Rockhold Could Retire Right Now and Easily be a Top 2-3 All Time Middleweight

Gabe

Saturdays are for the Boys
@Silver
Reaction score
He has beaten five people that are currently in the top ten - Jacare, Kennedy, Bisping, Machida, and Weidman. In all of those fights he has completely outclassed and dominated his opponent and he was ranked like #35 when he beat Jacare. The only two people who I think could be ahead of him in terms of quality wins are Anderson and possibly Vitor. The guy is only going to continue to get better with every fight.

He didn't completely outclass and dominate jacare and Weidman. That's just nonsense.

Sounds like you're a fan of Rockhold.

Sure, he's good, but I would think about in terms of all-time top fighters, even though he might very well be one.

He didn't completely outclass and dominate jacare and Weidman. That's just nonsense.
Weidman looked like he got mauled by a bear after that fight. Luke destroyed him on the ground, the place where Weidman was supposed to be better. Also he was still very green for the Jacare fight.

Still he will be forgotten in a couple years if he did.

Like Frank Shamrock or some chit.

Weidman looked like he got mauled by a bear after that fight. Luke destroyed him on the ground, the place where Weidman was supposed to be better. Also he was still very green for the Jacare fight.

The fight was very close until the finish...that doesn't translate to outclass and dominate. And being "green" has nothing to do with what you stated. Makes no sense....yeah Luke dominated jacare in a very close fight because he was green...okay bud.

I honestly think it's impossible to establish all-time rankings, because there are too many different variables to be taken in consideration. The sport has changed a lot throughout the years, it's still changing, and each fighter and his record have their unique circumstances.

For example, you can argue Rockhold should be better ranked than Weidman because of their fight, but you could also argue Weidman comes first because he was the man to defeat Anderson. You can say that Weidman destroyed Vitor and therefore should be better ranked than him, but you can also argue that Vitor has a more impressive record and has destroyed Rockhold, who has destroyed Weidman.

What I'm trying to say is that it's impossible to compare different circumstances. Rankings are only legit when they talk about the present imo. MMA is not an exact science.

7VN5Ep5.gif

You clearly haven't seen his fights against Jacare and Kennedy.

Kennedy fight was kinda dull I remember Tim trying to hold him against the cage but having no luck, he won clearly but it wasn't a domination and I thought he lost to Jacare but it was a close fight, he won by kicking Jacare's arms basically. I still think Jacare can beat Rockhold.

But yes he's got a pretty good career so far and will only add to it but people really need to drop the 'he dominated Weidman' nonsense, he beat him up badly when he finished him but he did dominate him the entire fight, that's just people who have seen the post fight pics and not the actual fight it was a close fight with each guy having won a round and the third was close until Weidman made a mistake and Rockhold took advantage like the great fighters should.

That only happened at the end of the third. Until that closing sequence, Weidman was winning the round, and the first 2 were very competitive. Not an "outclassing."

It's possibly true, but that's because MMA does not have an extensive history. Murilo Bustamante, Dan Henderson, Anderson Silva, Jacare Souza, Chris Weidman, Luke Rockhold, and Rich Franklin are like the only MWs with significant title victories and a decent track record.

While he may well be top 2-3 all time; winning rematches against Weidman, and a much better Souza will go a long way toward making that argument.

Fanboys gonna fanboy, nothing to see here. The man hasn't even defended his title yet. Same for Conor fanboys claiming GOAT status when he just won the actual FW belt.

Even if what you're saying is true, it wouldn't be realistically that hard to beat Rockhold's MW accomplishments if he retired today. He hasn't done enough to suggest someone in a few years wouldn't come along and do what Anderson did for close to a decade and surpass whatever he's done.

Wasn't too long ago people were talking about Weidman as the MW GOAT. Time does funny things to these arguments...

I honestly think it's impossible to establish all-time rankings, because there are too many different variables to be taken in consideration. The sport has changed a lot throughout the years, it's still changing, and each fighter and his record have their unique circumstances.

For example, you can argue Rockhold should be better ranked than Weidman because of their fight, but you could also argue Weidman comes first because he was the man to defeat Anderson. You can say that Weidman destroyed Vitor and therefore should be better ranked than him, but you can also argue that Vitor has a more impressive record and has destroyed Rockhold, who has destroyed Weidman.

What I'm trying to say is that it's impossible to compare different circumstances. Rankings are only legit when they talk about the present imo. MMA is not an exact science.

I agree with everything except "rankings are only legit when they talk about the present"

They're not legit now at all. They can't be. UFC has 114 LW's listed on their website. They fight on average twice a year each. There's nowhere close to enough data to honestly say where fighters rank.

When Cody Pfister lost to Sage he dropped about 150 spots on MMAmatrix' ranking... That's insane, they work OK when you get to the top 10-15 people but that's all.
They basically exist for marketing purposes.

Fighter A vs Fighter B (who cares)
Fighter A (4) vs. Fighter B (8)... well, that could be interesting... #4 vs. #8

He has beaten five people that are currently in the top ten - Jacare, Kennedy, Bisping, Machida, and Weidman. In all of those fights he has completely outclassed and dominated his opponent and he was ranked like #35 when he beat Jacare. The only two people who I think could be ahead of him in terms of quality wins are Anderson and possibly Vitor. The guy is only going to continue to get better with every fight.
No.

Andersen
Dan Henderson
Vitor
Ace Franklin
Frank Shamrock
Weidman

Will all be remembered before Rockhold.

Back