• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News RIZIN NYE: around 20 fights, more foreigners, 100% arena capacity, announcements in early Dec

of course but aren't they like $200 million in debt? beggars can't choose. plus they're not really competitors, they haven't had a Japan event in years, sounds like an easy $50 to me
Why would RIZIN want Aoki anyway? Nobody in Japan likes the guy

i dont know any of these fighters anymore, anyone i should look out for on the card?

I don't know about Rena, but Asakura brothers are definitely more trending today than Aoki was in his prime.

I never liked Rena’s fights, even in Sbox. I’m sure in in the minority here, especially on an English speaking MMA board. Her MMA career has been worse. If she doesn’t fight someone in their 40’s, or a fighter with a bad record, she is getting badly beaten.

Two questions for you, because you would know.

1.) What did Mikuru get in trouble for during his youth?

2.) Was Akira Maeda really a pervert of the lowest form? I know he’s a wife beater, creep.

ONE signs exclusive contracts, so you want Rizin to contract tamper and get taken to court by ONE? The only fighter that goes outside the organization is Rodtang, but that is exclusive to only Thailand fights.

So you admit that ONE does let fighters compete outside of ONE in the same post you are complaining about me asking if a fighter can fight....outside of ONE?

I don't know about Rena, but Asakura brothers are definitely more trending today than Aoki was in his prime.
Rena is more famous than any of them, she's a mainstream tabloid figure in Japan and everything she does gets reported on.

She was also RIZIN's main TV ratings draw from 2015 to 2017 and probably the main reason the org survived long enough to put on the Mayweather/Tenshin fight, which is still their biggest TV figure.

I never liked Rena’s fights, even in Sbox. I’m sure in in the minority here, especially on an English speaking MMA board. Her MMA career has been worse. If she doesn’t fight someone in their 40’s, or a fighter with a bad record, she is getting badly beaten.

2.) Was Akira Maeda really a pervert of the lowest form? I know he’s a wife beater, creep.
Rena's career has been dramatic and insane and she put the entire org on her back through its toughest years. VanZandt was 7-2 and Perjés was 7-1 when she beat them.

Minority or not, you seem to just be a moron. Ignore list for you.

So you admit that ONE does let fighters compete outside of ONE in the same post you are complaining about me asking if a fighter can fight....outside of ONE?
Thailand is completely different and ONE aren't targeting Thailand to try and take over the stadium Muay scene, not that they could, even if they wanted to. Allowing the Muay Thai fighters to compete in the stadiums is natural because they fight 10 times a year and it doesnt realistically impact ONE's market.

ONE are partnered with a huge Japanese broadcaster and using Aoki as a central face of that push, they also tried to sign Tenshin and Rena from RIZIN in 2019, flew both of them out to Evolve at Singapore to let them train there for free. They see RIZIN as opposition and want to wipe them out, like the UFC saw Strikeforce. That's why they took their tentpole "Century" double card to Tokyo before the pandemic in 2019.

Rena is more famous than any of them, she's a mainstream tabloid figure in Japan and everything she does gets reported on.

She was also RIZIN's main TV ratings draw from 2015 to 2017 and probably the main reason the org survived long enough to put on the Mayweather/Tenshin fight, which is still their biggest TV figure.

Regarding the millions Mayweather took home, this is what Sakakibara said in a pubic interview.

"How did you come up with such a big sum of money for this fight?"

Sakakibara "the cash income from selling PRIDE has remained intact in our account and I'm paying with it."

Rena, an early Rizin headliner being more famous than Asakura brothers is kinda hard to accept.

1 he got into a lot of teenage gang fights.

2 the question was expired 7 months ago.

Regarding the millions Mayweather took home, this is what Sakakibara said in a pubic interview.

"How did you come up with such a big sum of money for this fight?"

Sakakibara "the cash income from selling PRIDE has remained intact in our account and I'm paying with it."

Rena, an early Rizin headliner being more famous than Asakura brothers is kinda hard to accept.

Sakakibara's press conference quips are about as trustworthy as they are relevant. RIZIN keeping their TV deal for 3 years is why they were able to do that fight. I posted the numbers, what else is there to say?

Sorry if you find it hard to accept.
Kubota appeared at the pre-recorded TV program Beautiful women athletes full performance: TV 2011 Athletic Club of Fire (美女アスリート総出演"炎の体育会TV2011", Bijo Asurīto Sōshutsuen Honō no Taiiku-Kai TV 2011) on TBS on January 11, 2011, where she faced and defeated male comedians Yu Shinagawa, Hidetsugu Shibata and Koji Imada in exhibition bouts.[32] While the show averaged 11.8% of TV rating, her appearance had the highest rating, 16.8%,[33][34] and her ring name became the second-highest searched for keyword on Google Japan the next day.

Kickboxing has historically been far bigger than MMA in Japan. K-1 dwarfed PRIDE and RIZIN's 2 biggest ratings draws are a kickboxer and a kickboxer-converted-MMA fighter.

Last edited:
When the main discussion had devolved into Rena VS Mikuru's star power, you know this thread is fucked lol.

Rena was the top star for a long time because she was regularly featured in Japan national TV since...2011, 2012?, but Mikuru is the most famous guy in Rizin's roster now, because this is YouTube era.

TV rating is a good measurement tool, but it is not as good as the past especially now that we have online TV like Abema and so many streaming services. I doubt Japanese gen Z kids even own TV unless they are staying at their parent house lol

Soo...are foreigners banned or not?
And will there be more fights?

Back