Rousey should improve wrestling/double leg to get takedown

Just within boxing range is still within boxing range. Not to mention Nunes has better range than Ronda to begin with because of her better boxing fundamentals. Note how Nunes steps with her jab and cross. That's why Ronda was obliterated in there.

If you listen to commentators, especially the ones who were fighters, they will always talk about setting up things with your hands. Got to set up those takedowns. This idea you have that she could go out there and shoot doubles is not how things work. She'll see them coming and easily avoid it. Nunes in her current winning streak has wins over Tate and Sarah McMann who was a freestyle wrestling silver medalist. Yet you say Ronda can train a bit and beat her with double legs.

Never said it would be easy or to just go double after double without setups. Need mix it up. Keep nunes guessin. Duck under when nunes throws punch

You are 100% right TS. Ronda is a judoka. When she can't get her hips inside on her opponent, she is forced to stand with them. She should at least learn to single or double to initiate some sort of grappling against opponents she can't bully. Just get inside. Strikers now know to just stick and move and push her hips. They also aren't charging in like Cat Zing so Ronda can't rely on her opponents momentum to use her judo tosses. Her best bet is learning to shoot for doubles to get inside instead of standing straight up trying to get hip to hip with her opponent via boxing.

You are on my wavelength

Has Ronda actually got a wrestling coach in her camp? I can't remember her EVER going for a double leg...EVER

Okay, it's likely Ronda Rousey will retire after tonight, as she probably knows she is not going to get the belt again and it's not like she needs the money.

However, if she was to continue, which could very much mean changing camps, perhaps it would be wise instead of concentrating on boxing she should focus on wrestling.

It is clear from tonight her boxing is not good enough offensively or defensively and although, she can make improvements it will never be better than for example Nunes. She needs to get the fight to the ground and in order to do that she needs to close the distance. Boxing her way in and getting punched in the face to get to the clinch will get her knocked out like it did tonight before she gets that chance.

If she was to mix her judo play with wrestling and namely going for a double leg, it will allow her to close the distance and even if they manage to stuff it, she is closer to being able to get to the clinch or even drag them onto the ground.

Yea, she only can do takedowns from the clinch, if one can avoid the clinch she gets lost. Some sherdoggers were actually comparing her grappling with Demian Maia

<36>

Has Ronda actually got a wrestling coach in her camp? I can't remember her EVER going for a double leg...EVER

Exactly. After her loss to holms where she was gettin outboxed and her bum rushin in with her inferior boxing wasnt going to get her in the clinch as previously, knowing she was gonna face another superior standup fighter she should found another way into gettin to the clinch and using double legs might be an option. Most time if a fighter gets sprawled on and ends up in bad position on ground but for ronda she prob prefers the ground game

Double leg is a Judo technique and she trained at a wrestling club for years but I don't think she goes there since fame.

Agreed.. I've been saying this for a while. She needs to learn to shoot a takedown. A failed shot can lead to an upper body throw too.

Double leg is a Judo technique and she trained at a wrestling club for years but I don't think she goes there since fame.

The thing is going into this fight she knew her really only path to victory was to get the fight to the ground. She didnt get to see how she would have gone if she was successful. Surely she didnt think she could outbox nunes into the clinch so give somethin else a go

The thing with maia is his standup is now adequate level to survive high level strikers where ronda is not. Even maia realises he needs to get the fight to the ground asap

Double leg takedowns have been banned from Judo competitions for a while now.
She comes from an old school Judo background where it wasn't frowned upon. She was actually known in the community for a certain technique more associated with wrestling as well. If you think with her mother that she doesn't know morote gari you're dumb.

giphy.gif

The thing is going into this fight she knew her really only path to victory was to get the fight to the ground. She didnt get to see how she would have gone if she was successful. Surely she didnt think she could outbox nunes into the clinch so give somethin else a go
Lol well she can thank Edmund for that one I guess. Trying to (horribly) box someone at a Muay Thai range when your strength is grappling gets you knocked out. Who knew.

Dont care bout RRR, but hopefully Edmond is done as a professional coach. Not sure why anyone would want him to be their coach after his stellar work with Browne and Rousey.

Least try and if didnt work it didnt work. Outboxing nunes was never gonna work
Telling an Olympic medalists in judo who has been doing judo her whole life to learn a double is easier said than done. And a waste of time.

The thing with maia is his standup is now adequate level to survive high level strikers where ronda is not. Even maia realises he needs to get the fight to the ground asap

Of course, the thing is Maia is way more versatile taking the fight to the ground. Ronda is a one trick poney judoka, she's done.

Telling an Olympic medalists in judo who has been doing judo her whole life to learn a double is easier said than done. And a waste of time.

Wasnt saying to abandon judo. Saying needed to find another way into the clinch in order to throw. Least mix it up. Dont think amanda woulda expected her to try a double leg

Wasnt saying to abandon judo. Saying needed to find another way into the clinch in order to throw. Least mix it up. Dont think amanda woulda expected her to try a double leg

I couldn't agree more. A double leg could help Ronda diversify her takedowns. Also help her initiate some sort of grappling.

For the people claiming double/single doesn't work without being close, you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

There are many many examples of a double leg working when shot from distance. One fight that comes to mind is Brock vs Hunt. Brock shot from the parking lot just to initiate some grappling and eventually got the takedown against a far superior striker with real k.o. power.

Can a double / single work for Ronda the same way it did for Brock? Don't know. Could Ronda wind up in a bad position and get pounded? Maybe. Could Nunes just sprawl and nullify her double leg? Perhaps.

I'll tell you one thing though it would've been a smarter decision to try the double leg in comparison to her game plan. Which was what again? Stand and get punched in the face?

I couldn't agree more. A double leg could help Ronda diversify her takedowns. Also help her initiate some sort of grappling.

For the people claiming double/single doesn't work without being close, you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

There are many many examples of a double leg working when shot from distance. One fight that comes to mind is Brock vs Hunt. Brock shot from the parking lot just to initiate some grappling and eventually got the takedown against a far superior striker with real k.o. power.

Can a double / single work for Ronda the same way it did for Brock? Don't know. Could Ronda wind up in a bad position and get pounded? Maybe. Could Nunes just sprawl and nullify her double leg? Perhaps.

I'll tell you one thing though it would've been a smarter decision to try the double leg in comparison to her game plan. Which was what again? Stand and get punched in the face?

Exactly my point. If she went for a double leg and was sprawled on then got guilliotined or pounded from top at least she tried something different. Now we will never know.Doing what she did with holmes that didnt work against and against an even better boxer really meant only 1 outcome. Its quite possible her double legs may be worse than her boxing technique but the point is contact which can lead to a grappling exchange

Back