RIP Alan Minter

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Jonny Ninja, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Jonny Ninja Black Belt

And apparently that was the reason? as I said, reportedly. I’m not sure minters on record being racist but it doesn’t mean he wasn’t, or didn’t hold them views, does it? And you don’t know Haglar, and already admitted he called people whitey! So it really isn’t that far fetched

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    VodkaDrunkenski likes this.
  2. mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

minter is on film saying something, he apologized later and Marvin didn't hold it against him, probably realizing it was just pre-fight bullshit but what I'm asking you for is something that you can't provide, if you can I 'll gladly watch it and say, "you were correct". Marvin never was much for trashtalk as such and as I said, he's never spoken on the subject of race, as far as I know, the only ref in all the reading I've done where he's mentioned race was through the petronellis. In fact, most of the black fighters of that era didn't talk much about race, I've never heard Tommy Hearns talk about it, Sugar Ray Leonard would say things sometimes in interviews about the south and how they'd call him "'boy' with the h".

VodkaDrunkenski and Old Cat like this.
  3. Hagler Man of wealth and taste

RIP

All racism controversies put aside, the beating Hagler gave Minter is an underrated highlight of his, IMO.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Jonny Ninja likes this.
  4. Heath Robinson journeyman poster