remind me again what happened after Cyborg's legacy fight.

Ronda prefers beating on scrubs. Can't really blame her though. Easy money

So promotion means more than rank?

They are both #1 in their divisions with an equal # of title fight wins. Cyborg has been #1 longer. Cyborg had her legacy fight against Gina (who ronda was willing to fight at 145).

Her legacy is tainted by steroids, her rank and belt don't mean shit

People move weight classes all the time in boxing. A lot of major ppv fights in recent years were from boxers moving weight.

Can you imagine if Mayweather v Paqiao never happened because of 5 pounds?

Except Rousey comes from grappling, and in grappling very few dominant champs change weight classes.

All time great Satiev (look him up - 3 Olympic gold in freestyle, 6 world championships, often considered greatest freestyle wrestler ever) never changed weight classes.

Dominant judo champ Ueno (2 time Olympic gold, 2 time world champion both in Rousey's judo weight division - better than Rousey both on the ground and on her feet in judo) never changed weight classes. Dan Gable (hopefully you've heard of him, most famous American wrestler) - never changed weight classes. Tadahiro Nomura (3 times Olympic gold judo, 2 time world champion) never changed weight.

And the list goes on. One in a hundred Olympic gold medalists in judo and wrestling go up in weight, and even then not for a challenge, but because they've grown and can't make the lower weight any more.

And no one ever thought they should. Changing weight is a boxing thing, not a grappling thing, and Rousey comes from grappling. And given that pure grappling beats pure boxing in MMA, I'd argue that the grappling tradition is a better one for MMA to begin with. If Rousey came from boxing you'd have a point. She doesn't, she comes from grappling, and there's no culture of going up in weight in grappling. You stay in your weight division.

Why expect Rousey to follow the tradition of a sport (boxing) she never competed in, instead of the tradition of a sport (judo) she competed in most of her life? Its arrogant and silly.

In fact, the grappling base of so much of MMA is probably why so few UFC champs went up in weight to fight a heavier champ while both were still champs - Penn is the only one who ever did it. Anderson went up to fight LHW, but not the dominant champs of his time (Liddell or Jones ... or even Machida or Shogun). Going up in weight while champ isn't a grappling tradition, and its not a UFC champ tradition.

As for the interview, he's her coach; of course he's going to support her in everything and say how great her footwork is. Doesn't mean he believes it, just that he needs her to believe it.

Last edited:
Cyborg is also a champion who has been number 1 in the world at her division longer and won just as many title fights.

Wasnt the UFC going to have the Gina fight at 145 cuz gina couldnt make 135?

No the ufc want going to have the fight at 145, Ronda was willing but Dana said even Gina would have to make weight.

Cyborgs title is a hubcap, completely irrelevant

Ronda would be more palatable without Edmund.

Sorry Edmund.

Except Rousey comes from grappling, and in grappling very few dominant champs change weight classes.

All time great Satiev (look him up - 3 Olympic gold in freestyle, 6 world championships, often considered greatest freestyle wrestler ever) never changed weight classes.

Dominant judo champ Ueno (2 time Olympic gold, 2 time world champion both in Rousey's judo weight division - better than Rousey both on the ground and on her feet in judo) never changed weight classes. Dan Gable (hopefully you've heard of him, most famous American wrestler) - never changed weight classes. Tadahiro Nomura (3 times Olympic gold judo, 2 time world champion) never changed weight.

And the list goes on. One in a hundred Olympic gold medalists in judo and wrestling go up in weight, and even then not for a challenge, but because they've grown and can't make the lower weight any more.

And no one ever thought they should. Changing weight is a boxing thing, not a grappling thing, and Rousey comes from grappling. And given that pure grappling beats pure boxing in MMA, I'd argue that the grappling tradition is a better one for MMA to begin with. If Rousey came from boxing you'd have a point. She doesn't, she comes from grappling, and there's no culture of going up in weight in grappling. You stay in your weight division.

Why expect Rousey to follow the tradition of a sport (boxing) she never competed in, instead of the tradition of a sport (judo) she competed in most of her life? Its arrogant and silly.

In fact, the grappling base of so much of MMA is probably why so few UFC champs went up in weight to fight a heavier champ while both were still champs - Penn is the only one who ever did it. Anderson went up to fight LHW, but not the dominant champs of his time (Liddell or Jones ... or even Machida or Shogun). Going up in weight while champ isn't a grappling tradition, and its not a UFC champ tradition.

As for the interview, he's her coach; of course he's going to support her in everything and say how great her footwork is. Doesn't mean he believes it, just that he needs her to believe it.

Great point ! Well thought out!!

Except Ronda competed in 154lb division in Judo, which men's she is ducking Cyborg

I think Rousey needs Cyborg more than Cyborg needs her. Cyborg already had her legacy fight against Gina, she can crush tomatoes for the rest of her career if she wants to. Rousey has not had "that" fight.
On what planet does Cyborg have a legacy that's even comparable to what Ronda has right now? Ronda's rich and pretty much the consensus greatest female MMA fighter of all time. Cyborg is neither of those things, and she NEEDS Ronda to even have a chance at them.

Do you know how big Cyborg is? If they fought at 145 Ronda would likely weight (like he said in this interview) about 148 during the fight. Cyborg would probably be at least 165. That is a huge size difference in an MMA fight. At least if they fight at 135 the weight difference likely wouldn't be more than 5-10 pounds during the fight.

Funny thing is people are talking about Rhonda beating dudes and fighting Floyd Mayweather when Cyborg is probably her only true test. If she doesn't fight her people will remember this, that's just how competition and sports work. The UFC doesn't have anyone that can hang with Rhonda and neither does any other promotion.

I'm afraid Rhonda will have to fight Cyborg.

I disagree 100%.

99% of the population has no clue who Cyborg is and those casual fans that do only know the name because of Rousey. We all know who she is because we are big enough fans of MMA to post on a forum about it.

Cyborg needs Rousey much more than Rousey needs her. 90% of the population views Tate as her biggest rival and do not even realize that Cyborg exists.

I disagree with both of you. Ronda needs Cyborg more for her career / record and Cyborg needs Ronda financially, end of discussion

I disagree with both of you. Ronda needs Cyborg more for her career / record and Cyborg needs Ronda financially, end of discussion

I disagree, the general populace does not know who Cyborg is. Besides the few on forums and the hardcores, if Ronda never fights Cyborg she will still go down as the GOAT WWMA fighter.

The UFC has set the requirements for her getting the easiest title shot ever as making 135. That was three years ago, now she has ballooned up to 175. yeah, cyborg really wants that fight eh?

:D
Except Ronda competed in 154lb division in Judo, which men's she is ducking Cyborg

Judo you weigh in just before you compete. So with a 20 pound water cut, 154 judo about equal to 135 MMA.

I suspect Rousey would be willing to fight Cyborg at 145 with year round random blood testing and a weigh-in just before the fight. Not so sure Cyborg would agree though.

And Cyborg's first fight was at 135 against a 125 pounder. So obviously she's ducking fighting at 135 :D

Or more seriously, people fight at different weights when they start than during their prime. Cyborg started at 135 and now doesn't want to fight there, Rousey started at 145 and now doesn't want to fight there. That's understandable for both.

Basically, they're not sisters, they don't owe each other anything. For the fight to be fair, they have to be the same weight at cage time. That means either Cyborg loses ten pounds of muscle, or Rousey gains ten pounds of muscle. Why would either change their body composition to help out someone they don't even like?

I can smell his fear through this monitor.

I just can't believe that this guy seriously thinks that Rosey would stop Holly Holm in a sanctioned boxing match. If she comes to box like she did in the Bethe fight, I'm sorry but she would probably be left laying face down in the ring within the 1st minute. Holm has almost 40 career Pro Fights in Boxing....Rousey...0....it would only end like the Bethe fight in reverse.

Speaking of which...one thing I will give Cyborg credit for...she did take a risk, step out of her element, and fight the best women's Muy Thai fighter in her class on Lion Fights. And really didn't do too bad after that shaky 1st round. If she's willing to do that....then how about Ronda step up to the plate, and fight Holm in a sanctioned boxing match then?????

god damn its almost scary how much Edmond worships Ronda, I mena coaches always big up their top fighter that's nothing new but Edmond takes it to another level

Back