Robin Black : Cody Garbrandt is in a mental gun fight with a pointed stick

Christ that shirt is ridiculous. You're a 40 something year old man dress like it.

You are some random on a fight forum critiquing another dudes dress sense.....

Have some self respect man ffs.

1. Yes, this isn't Cody's first time.
2. Not particularly - because I was confident in my presentation
3. Criticism AFTER it was all said and done? Sure. Before? I have no control over that.

I don't know and can't check if you are saying the truth, maybe you are the rare type who does not fear the public interviews, but most people are.
And being able to fight in the cage doesn't mean a person can take the pressure of publicity easily.

Plus take into account this:

1- This is fight business. Result can be injury or even death.
Stakes are super high and so run the emotions.

2-This is Cody's first time in a Big Show. Headlined by Ronda. Publicity is 10x bigger than anything Cody used to.

3- He's facing a best BW of all time, before that he fought #7.
Huge leap in competition.

4- Cruz is a mastr ananlyst and manipulator.
What happens before the fight will be seen by tens of millions people!
And Cruz is making a fool out of Cody.
Making him lose control, curse on TV, where it's firbidden and look silly.

Cody feels that and allready a lot of people in interviews and twitter and all the social media are making laugh of him.

That situation with GF - keep your fling on a string was ridiculous.

Don't you think it bothers him, makes him agressive, neurotic and burns him out?

I don't know and can't check if you are saying the truth, maybe you are the rare type who does not fear the public interviews, but most people are.
And being able to fight in the cage doesn't mean a person can take the pressure of publicity easily.

Plus take into account this:

1- This is fight business. Result can be injury or even death.
Stakes are super high and so run the emotions.

2-This is Cody's first time in a Big Show. Headlined by Ronda. Publicity is 10x bigger than anything Cody used to.

3- He's facing a best BW of all time, before that he fought #7.
Huge leap in competition.

4- Cruz is a mastr ananlyst and manipulator.
What happens before the fight will be seen by tens of millions people!
And Cruz is making a fool out of Cody.
Making him lose control, curse on TV, where it's firbidden and look silly.

Cody feels that and allready a lot of people in interviews and twitter and all the social media are making laugh of him.

That situation with GF - keep your fling on a string was ridiculous.

Don't you think it bothers him, makes him agressive, neurotic and burns him out?

You're makng an argument against something I never said. I said it doesn't mean AS MUCH as people think it does, not that it's meaningless.
Those are two different ideas completely.

Cruz will beat Cody because he's better. If you want to lessen him just being a fantastic fighter compared to Cody by (in my opinion) overstating the importance of the pre-fight mental game, that's on you. I honestly don't believe it matters that much.

Honestly, who the fuck is he to say shit like that?

Lol, a human, with a mouth. We have threads about "how shook" fighters are.

Do you know Robin's podcast is called Mentality of Combat Sports? It's a subject he's looked into and talked about for a long time.

Lol, a human, with a mouth.

Do you know Robin's podcast is called Mentality of Combat Sports? It's a subject he's looked into and talked about for a long time.

Mental warfare in blood sports is so important you can win a fight before stepping into the ring.

You're makng an argument against something I never said. I said it doesn't mean AS MUCH as people think it does, not that it's meaningless.
Those are two different ideas completely.

Cruz will beat Cody because he's better. If you want to lessen him just being a fantastic fighter compared to Cody by (in my opinion) overstating the importance of the pre-fight mental game, that's on you. I honestly don't believe it matters that much.

Ok, then explain how MUCH people think it matters.

Where, exactly, am i overstating?

Do you have amateur fights yourself?

Mental warfare in blood sports is so important you can win a fight before stepping into the ring.

I agree, bro.
Those who thinks that's it's unimportant or it's importance is low, has never stepped in the ring/cage themselves or been in extreme situations.

Alpha Male like

image-02-large.jpg

I agree, bro.
Those who thinks that's it's unimportant or it's importance is low, has never stepped in the ring/cage themselves or been in extreme situations.

Yeah for sure I know it's real cause I been undone by opponents before. You can get so caught up in the here and now it drowns out all logic going in.

Ok, then explain how MUCH people think it matters.

Where, exactly, am i overstating?

Do you have amateur fights yourself?

Your original post was "And lol at simple fucks who think "it's not important""
My response?
I don't think that it's not important, I just think people overstate it's importance.
No I don't have amateur fights, unless youth boxing or grappling tourneys count (which they really don't). But to your point in a post later, have I been in "extreme" situations/pressure filled situations? Lol yes. And I'd be happy to elaborate if you want to keep talking through PM

I don't know how much it affects people. I know enough about psychology to feel safe making the assumption that it's probably on a case by case basis. And I make the assumption (read as in my opinion) that it won't matter that much in this case. I think the gulf in skills is pretty wide, I think Cody (a fighter who has already said before that he puts himself in the frame of mind to dislike a guy/hate a guy) will probably go after Cruz like he would have anyway.

And moreover if you want to say that Cody will experience pressure because of the moment etc etc etc, there have been plenty of fighters with the same pressures, who make massive jumps to the big stage. Sometimes they sink, sometimes they swim. There's no real way of knowing until they tell you what the deal was after the fight. I am fine admitting that this is my opinion, and I don't have much data to base it on. Just anecdotal evidence, and the little bit I know about these guys from media obligations.

But unless you know either guy personally, you're working off the same data and information than I am. I said people overstate it's importance in my opinion. That's because they're drawing their own conclusions based off of limited data. And you're free to do that, and if you know more than I do about Cruz or Cody's mental state then feel free to share.

What I gather about HOW MUCH people think it matters is this - People on Sherdog, and in the MMA media (sports media does it as well : X team doesn't kowhow to win, this guy choked under pressure [when statistically he's the same as he is every other night], this athlete is over confident [then the guy goes out and wins ]) make these wide sweeping assumptions about fighters mental states, where they are emotionally, what triggers them, whether or not this behavior is out of type for them ectera based on the same limited information that I have (sometimes more, in which case I'll usually not argue with them). And just as they are fine with doing that, I feel fine with stating that I don't agree. I believe in picking and looking at fights based upon what I can actually see, and that's the skills of both guys and what they've been able to do in the cage. If people want to say "X will win because Y is balls deep in their head" more power to you. Those things are important, but I don't think they're all important - and even if they were, I don't think most people have enough information to make judgements on them.

Last edited:
Robin Black is a fucking sage.
Unless Cody lands that big shot tonight then he's gonna be the Rachel Madcow of MMA predictions.

Your original post was "And lol at simple fucks who think "it's not important""
My response?
I don't think that it's not important, I just think people overstate it's importance.
No I don't have amateur fights, unless youth boxing or grappling tourneys count (which they really don't). But to your point in a post later, have I been in "extreme" situations/pressure filled situations? Lol yes. And I'd be happy to elaborate if you want to keep talking through PM

I don't know how much it affects people. I know enough about psychology to feel safe making the assumption that it's probably on a case by case basis. And I make the assumption (read as in my opinion) that it won't matter that much in this case. I think the gulf in skills is pretty wide, I think Cody (a fighter who has already said before that he puts himself in the frame of mind to dislike a guy/hate a guy) will probably go after Cruz like he would have anyway.

And moreover if you want to say that Cody will experience pressure because of the moment etc etc etc, there have been plenty of fighters with the same pressures, who make massive jumps to the big stage. Sometimes they sink, sometimes they swim. There's no real way of knowing until they tell you what the deal was after the fight. I am fine admitting that this is my opinion, and I don't have much data to base it on. Just anecdotal evidence, and the little bit I know about these guys from media obligations.

But unless you know either guy personally, you're working off the same data and information than I am. I said people overstate it's importance in my opinion. That's because they're drawing their own conclusions based off of limited data. And you're free to do that, and if you know more than I do about Cruz or Cody's mental state then feel free to share.

What I gather about HOW MUCH people think it matters is this - People on Sherdog, and in the MMA media (sports media does it as well : X team doesn't kowhow to win, this guy choked under pressure [when statistically he's the same as he is every other night], this athlete is over confident [then the guy goes out and wins ]) make these wide sweeping assumptions about fighters mental states, where they are emotionally, what triggers them, whether or not this behavior is out of type for them ectera based on the same limited information that I have (sometimes more, in which case I'll usually not argue with them). And just as they are fine with doing that, I feel fine with stating that I don't agree. I believe in picking and looking at fights based upon what I can actually see, and that's the skills of both guys and what they've been able to do in the cage. If people want to say "X will win because Y is balls deep in their head" more power to you. Those things are important, but I don't think they're all important - and even if they were, I don't think most people have enough information to make judgements on them.

Ok, thanks man, for detalized opinion,i agree with what you wrote.

My opinion on the fight is that Cruz intentionally makes Cody angry and lose control, anxious before the fight, ultra agressive in the fight and punch himself out in the first two rounds.
I see Cruz starting to pick apart Cody in 3rd and TKO in 4th.
I guess we'll soon find out.

Enjoy the fights!

Ok, thanks man, for detalized opinion,i agree with what you wrote.

My opinion on the fight is that Cruz intentionally makes Cody angry and lose control, anxious before the fight, ultra agressive in the fight and punch himself out in the first two rounds.
I see Cruz starting to pick apart Cody in 3rd and TKO in 4th.
I guess we'll soon find out.

Enjoy the fights!
I mostly agree with you
I think Cody will lose steam around the third, I think we see a decently competitive second and then Cody swinging and hitting mostly air - maybe a spot or two where his aggressive pays off. But Cruz is too tough, too experienced and too svavy, takes over in the championship rounds to grab a late stoppage or a pretty convincing decision.

I mostly agree with you
I think Cody will lose steam around the third, I think we see a decently competitive second and then Cody swinging and hitting mostly air - maybe a spot or two where his aggressive pays off. But Cruz is too tough, too experienced and too svavy, takes over in the championship rounds to grab a late stoppage or a pretty convincing decision.

Agreed.

To sum it up, psychology will play a bigger factor in this fight than in others, because the gap is too big, IMO.
Master analyst and gameplanner against hothead inexperienced wannabe alpha male.
Cruz is playing him.

Kind of reminds me of Rashad - Rampage feud on TUF, where sly Rashad with degree in psychology played simple Rampage who has clear anger problems.

The result of TUF and fight was obvious.

To be fair, nobody in the division is going to win a battle of wits with Dom. He's an expert at keeping cool and throwing out sharp verbal barbs in his soft-spoken voice. He doesn't get rattled. He's the ultimate instigator.

To be fair, nobody in the division is going to win a battle of wits with Dom. He's an expert at keeping cool and throwing out sharp verbal barbs in his soft-spoken voice. He doesn't get rattled. He's the ultimate instigator.

I want Dom vs Connor because of trash talk.
I know the weight difference would be big, but maybe Dom could use his movement and nullify Connor's power.

Robin Black has been sucking Dom's nuts for a while now. A true weirdo and an embarrassment to all Canadians.

Well, aside from gay looks, he says some pretty decent and interesting stuff in breakdowns and interviews.

Back