Crime Rookie Sacramento Officer Ambushed and Killed while Handling Domestic Disturbance Call

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Hero Down: Sacramento Police Officer Tara O'Sullivan Murdered In Ambush

Some coverage from FOX with maps and additional info that was being reported last night as this unfolded:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/sacramento-cop-shot-by-gunman-in-possible-ambush-report

Police statement via the AP News:

tara-o-sullivan-1561020651.jpg

053339ea-Capture.jpg

Tara O'Sullivan was 26-years-old, was accompanied by a training officer, and was helping a woman move her things out of a house during a domestic disturbance. The man shot her in the backyard. She was pinned down there for at least a few hours, I believe, because the other officers couldn't reach her while the perpetrator continued to fire rounds with a high-powered rifle. Eventually she was reached, and they transported her to the hospital, where she died. Fortunately, the woman involved in the domestic disturbance was not killed.

The officers were only able to access and transport O'Sullivan out with an armored car unit. Some have called for those to be disallowed in police forces. Obama banned the sale of tracked armored vehicles to police. While I generally support the de-militarization of our police I don't want to take away tools with strong defensive capabilities like this.

The standoff itself lasted for at least 8 hours. Reportedly, the response to the call began around noon on Wednesday, and the man turned himself in around 2AM on Thursday (14 hour window).

O'Sullivan is the first Sacramento officer to be killed in 20 years.

Suspect In Shooting, Killing Of Sacramento Police Officer Tara O’Sullivan Surrenders
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Authorities say the person suspected of shooting and killing a Sacramento police officer in North Sacramento on Wednesday has surrendered.

Sacramento police say 26-year-old officer Tara O’Sullivan was shot and killed in the line of duty while helping a woman remove her belongings from inside a home on Redwood Avenue, near El Camino Avenue.

The suspect reportedly shot O’Sullivan with what officials are calling a “high-powered rifle,” then kept firing – barricading himself inside the home.

Crews desperately tried to reach O’Sullivan, who was down in a yard behind the house, but heavy gunfire kept them back for nearly an hour. Multiple officers returned fire, police say, and neighbors in the area were evacuated.

An armored vehicle moved-in a little under an hour after O’Sullivan was shot and got her out. She was later pronounced dead after she was transported to the hospital.

Police say the suspect eventually surrendered just before 2 a.m. Thursday. The suspect’s name has not been released.

O’Sullivan was a Sacramento State graduate and was hired by the Sacramento Police Department in January 2018. She joined the academy just a few months later.

Sac State President Robert S. Nelson mourned the loss of O’Sullivan in a statement released on Thursday.

“Our hearts go out to Tara’s family, friends, classmates, and fellow officers. This exceptional young officer will be remembered by the Hornet Family for her intelligence, commitment to public service, and bravery,” Nelson said.

According to the Pleasant Hill Police Officers’ Association, O’Sullivan was a 2011 graduate of College Park High School and was a police explorer with the Pleasant Hill and Martinez police departments.

Nelson noted that O’Sullivan was part of the first graduating class of Sac State’s Law Enforcement Candidate Scholars Program. She also received a Bachelor of Arts in Child Development.
Let's see how long it takes to get that information out.

Meanwhile, Sacramento police had to deal with this while evacuating & locking down the area so that no civilians would catch a bullet:

This speaks to the lack of credibility police officers have with the public. Can only blame them for decades of abuse. Many people do not trust them or like them.
Sad, but true.

This speaks to the lack of credibility police officers have with the public. Can only blame them for decades of abuse. Many people do not trust them or like them.
The thing is that i have seen on camera easily 10x more acts of heroism by cops than corrupt acts. It would make sense if it was 50/50 but it clearly is not even that high.

The thing is that i have seen on camera easily 10x more acts of heroism by cops than corrupt acts. It would make sense if it was 50/50 but it clearly is not even that high.

If you're looking for things to be recorded before you consider them, you're going to be waiting a long time.

Rodney King was a breaking point, not an isolated incident.

My experience has been the exact opposite

Bullshit. I don't know anyone that would act that way towards the police in those circumstances.
Those woman are subhumans that can't clearly function in a civilized society. I bet you that they take some form of welfare from the government that "oppresses" them.

What a fucking joke lol. If you believe that you're part of the problem. They have an excuse to hate cops now given to them by their President Obama they're not going to let that excuse go. And LOL at the liberal pussies on here acting like those women saying that shit on camera is justified.

Right, I'm sure these are upstanding pillars of their community and their plight is solely due to policing.

What a fucking joke lol. If you believe that you're part of the problem. They have an excuse to hate cops now given to them by their President Obama they're not going to let that excuse go. And LOL at the liberal pussies on here acting like those women saying that shit on camera is justified.

You think people used Obama as an excuse to hate the police? Lol. They haven't been hating them for decades? "F the Police" wasn't a hit song in the 80s? You seem confused sir.

If you're looking for things to be recorded before you consider them, you're going to be waiting a long time.

Rodney King was a breaking point, not an isolated incident.
I would have expected more acts of corruption caught on video since 2014 when the usage of body came became far more prevelant

My experience has been the exact opposite

To safely assume any given officer involved shooting was bad would require nearly 50% of all officer involved shooting to be bad. You might disagree with my logic but i have certainly not seen 50% shootings be bad

These communities should feel free to police themselves since they don't want actual police around. Police patrols should be moved out of those areas entirely.

Until they need one. All of a sudden they can't dial that "911" fast enough.

EDIT: Damn, gang tackle lol.

Yes, in last ditch efforts they'll try calling the police and hope they'll do their jobs properly. What else would you have them do?

lol at "the public". Is it the public at large, or is it mostly the "hands up don't shoot" community with shockingly high crime rates who seem to think fighting cops and resisting arrest is normal in other communities too?

lol at "the public". Is it the public at large, or is it mostly the "hands up don't shoot" community with shockingly high crime rates who seem to think fighting cops and resisting arrest is normal in other communities too?

You may be surprised to find out large segments of all demographics, including white ones, do not have high opinions of the Police.

But good to know you consider so called black people not part of the public. At least you don't call them subhuman I guess.

Hero Down: Sacramento Police Officer Tara O'Sullivan Murdered In Ambush

Some coverage from FOX with maps and additional info that was being reported last night as this unfolded:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/sacramento-cop-shot-by-gunman-in-possible-ambush-report

Police statement via the AP News:

tara-o-sullivan-1561020651.jpg

053339ea-Capture.jpg

Tara O'Sullivan was 26-years-old, was accompanied by a training officer, and was helping a woman move her things out of a house during a domestic disturbance. The man shot her in the backyard. She was pinned down there for at least a few hours, I believe, because the other officers couldn't reach her while the perpetrator continued to fire rounds with a high-powered rifle. Eventually she was reached, and they transported her to the hospital, where she died. Fortunately, the woman involved in the domestic disturbance was not killed.

The officers were only able to access and transport O'Sullivan out with an armored car unit. Some have called for those to be disallowed in police forces. Obama banned the sale of tracked armored vehicles to police. While I generally support the de-militarization of our police I don't want to take away tools with strong defensive capabilities like this.

The standoff itself lasted for at least 8 hours. Reportedly, it the response to the call began around noon on Wednesday, and the man turned himself in around 2AM on Thursday (14 hour window).

O'Sullivan is the first Sacramento officer to be killed in 20 years.

Suspect In Shooting, Killing Of Sacramento Police Officer Tara O’Sullivan Surrenders

Let's see how long it takes to get that information out.

Meanwhile, Sacramento police had to deal with this while evacuating & locking down the area so that no civilians would catch a bullet:

I nearly started this thread but didn't because the only cops most of this forum gives a runny shit about are the ones who aren't fantastic.

Let's see if the MSM gives this as much attention as when a criminal gets killed. Will there be riots by police?

Ironically enough having Armored track vehicles in every neighborhood only makes situations like these more common.

Let's not act like it's the only way to save lives in these situations, as clearly it's not

I know Obama wants all cops dead but you really can't pin this one on him.

Back