Round 4 of Jones vs Gus

I re-watched that fight so many times... Gus was dominating him, the elbow didn't change anything. Gus still took that round handily.

The result of that fight was a sham.

In one of the best fights ever, that elbow sent Gus looking for a place to fall...i remember saying there he goes, this could be it but he just barely stayed upright.
Jones 48-47
Barley stayed upright?

People that can barely stay upright don't stuff a takedown attempt by Jon Jones.

That being said I'm now sad because I doubt that the rematch will ever live up to this masterpiece.

It will, dont worry. They match up in a way its almost impossible for them to have a boring fight.

I remember thinking gus could have still won that round. The elbow was pretty much all Jones landed that round, and yeah it was a great shot, but it didn't even drop Gus.

Then Hendo didn't win any rounds against Bisping

Hendo dropped Bisping. Jones didn't drop Gus, and Gus actually threw Jones to the ground after the end of Jones' end of the round flurry.

Thank you for posting this short gif, because it made me watch the entire round. And Jones beat up on Gus far, far longer than this gif suggests.

Gus was so hurt that he tossed Jones to the mat at the end of the round.

In one of the best fights ever, that elbow sent Gus looking for a place to fall...i remember saying there he goes, this could be it but he just barely stayed upright.
Jones 48-47

Interestingly enough it was Gus who threw Jones down on his knees right after that elbow landed at the end of round four.

For all these years I have held the opinion that there was absolutely no way to score that fight for Jones in a quantifiably justified manner.

I can see it being scored a draw, but Jones wouldn't have won that fight had it been judged solely by the criteria listed into the rules. Unfortunately the judges are swayed by human emotion like everybody else and don't have the luxury of going through the rounds over and over again before rendering their decision, so I'm cool with it.

Barley stayed upright?

People that can barely stay upright don't stuff a takedown attempt by Jon Jones.
There was a moment in 4th round, Jones was smashing him pretty good and Gus was like teetering ....almost looking for a place to fall but didnt- watch fight. That was one part of a great fight.
Lmao- what in the flying fuck does Gus stuffing a take down having anything to do with him being in serious trouble in another part of fight.
I swear, sometimes I have to pinch myself when I come on here.

Anyways- no biggie.

Interestingly enough it was Gus who threw Jones down on his knees right after that elbow landed at the end of round four.
Thst might be true but im refetencing part of 4th round where Gus was almost out on his feet and it appeared that he was like looking for a space to fall on canvas
...... but didnt.

Jones landed that strike a few times in the fight, also some nasty head kicks, Jones wasn't relying on one strike, it's just that Gus displayed some crazy chin in that fight

He wasn't relying on 1 strike sure but he wasnt far off from that. Gus length and lateral movement shut down Jones mostly linear striking attack that complimented his length so well in past fights. His right cross, side kicks, teeps, and framing defense which is 90% of his game were all either unavailable or he got punished for trying.

All he had left were laterally thrown elbows, round kicks, and spinning shit which he couldn't land flush until the 4th.

People can say Joens didn't train for this fight all they want they just make it obvious they don't know how to assess styles and how they clash. Basically they don't know what they are watching.

It was Jons worst fight because it was his most limited fight in terms of options.

OTOH it's not like Gus was beating the tar out of him the rest of the 4th round either. Gus was edging it out. He landed more shots, but none were flush. And Jones landed plenty of flush kicks and jabs.

And starting at 1:10 left in the round, Jones handed a solid leg kick, solid head kick, 2 elbows, 2 spinning elbows, backed Gus up, secured the thai clinch, knee, elbow, elbow, won a clinch battle, landed 2 more elbows off the cage, and with :11 seconds left Gus was a bloody mess and looked ready to fall over. Jones then got one more knee to the body as the round closed.

I think the refs got it right. What happened in that last 70 seconds was more impactful than the rest of the round combined. Start at 22:22 of this video:

I agree with Jones doing enough to steal the 4th. Bottom line the fight was tied going into the 5th and Jones got it done. Won’t happen again though.

Mmm gus is aiming for a tko rd 4-5 though. I'm not so sure Jones can tire him out.
cardio is genetic...you can improve only to a certain point....no matter how hard you train your cardio has the limits that god gave you....granted, 99% of people never dreamed how much they can improve, but the ceiling is the ceiling.....DC rag dolled him in rd 5 and earned a split decision.....unless he coasts a little in the 1st 2 rounds and saves for the championship rounds but my cardio guy says thats always foolish.....Gus was crisp as a mofo in that 1st fight round one....if i were him i'd go full bore...if Jones survives then he can say he at least went for the gusto.

How were you scoring the round before that nasty elbow? Imo, Gus was tagging Jones pretty well but credit to Jones for finding the elbow, while Gus was landing, he was getting sloppy with every second but Jones was getting stronger.
Lol, if that elbow didn't land, we might have had a new champion.

Gus was landing and winning, and even dazed, he stuffed a takedown.
Jones was winning for 20 seconds.

Gus was absolutely destroying Jones. Just before the elbow, they showed a stat that head strikes were 88-18 in favor of Gus.

Jones got lucky that he landed that elbow, to that effect. As a fighter, you cannot rely on 1 strike to change the outcome of a fight. It happened for Jones in their first fight... let's see if it happens again.

Absutely destroying? Can u show me gifs or which part of fight Gus was destroying Jon? I just have difficly seeing. I'm not being smartass, being aerious

Gus was tooling jones. To this day I still come close to scoring the round for Gus

Back