• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RIP GameStop

I noticed for at least the past year unless you preorderd the game ahead of time on a launch day they wouldnt sell you a copy. Or carry any extra.
So Id usually just walk over to target and buy one of the 50 copies they had no problem having in stock.
Anyway, fuck them and their shitty trade in values.

That's what i was about to say. It's an endangered species and destined to go extinct

With internet connections getting faster and faster , digital services , cloud gaming , streaming etc it's just a matter of time before the only placve you'ill find physical media is in a museum. It does sucks for business like Gamestop who have been around since forever but...it is what it is i guess

Probably better from an environmental point of view to not be producing loads of CDs though, so swings and roundabouts

I feel like 1,000 stores is only 500 strip malls worth of best buys.

My favorite Gamestop memory is the lady working completely assuming I was there to by Madden cause of how i look, naw bitch im buying Mortal Kombat.

I never shopped there anyway. They give you $1.50 for a game then turn around and sell it for $17.99

tenor.gif

I think your overlooking how much time and overhead it takes to sell a game.

I still buy physical copies of my games whenever I can but I haven't bought a game from a Gamestop since around 2006. I can get much better deals with Amazon and they have a great return policy.

They do have some dope action figures every now and then though.

They're "EB Games" now. They're essentially the Canadian Gamestop though. Gamestop bought them out in the mid 2000's.
Man, I had forgotten all about that place. I do like GameStop though. I like how they staff it with girls who are gamers, and while not the best looking, are fuckable and have low self esteem. If only I were younger and single, I would just go there to pick up chicks.

Amazon has taken over the internet shopping while Best Buy remains the solid state via in-person stores for electronics.

Fuck Best Buy, they are some weak ass sauce. If I have to go in person I much prefer the massive selection at Frye's Electronics.

Ripping people off on trade ins just not doing it anymore I gues, fuk um'

I don't game much anymore, but there is a great retro video game shop in my town. I hope these types of places keep it going!

I’m embarrassed I used to actually stand in line with those neck beard geeks for midnight call of duty and GTA releases.

I was there for the first mini retro games going on sale, lol. No fuckin shame man, not over this! lol

Last time I was in a Gamestop, maybe to buy Star Wars Black Series Gamestop exclusive Jango Fett, the store did look emptier. Less stuff on the sales floor.

The store space is too big and translates into too much expensive rent. Little mom & pop video games stores from college days, that eventually shut down, were much smaller and not in malls.

One Gamestop in a bigger mall smells like urine. I'd lose my marbles if I had to work several hours a day smelling urine. One employee there, maybe owner's kid, seemed mentally disabled.

Fuck Best Buy, they are some weak ass sauce. If I have to go in person I much prefer the massive selection at Frye's Electronics.
Best Buy has a nice ordering online system because if you are a member with good credit you can pay monthly on items. They have a good price match guarantee on the majority of their items as well.

I've heard of Frye's Electronics but we don't have one here where are those located, what part of the US you in?

That's so true. It was the beginning of the end for them, when they had to start depending on used sales with stupid markups, alienating their customers. You get treated like shit on both sides. That turned so many people off.

I grew up with that mark-up culture with used books.

They had a minimum price when they sold, so you'd buy used older books for more than cover price, but that policy didn't apply to what they paid when they bought books.

It was pretty frustrating to pay $1.50 for a book with a cover price of $1.25 knowing they paid .25 for it.

The fact that it was the only way they could stay in business wasn't something you considered, and I wish more people had.

I used to drive to Ottawa with my girlfriend and we'd spend a Saturday morning at the four-story Book Market looking for cool old books. I miss those days.

Good, fuck Gamestop/EB Games (in Canada). Their shitty trade practices, the way they treat their staff, the COVID protocols, their annoying pushing of warranties, cards, magazine subscriptions etc. The overpriced used games (never bought a used title from them I like to support the developers). Will not be sad to see them go. Digital is the future. It is sweet to have some discs in the shelf to show off or admire but honestly it is much better to have digital. No having to get off my lazy ass to switch discs. Don't have to worry about the discs potentially scratching and having to buy a new one. The only pro is that it is a quicker install off disc.

F62eejy.gif

Ripping people off on trade ins just not doing it anymore I gues, fuk um'

I don't game much anymore, but there is a great retro video game shop in my town. I hope these types of places keep it going!
Yeah, I have a couple of those too.

There's a market for physical still, especially vintage, but prob not in line with EB's business model. They'll be replaced, just on a smaller scale.

Good riddance. Stopped going there when I realized they were selling used games as new, probably 10 years ago.

Back