Social Rice University Offers ‘Afrochemistry’ Class To Address ‘Inequities In Chemistry’

As usual, I came looking for the molehill that inevitably underpins these mountainous threads.

Not a requirement for the major. 15 student max enrollment. Sounds like any generic dumb college elective.

It's not even the worst college elective I've ever read about:

But it mentions race so here we go...

yep...more excuses

"not a requirement"
"just 15 students"
"dumb elective"

more of the same "it doesn't exist, it's only in academia, it's only one university, not in real life". same excuses we heard a decade ago when fat pinked haired feminists were ravaging through colleges with patriarchy theory.

the racist cancer that underpins this course is everywhere in society, from the whitehouse on down.

I just think we don’t need to inject race into everything, even Neil deGrasse Tyson turns down these universities during black history month when he gets invited.
It is just a intro/elective class. Some people need to take a science credit to graduate but they have no interest in the sciences. I have done the same thing with sociology/history. I had zero interest in it and I signed up for an Asian studies class because it was the only one that had an opening. I thought I would meet some hot kpop girls but it ended up being a South Asian class. I still had fun learning about Sikh diaspora and having buffet every two weeks.

yep...more excuses

"not a requirement"
"just 15 students"
"dumb elective"

more of the same "it doesn't exist, it's only in academia, it's only one university, not in real life". same excuses we heard a decade ago when fat pinked haired feminists were ravaging through colleges with patriarchy theory.

the racist cancer that underpins this course is everywhere in society, from the whitehouse on down.
Or...maybe it's just a college course that chooses to look at a standard subject from a different lens.

For example - everyone gets upset about African American studies but tons of schools have Russian and Eastern European studies. No one blinks an eye. Why? Because you guys have been programmed to overreact to any reference of "black" in the media.

I've been reading about Greek and Norse mythology my entire life without anyone being concerned. But if someone offered an course about Nigerian mythology, people would start talking about indoctrination, waste of resources, etc.

I get it, it's an easy way to polarize people for political purposes but, at some point, I'd expect people who spend their time talking about politics to stop falling into it. They, at least, would have connected the dots. For all of the talk about conspiracy theories, secret global elites, etc. it's insane to me that no one ever questions why they keep hearing about random normal events with a race related element. All I can guess is that it's been reliable for so long that people don't even question it anymore.

But that's fine. I'm just minimizing everything. This course is yet another harbinger of the problem in Western society...

Or...maybe it's just a college course that chooses to look at a standard subject from a different lens.

For example - everyone gets upset about African American studies but tons of schools have Russian and Eastern European studies. No one blinks an eye. Why? Because you guys have been programmed to overreact to any reference of "black" in the media.

I've been reading about Greek and Norse mythology my entire life without anyone being concerned. But if someone offered an course about Nigerian mythology, people would start talking about indoctrination, waste of resources, etc.

I get it, it's an easy way to polarize people for political purposes but, at some point, I'd expect people who spend their time talking about politics to stop falling into it. They, at least, would have connected the dots. For all of the talk about conspiracy theories, secret global elites, etc. it's insane to me that no one ever questions why they keep hearing about random normal events with a race related element. All I can guess is that it's been reliable for so long that people don't even question it anymore.

But that's fine. I'm just minimizing everything. This course is yet another harbinger of the problem in Western society...

let us know when they start using greeks, scandinavians, and russians as a wedge to break the country.

the sheer amount of victim/victimizer ideology and racism (against both whites and blacks) that's packed into this course is nuts. you will see the same outcry if it's about sex or sexuality.

Glaciers, gender, and science: A feminist glaciology framework for global environmental change research​

"wahhhhhh, the study of glaciers is too patriarchal. we gotta decolonize it and see it through a feminist lens. it can't just be a man's world, women are different and see things differently and there needs to be feminist producers of knowledge, that way we can address the inequities in glaciology".

same cancer.

https://dailycaller.com/2024/01/10/prestigious-rice-university-afrochemistry-class-chemistry/

Rice University, a prestigious academic institution, is currently offering a course on “Afrochemistry” that seeks to address “inequities in chemistry and chemical education.”

According to an online course schedule and catalog, this chemistry class has no final exam and goes from Jan. 8 to April 19, 2024.

“Students will apply chemical tools and analysis to understand Black life in the U.S. and students will implement African American sensibilities to analyze chemistry,” a course description from the catalog noted. “Diverse historical and contemporary scientists, intellectuals, and chemical discoveries will inform personal reflections and proposals for addressing inequities in chemistry and chemical education. This course will be accessible to students from a variety of backgrounds including STEM and non-STEM disciplines. No prior knowledge of chemistry or African American studies is required for engagement in this course.”

Will this lead to any scientific breakthroughs? <EdgyBrah>
I wonder what the pre-requisites will be.
Canada observing this and thinking "it s murrkan and retarded, let's copy it".

917r7Tukf6L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

This great documentary predicted most of that shit.
Mike Judge really is a comedic genius

If it's an elective, who cares. Universities have been bilking students for decades with comically useless social science / arts / soft science courses
I took a juggling class in college. Another elective was Star Trek. We watched the old Star Trek shows, and the teacher broke them down. That was my favorite class, smoke a bowl, then go into class and watch some Star Trek.
gorn_zpsf9187f68.gif

I did average to below average in High School anglochemistry so I’m thinking about trying this course out. My 4% African genetics just couldnt comprehend the whiteness of it all

58743099ad9fc1468d51a119dc222151.jpg

wat-Copy.jpg

don't get mad. this is the course, right? they need one based around black stereotypes cause "blacks can't do the white man's chemistry", right?
If that black man was the one to remove the seeds from the watermelon I applaud him

let us know when they start using greeks, scandinavians, and russians as a wedge to break the country.

the sheer amount of victim/victimizer ideology and racism (against both whites and blacks) that's packed into this course is nuts. you will see the same outcry if it's about sex or sexuality.

Glaciers, gender, and science: A feminist glaciology framework for global environmental change research​

"wahhhhhh, the study of glaciers is too patriarchal. we gotta decolonize it and see it through a feminist lens. it can't just be a man's world, women are different and see things differently and there needs to be feminist producers of knowledge, that way we can address the inequities in glaciology".

same cancer.
But no one is using these things to wedge break the country except the people who keep telling you that "They're trying to wedge break the country!!"

When I was in college I took an elective on blaxploitation film. I needed a liberal arts credit, I didn't want to wake up early and the idea of watching movies for a class seemed like an easy A. It was taught by a TA or grad student, someone who needed the teaching experience and was probably using it to pay for their grad school.

Nowadays, someone would jump on the internet going insane about how the blaxploitation course wastes university resources, drives a wedge between people, asking "why do they need a blaxploitation course anyway, can't it be covered in a regular film class", and host of other empty bullshit that serves no purpose but to, as you put it, create a "wedge to break up the country".

But at the time? No one fucking cared. It was a one semester class, it filled a requirement and was unlikely to be filled up like other courses.

To me, it was as valuable as the random "Sports & Economics" course I took another year. Meaning it didn't fuck matter so long as it helped me meet my course load requirements.

Wedge, lol. Think about this question: If no one brought your attention to this course being offered at probably 1 university in the entire world -- how would it have been used as a wedge? It fucking wouldn't. You nor I wouldn't know it existed. But someone, somewhere out there, found this non-issue course and is making you pay attention to it.

Who's more likely to be trying to drive a wedge in the country? The people at the university who offered the course? Or the people who are using it to fuel social media engagements?

I don’t even understand the description in the article. It sounds like a generous way of saying this is chemistry for dummies.
more like chemistry course for suckers

As usual, I came looking for the molehill that inevitably underpins these mountainous threads.

Not a requirement for the major. 15 student max enrollment. Sounds like any generic dumb college elective.

It's not even the worst college elective I've ever read about:

But it mentions race so here we go...

As usual, I knew you'd be in here trying to spin this lmao

citizen-kane-clapping-gif.gif

https://dailycaller.com/2024/01/10/prestigious-rice-university-afrochemistry-class-chemistry/

Rice University, a prestigious academic institution, is currently offering a course on “Afrochemistry” that seeks to address “inequities in chemistry and chemical education.”

According to an online course schedule and catalog, this chemistry class has no final exam and goes from Jan. 8 to April 19, 2024.

“Students will apply chemical tools and analysis to understand Black life in the U.S. and students will implement African American sensibilities to analyze chemistry,” a course description from the catalog noted. “Diverse historical and contemporary scientists, intellectuals, and chemical discoveries will inform personal reflections and proposals for addressing inequities in chemistry and chemical education. This course will be accessible to students from a variety of backgrounds including STEM and non-STEM disciplines. No prior knowledge of chemistry or African American studies is required for engagement in this course.”

Will this lead to any scientific breakthroughs? <EdgyBrah>
I wonder what the pre-requisites will be.

giphy.webp

Back