Round 4 of Jones vs Gus

TerraRayzing

Little eagle soars again
@Brown
Reaction score
How were you scoring the round before that nasty elbow? Imo, Gus was tagging Jones pretty well but credit to Jones for finding the elbow, while Gus was landing, he was getting sloppy with every second but Jones was getting stronger.
Lol, if that elbow didn't land, we might have had a new champion.

Gus was winning that round, and the momentum of the fight had shifted completely to Gus. And then Jones hit that hellbow, and changed it all.

Gus was absolutely destroying Jones. Just before the elbow, they showed a stat that head strikes were 88-18 in favor of Gus.

Jones got lucky that he landed that elbow, to that effect. As a fighter, you cannot rely on 1 strike to change the outcome of a fight. It happened for Jones in their first fight... let's see if it happens again.

Another thing to note, Jones has a great kicking game. His boxing might be a little weak but he makes it up with his great kicks.

If I recall correctly I scored the fight for Jones based on rounds 3,4 and 5.

I'm re-watching it now, so my score might change.

I think that round by round scoring doesn't properly work though, because whoever does the most memorable thing in a round usually takes it. A good example being that even though Wilder knocked Tyson Fury down on two occassions it's hard to argue he actually won those rounds because the rest of those rounds were him getting beaten up.

I remember giving 4 to Jones because of how the fight shifted after that elbow - but at the same time I think clearly winning the championship rounds speaks more to me than winning the first three.

Last edited:
After 3 rounds Gus was ahead on 2 judges scorecards. https://www.mmafighting.com/2013/9/...65-jon-jones-vs-alexander-gustafsson-mma-news

Yes Gus was winning that round, and so yes that elbow pretty much saved Jones' belt.

EDIT: I change my answer. The elbow was toward the beginning of a 70 second onslaught of Jones. It started with a leg kick then head kick, included about 10 elbows, and ended with a knee to the body. Yes Gus was winning the first 3:50 of the round....slightly. But it was far, far more than one elbow that (rightfully IMO) turned the round in Jon's favor.

22:22

Last edited:

I think that round by round scoring doesn't properly work though, because whoever does the most memorable thing in a round usually takes it. A good example being that even though Wilder knocked Tyson Fury down on two occassions it's hard to argue he actually won those rounds because the rest of those rounds were him getting beaten up.

I remember giving 4 to Jones because of how the fight shifted after that elbow - but at the same time I think clearly winning the championship rounds speaks more to me than winning the first three.
Different in boxing, a knockdown means you can only get 9 points, 8 for 2
In mma no one is forced to give a 10-8 even if there are 3 knockdowns

Amazing that after 25 years we aren’t any closer to having proper judging criteria and competent judges

Boner didn't land an elbow.

He hit Gus with his tricep.

Just because Jogan said Gus was hurt doesn't mean he actually was.

Scored that round a Draw.

Last edited:

So I watched it again. I never understood why people thought that Gustafsson should have won this fight I thought the 4th round was clearly Jones. Now I know more than I do now I can completely understand the controversy. For four and a half minutes Gustafsson batters Jones and then Jones catches everyones eye with a flashy elbow.

I don't think I'll ever have a real winner in my eyes when it comes to this fight but right now I'm leaning towards Gus. I'll probably lean towards Jones another time I watch it.

That being said I'm now sad because I doubt that the rematch will ever live up to this masterpiece.

Round 4 was the only clear round. You could argue every other round. I had Gus up 3 rounds going into the 4th but 2 was very close.

By the end of the fight 3-2 for Gus or a draw.

For the rematch Gus will be much better prepared for the championship rounds than the first time.

The first time round Gus had never experienced anything beyond a 3rd round and in fact had only 2 fights which went more than 2 rounds.

But Gus still has too many holes in his game and Jones is still the smartest fighter in the division.

Jonny GOAT 49-46 coming right up.

Gus was winning the round and would have won the fight

Jones pulled out the round and the fight with a spinning elbow

Great fight

Those who think Jones won that round based on landing a single elbow and not much else after getting torn up the vast majority of that round need need to come to terms with the fact they don't know how to judge rounds.

He needed to do a fuck ton more to secure that round. The idea he won that round is a joke.

How were you scoring the round before that nasty elbow? Imo, Gus was tagging Jones pretty well but credit to Jones for finding the elbow, while Gus was landing, he was getting sloppy with every second but Jones was getting stronger.
Lol, if that elbow didn't land, we might have had a new champion.
I just watched the fight for the 1st time last night on youtube.....I gave the 1st round to Gus and the next 4 rounds to Jones.....however, I though Gus was winning the 4th round before the elbow, but that blow plus the aftermath leading to him wobbling back to his corner made me think Jones clearly won round 4.....it was a strange match to score as they both were throwing and kicking.....i give no points to Gus stuffing takedowns, just like I give Jones no credit for ducking under haymakers....i was shocked that he could not get Gus down....i see him driving Gus to the fence next week and holding him there...raining elbows and going for a takedown....Gus is too good at range....Jones wants to tire him out and then own him....Gus wants an early KO.

Those who think Jones won that round based on landing a single elbow and not much else after getting torn up the vast majority of that round need need to come to terms with the fact they don't know how to judge rounds.

He needed to do a fuck ton more to secure that round. The idea he won that round is a joke.
Your opinion is fact

Gus clearly, round 4 was one of his best rounds before the elbow that turned the fight around for Jones.

Back