Rose Namajunas vs Angela Hill at UFC 192 (Poll)

I'm just praying Rose ends this quickly and doesn't get hurt. (She looks like my middle school girlfriend.)

The UFC's official rankings have always been a joke, but the SW division is specifically in a state of confusion (aside from the top 2 spots), and there are plenty of disagreement to go around in ANY strawweight ranking charts due to the facts that:

1) They are young and can be best described as "prospects" instead of "veterans", and on any given day, somebody could leapfrog half of the chart the way Moroz did.
2) They came from all kind of different promotions and haven't yet face each other, so there are more speculations than data.

Here's the Concensus Ranking just for the sake of comparison. Thug Rose isn't even in the Worldwide Top 15 SW, and a W over Hill wouldn't change a damn thing.

1. Joanna Jedrzejczyk (10-0) – UFC champion
2. Claudia Gadelha (13-1)
3. Carla Esparza (10-3)
4. Jessica Aguilar (19-5)
5. Karolina Kowalkiewicz (7-0)
6. Maryna Moroz (6-0)
7. Livia Renata Souza (8-0) InvictaFC Champion
8. Alexa Grasso (7-0)
9. Joanne Calderwood (10-1)
10. Katja Kankaanp

Last edited:
Love me some Rose. Her submission game is fun.

The thing is, I don't believe that Rose has actually earned that #3 spot .. how could she? Just because she fought for the title coming out of the TUF tournament doesn't suggest to me that she should be ranked as #3 IMO.

That said, I am holding off on voting until the fight comes closer, and I have seen some training footage for each. I love the way Rose moves, and she has so much potential but she is also easily broken when a fight is not going her way.

Her game plan against Carla was stupid, as were her statements leading up to that fight (she said she didn't bother to train any wrestling ie: TDD for that fight). What kind of coach lets that happen?

Angela has a legit chance to beat Rose on the feet, so flying armbar maybe??

I think you're being a little too harsh in your assessment of Rose. I do agree that she didn't come into the fight(against Carla) with an adequate game plan, coupled that with a high pressure situation for someone so young and perhaps an adrenaline dump and it didn't spell well for her.

But that hardly suggest a trend that she breaks when a fight doesn't go her way. In her other losing affair, it was a back and forth between Tecia that was really close. Never an instance of her backing down.

Also in her fight with Calderwood, she was tagged with some good elbows against the cage(that may have stunned her) in the second and she adjusted and got the submission. I think for her age and her current skill-set, she's a legit fighter.

12115843_10206597382685502_3996626018631136964_n.jpg

The UFC's official rankings have always been a joke, but the SW division is specifically in a state of confusion (aside from the top 2 spots), and there are plenty of disagreement to go around in ANY strawweight ranking charts due to the facts that:

1) They are young and can be best described as "prospects" instead of "veterans", and on any given day, somebody could leapfrog half of the chart the way Moroz did.
2) They came from all kind of different promotions and haven't yet face each other, so there are more speculations than data.

With each SW fighter getting about one fight a year, I don't think we would have an accurate look of the division for at least another year or two.

Here's the Concensus Ranking just for the sake of comparison. Thug Rose isn't even in the Worldwide Top 15 SW, and a W over Hill wouldn't change a damn thing.

And yes, I bet there are plenty of things you would disagree in this Concensus chart too, and it's also because of the two reasons stated above.

I think those rankings are pretty fair. Considering records and what not. I still I think Rose is a more talented fighter than PVZ and would beat her if they were to fight.

Why is her name Thug Rose? Sounds like something Pat Barry would think of.

1. Joanna Jedrzejczyk (10-0)

I think those rankings are pretty fair. Considering records and what not. I still I think Rose is a more talented fighter than PVZ and would beat her if they were to fight.

I, too, would pick Thug Rose over VanZant RIGHT NOW, and they ranks roughly the same to me. But it's undeniable that VanZant is improving rapidly with each fight and raking up valuable experience while Namajunas is rusting on the bench waiting for a fight. This, ofcourse, is Namajunas' very first UFC fight after the TUF Finale. It's a rather familiar boat that many other frustrated SW are in while watching their peers etting one fight after another.

Who knows, when they finally meet a year or two from now, VanZant might as well has surpassed Rose base on experience.

top 4 for me are solid,after that is where the debates begin.

Some people would start arguing from #3, because JAG had already beaten Esparza.

After the undisputed Top 2, it's really free for all, and we'll continue guessing for a long time unless the UFC start adding at least one SW fight per card.

Last edited:
I guess this might not count as the first Skrapette vs. Skrapette fight, as there was already Hill vs. Kagan. But did Kagan really have full Skrapette status? She seemed not fully part of the Skrapette clique that was Namajunas, Hill, Rawlings, and Magana.

Last edited:
Fun fight, makes sense, should be good.

Hill is one of those TUFers that should have spend more time in the bush leagues. I can't see her beating anyone in the top 10. And all the yapping about Calderwood was ridiculous. Jojo would school her.

Rose by sub but Hill is pretty good on the feet. I think it will be competitive and fun before the finish.

Fight makes no sense, but it's WMMA so nobody cares enough.

Tune up fight..

Looks like Angela last fight in the UFC.

Wow. Didn't realize she didn't work on her wrestling. Maybe she said that to throw Carla off her game?
If she really didn't work on her wrestling, that's just as dumb as her starting out round 3 against Carla with a spinning back fist and front kick (proceeds to get taken down by Carla and finished a couple of minutes later).

The thing is, I don't believe that Rose has actually earned that #3 spot .. how could she? Just because she fought for the title coming out of the TUF tournament doesn't suggest to me that she should be ranked as #3 IMO.

That said, I am holding off on voting until the fight comes closer, and I have seen some training footage for each. I love the way Rose moves, and she has so much potential but she is also easily broken when a fight is not going her way.

Her game plan against Carla was stupid, as were her statements leading up to that fight (she said she didn't bother to train any wrestling ie: TDD for that fight). What kind of coach lets that happen?

Angela has a legit chance to beat Rose on the feet, so flying armbar maybe??

Crazy to think I could get them both in a headlock (one under each arm) and pretend I was a run away train, while ramming their heads into other people and what not.
And there ain't a thing they could do about it.

Crazy to think I could get them both in a headlock (one under each arm) and pretend I was a run away train, while ramming their heads into other people and what not.

I'm sure it wouldn't be that easy... :rolleyes:

You might think differently when they grab your balls.

Back