RIP Alan Minter

Good fighter. Quite young to pass away. He held a World title but wasn't really of the level to hold it. RIP

I was watching his fight with Hagler only a couple of days ago

Alan "Boom Boom" Minter was an excellent southpaw boxer-puncher. He had nice crisp skills & he could crack a bit when he set down on his shots. And while he had a solid chin he had tissue paper above his eyes which cost him several fights. But he beat several good fighters en route to the title like Sugar Ray Seales, Kevin Finnegan & Gratien Tonna. Then he upset champion Vito Antuofermo in a close fight to win the world title & then chopped him to pieces in a rematch stopping him in eight rounds.

But then came the Hagler fight & he was destroyed in three short fights by a motivated & determined machine of a fighter. He rebounded with a points win over the capable fringe contender Ernie Singletary but lost his final two fights to top contenders Mustafa Hamsho & Tony Sibson. He was unlucky to lose the decision to Hamsho as I thought he did enough to win over ten rounds but Sibson knocked him out in the third round ending his career.

So, while Minter wasn't one of the greats, he was a decent but short-lived champion.

LSD, coke, weed, ether...

ive been chased and confronted by a 6ft Smurf with a flick knife back in my younger days, after consuming shrooms. I was also stuck in a bottle for half the night on another occasion and half way up the tree in a mates garden picking the leaves off of his diamond tree! Still don’t think it’s a random as being followed by a fairly obscure boxer. LSD is a hell of a drug!

Let’s be real here, if Hagler v Minter had happened now everyone would be commenting that Marv looks juiced out of his mind... Minter was natty

Sad news. I remember as a kid watching his fight with Hagler live on TV, and being shocked by the crowd violence that occurred.

There was some racial tensions before the fight as far as I’m aware. Both guys to blame! Was also in the middle of the skin head movement and height of football violence. Not really surprising that it kicked off in hindsight

There was some racial tensions before the fight as far as I’m aware. Both guys to blame! Was also in the middle of the skin head movement and height of football violence. Not really surprising that it kicked off in hindsight
i never heard of marvin bringing race into a fight. In fact, he's rarely spoken on the subject. The only time i heard about him talking race was from the Petronelli's who said marvin didn't trust them at first and called them "whiteys"

i never heard of marvin bringing race into a fight. In fact, he's rarely spoken on the subject. The only time i heard about him talking race was from the Petronelli's who said marvin didn't trust them at first and called them "whiteys"

it was reported that he said he ‘didn’t touch white flesh’ and refused to shake minters hand. Minter reportedly said he’d never lose to a black man. Britain was very fckin racist back then. Seeing their man get fckin mauled probably exacerbated the situation

Yeah that was a fucked up night. Shameful in hindsight, that a atg experienced that kind of thing. Still happens a fair bit in small hall shows.

it was reported that he said he ‘didn’t touch white flesh’ and refused to shake minters hand. Minter reportedly said he’d never lose to a black man. Britain was very fckin racist back then. Seeing their man get fckin mauled probably exacerbated the situation
I dont believe that for a second. Hagler never shook hands preflight with anyone. If there isnt a recording I have no faith in the vile British press

I dont believe that for a second. Hagler never shook hands preflight with anyone. If there isnt a recording I have no faith in the vile British press

And apparently that was the reason? as I said, reportedly. I’m not sure minters on record being racist but it doesn’t mean he wasn’t, or didn’t hold them views, does it? And you don’t know Haglar, and already admitted he called people whitey! So it really isn’t that far fetched

Last edited:
And apparently that was the reason? as I said, reportedly. I’m not sure minters on record being racist but it doesn’t mean he wasn’t, or didn’t hold them views, does it? And you don’t know Haglar, and already admitted he called people whitey! So it really isn’t that far fetched
minter is on film saying something, he apologized later and Marvin didn't hold it against him, probably realizing it was just pre-fight bullshit but what I'm asking you for is something that you can't provide, if you can I 'll gladly watch it and say, "you were correct". Marvin never was much for trashtalk as such and as I said, he's never spoken on the subject of race, as far as I know, the only ref in all the reading I've done where he's mentioned race was through the petronellis. In fact, most of the black fighters of that era didn't talk much about race, I've never heard Tommy Hearns talk about it, Sugar Ray Leonard would say things sometimes in interviews about the south and how they'd call him "'boy' with the h".

Back