Robert Whittaker, Scared to Death of...

While it goes against my preferred narrative that Aussie wildlife isn't as scary as Americans think, I'll post this fir scale.

Discover the deadly beauty of the Sydney Funnel Web Spider. Featuring venom that is 15 times more powerful than a rattlesnake's, this spider is not one to be trifled with. Its aggressive nature and potent venom make it a formidable predator, ensuring its survival in the Australian wilderness.

And their preferred region is Sydney.

I'm a bit cautious of them but have only seen a few in my life. And yes I killed them, no remorse.

What happened?
Fucker took up residence under my dads computer desk, I was playing Doom from memory, after school.

Waves of throbbing pain, leg blew up like a balloon but was OK within a few hours. One of the more painful things I've ever experienced.

Getting the exterminator in once a year to spray for spiders is worth every cent...

I follow an aussie guy on youtube who catches spiders from his garden, and puts them in a terrarium...

Redback spiders are even more venomous than funnel-web... Dude has literally thousands in his garden at any time...

My grandmothers cousin used to keep free range spiders in his otherwise normal suburban house. Like heaps of them just roaming free.

He also dressed near exclusively in safari suites,

I’d be paranoid that they would find their way back in anyway. But that’s a great invention.
Pussy-ass engkish house spiders... No problem... Roid-rage aussie outback mankilling spiders... I'd be scared of making it angry!
Fucker took up residence under my dads computer desk, I was playing Doom from memory, after school.

Waves of throbbing pain, leg blew up like a balloon but was OK within a few hours. One of the more painful things I've ever experienced.

Getting the exterminator in once a year to spray for spiders is worth every cent...
Fuck that... you didn't need any anti-venom though? Any scars?

My grandmothers cousin used to keep free range spiders in his otherwise normal suburban house. Like heaps of them just roaming free.

He also dressed near exclusively in safari suites,

I allow one or two spiders to exist in certain parts of my house because they're awesome at keeping mosquitos at bay, but lately we've been getting false-widows in the UK, and they're less fun... My friend's sister lost a toe because one bit her in a shoe, and she got necrosis...

False-Widow-Spiders-Blog-Image-1.jpg

They really fuck you up...

48884109-10069085-image-m-2_1633615148818.jpg

When i discover a Huntsman spider in the lounge or bedroom, i put a plastic container over it, then slide a sheet of paper between it and the wall, then take it outside and release it. If one is on the ceiling then it can get a little worrying as you have to stand directly underneath the thing with the container. However in all these years i've never had one drop/jump on my face, not yet anyway.
They are scary when you find one in the car as you're driving along!
5387394534_8da0462287_b.jpg

Fuck that... you didn't need any anti-venom though? Any scars?
I probably should have... but both parents were off at work. By the time they got home it was less horrifically painful. Still nearly twice the size of what my leg looked like normally though.

Worked out OK. /shrugs

When i discover a Huntsman spider in the lounge or bedroom, i put a plastic container over it, then slide a sheet of paper between it and the wall, then take it outside and release it. If one is on the ceiling then it can get a little worrying as you have to stand directly underneath the thing with the container. However in all these years i've never had one drop/jump on my face, not yet anyway.
Wtf, man. I’d burn my fucking house down if I ever found one of those inside.

Burn the fucking house down.

Please do explain? You’re god? You’re the determiner of life value?
Neither, just a slight bit of common sense.

One has material value, it can feed people, clothe people, bones, tendons, damn near everything can be used for something. Wasting it is objectively wasting resources that could help someone survive, feed a starving kid, supply a food bank, whatever.

The other is a bug. They aren't without value, but it's one of those "levels to this shit" situations.

Last edited:
That's a Sydney funnel web and Rob has like 9 kids so yeah a reason not to want it too close. Those Fuckers are deadly. They can play dead in a way, people find them in their pool all the time assuming they're dead and they wake up a few hours later looking for vengeance.

Majority of our spoods are harmless though. We just tell people they're not so they fuck off. Indians are onto us though and are invading with great numbers

Lived in Australia 10 years, mostly inner city Melbourne and Sydney; dangerous spiders are very rare there, snakes non existent. Surfed a lot too (almost daily for several years) and never saw a shark of any kind, although you know they are there so avoid being alone, estuaries, etc.

Now to the scary stuff … the absolutely SCARIEST thing that can happen in Australia: you’re relaxing at home, for example reading in bed (as it happened to me) or watching TV, and suddenly from your peripheral vision you see something crawling. A likely dangerous nasty looking spider.

You need something to kill it, briefly run out to get a vacuum cleaner or broom or something long, quickly come back, and … it’s gone!!! You move the furniture slowly every which way and … no spider!!!

You absolutely want to move out or burn the house down.

I had a friend who had the same situation in his car! Jumped out to get something to smash it with, and it disappeared! Sold the car 3 days later, though maybe it had nested somewhere under the dash and soon hundreds of babies would be born … !!!

View attachment 1031375
A nest, picture for reference to give us all a sleepless night.

Lmao mate that's just a wall puppy and her babies. They're awesome

Neither, just a slight bit of common sense.

One has material value, it can feed people, clothe people, bones, tendons, damn near everything can be used for something. Wasting it is objectively wasting resources that could help someone survive, feed a starving kid, supply a food bank, whatever.

The other is a bug. They aren't without value, but it's one of those "levels to this shit" situations.

I agree with everything you’re saying in regards to its value as a resource 100% in comparison to a bug. I guess what I was trying to say has a more deeper meaning than that. Bottom line is, a life is a life. I’m one that believes our lives are no more important than a bugs in the grand scheme of things.

For instance when someone fucks with an ant hill, you don’t think those ants feel the same fear and anxiety that a human would feel being torpedo’d on submarine? We just don’t relate because they are bugs, nothing like us anatomically, and are 1/10000000th our size.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back