Rogan: Anderson was winning the first Chris Weidman fight

Que?

That first gif of lunging forward and hitting Anderson square on the jaw is in the first round... And he walked away completely unscathed.

Weidman was completely comfortable on the feet against Silva, as shown in all 4 rounds of their fighting together.

I swear people have seen a different fight than I have.

Finishing_sequence_medium.png

This image is a better illustration. Like I said, it worked out perfectly but the result doesn't make the method ideal.

Head hunting like that wasn't part of his game plan. It was a result of frustration. The big difference was Anderson's stance.

Typically he will taunt with the ability to pivot and move. He was square which essentially restricts all of your movement to your upper body. It was the sole reason he got KO'd in that fight.

This in no way shape or form means that Weidman wasn't the better fighter. He was.

Huh?

Anderson won no part of either of those fights. At all.

Exactly. There wasn't a moment in them where he was "ahead" or winning. Both were pretty much all Weidman doing what he wanted to do. Sure, Silva managed to do one thing in the first fight and that is goading Weidman into a stand up fight, after noticing how badly the fight was going to go if it went back to the ground. That he certainly succeeded in. But he probably wishes he didn't.

Just because people had a "feeling" based on previous Anderson fights where they expected the lightning to strike any second now, doesn't mean he did anything in the fights. For example you can say that JDS was winning against Cain in both the fights he lost, because he was known to deliver KO's and Cain wasn't. That would be just as stupid. Gut feeling is not a criteria how to judge fights.

Same here. It's like people don't realize Anderson wasn't fighting smart at all. For fuck's sake he had his hands at his waist moving straight backward to try and avoid Chris' punches.

:icon_neut
I'm confused how any of this has anything to do with what anybody is talking about at all.

How does Anderson fighting terrible make people believe Chris "was on the way to being mentally defeated" as you put it? Or losing momentum?

Where is the connection?

Anderson fighting terrible would only give The Chris confidence in his abilities... Which it did, obviously.

Finishing_sequence_medium.png

This image is a better illustration. Like I said, it worked out perfectly but the result doesn't make the method ideal.

Head hunting like that wasn't part of his game plan. It was a result of frustration. The big difference was Anderson's stance.

Typically he will taunt with the ability to pivot and move. He was square which essentially restricts all of your movement to your upper body. It was the sole reason he got KO'd in that fight.

But... It was.

Weidman comfortably traded with Silva for most of the first round in the first fight.

I'm confused how any of this has anything to do with what anybody is talking about at all.

How does Anderson fighting terrible make people believe Chris "was on the way to being mentally defeated" as you put it? Or losing momentum?

Where is the connection?

Anderson fighting terrible would only give The Chris confidence in his abilities... Which it did, obviously.

He couldn't gain the takedown and was goaded into a stand-up fight with Anderson. Many saw that as the only path for Weidman to win when the fight was announced. He also couldn't hurt Anderson with any punches on the feet until Anderson attempted to slip his punches like an amateur and was put to sleep (and rightly so, Chris can throw a great punch)

Anderson was talking shit to him instead of listening to his corner between rounds, he was completely neglecting the fundamentals of defense to try and clown Weidman, and he fucking feigned being hurt while standing in right in front of Weidman. He fought like an idiot and paid for it. Chris capitalized as he should, he's a great fighter and I knew he was capable of capitalizing on any opportunity to finish the fight even before he knocked Anderson out.

Anderson landed maybe 1 punch in the entire first fight.
A typical Anderson fight consists of Silva landing at will. Not wiffing at air.

All in all, the only thing to say about Rogan's striking analysis is:
"Nice leg kick by Irvin".

Maybe they're talking about a typical Anderson fight when fighting Chael.

People got so used to seeing him making a comeback that even though he was losing the fight they were scoring it for him in their minds.

He couldn't gain the takedown and was goaded into a stand-up fight with Anderson.
Well first, Weidman secured an equal number of takedowns against Silva as Chael did in the first round of fighting (both were 1/2). That is nothing to be frustrated about. Sounds like a winning game plan to me.

Many saw that as the only path for Weidman to win when the fight was announced. He also couldn't hurt Anderson with any punches on the feet until Anderson attempted to slip his punches like an amateur and was put to sleep (and rightly so, Chris can throw a great punch)

Anderson was talking shit to him instead of listening to his corner between rounds, he was completely neglecting the fundamentals of defense to try and clown Weidman, and he fucking feigned being hurt while standing in right in front of Weidman. He fought like an idiot and paid for it. Chris capitalized as he should, he's a great fighter and I knew he was capable of capitalizing on any opportunity to finish the fight even before he knocked Anderson out.
Anderson talking shit between rounds should do exactly the opposite of what you are suggesting. Weidman, and the viewers, should have more faith in Weidman at this time as Chris was clearing getting in Anderson's head. Not the other way around.

Rogan is very correct and he calls it as he sees its just not how Weidman nuthuggers want to hear it.

He couldn't gain the takedown and was goaded into a stand-up fight with Anderson. Many saw that as the only path for Weidman to win when the fight was announced. He also couldn't hurt Anderson with any punches on the feet until Anderson attempted to slip his punches like an amateur and was put to sleep (and rightly so, Chris can throw a great punch)

He was hit square in the jaw several times, hard enough to make his head jerk backwards. I've no idea how you can come to the conclusion those didnt hurt him.

Is it your stance that unless it puts Anderson out he's impervious to pain? That's ludicrous.

Just because people had a "feeling" based on previous Anderson fights where they expected the lightning to strike any second now, doesn't mean he did anything in the fights.
. I really like this. I felt Anderson was coming around in rd2, but you make a great point! I only felt that way because of past fights. Chris was only ever in danger of the "possibility". Fucking sherdog changin' my mind and shit

Well first, Weidman secured an equal number of takedowns against Silva as Chael did in the first round of fighting (both were 1/2). That is nothing to be frustrated about. Sounds like a winning game plan to me.

Anderson talking shit between rounds should do exactly the opposite of what you are suggesting. Weidman, and the viewers, should have more faith in Weidman at this time as Chris was clearing getting in Anderson's head. Not the other way around.
Anderson easily stuffed 2 takedowns from him.

Hindsight is 20/20. Even BloodyElbow stated in the PbP that "Weidman won the round, but lost the fight"

He was hit square in the jaw several times, hard enough to make his head jerk backwards. I've no idea how you can come to the conclusion those didnt hurt him.

Is it your stance that unless it puts Anderson out he's impervious to pain? That's ludicrous.

Anderson is human and a hard shot would buckle his legs, none of those punches did. He only knocked out when pivoting into a punch while leaning backwards on his toes, the absolute worst position to put yourself especially when running into a power punch such as a left hook.

Anderson easily stuffed 2 takedowns from him.

Hindsight is 20/20. Even BloodyElbow stated in the PbP that "Weidman won the round, but lost the fight"
Anderson easily stuffed something like 5 of Chael's takedowns in the first fight... That doesn't mean Anderson was doing well, or had any momentum shift in his favour at all.

Lol 2nd round knockout, clearly lost the first round. How could Anderson be winning that fight? Smh

I too thought he was winning the FIRST fight until the KO

the 2nd fight weidman dominated the whole time though

Can you elaborate as to why you think this?

Did you think Anderson won the first round? What do you feel Anderson was doing effectively?

Classic shitty Rogan take, tbh.

lol @ people still taking redhawks bait

It's the weed talking. Or maybe it's time for him to step down if he was in fact sober.

Anderson is human and a hard shot would buckle his legs, none of those punches did. He only knocked out when pivoting into a punch while leaning backwards on his toes, the absolute worst position to put yourself especially when running into a power punch such as a left hook.

You're saying a fighter isnt hurt by any strikes until they get rocked or knocked out? That's the most retarded thing I've heard all week.

Have you never been punched before?

He's right, Weidman's mind may have been close to cracking, it was an intense psychological battle, have a look at how intense the expressions on both fighters faces are at the end of round 1. Weidman's face, looks likes he's about to jump out of a plane or something.

Anderson easily stuffed something like 5 of Chael's takedowns in the first fight... That doesn't mean Anderson was doing well, or had any momentum shift in his favour at all.

I'm not saying that. I pointed that out to support the "mentally defeated idea" many people felt that he couldn't stand with Anderson and that when he couldn't get Anderson to the mat, he'd probably be finished. That's why he shocked the fucking world because he proved he could stand with Anderson and proved it brutally.

Back