Social Rice University Offers ‘Afrochemistry’ Class To Address ‘Inequities In Chemistry’

Spounman

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://dailycaller.com/2024/01/10/prestigious-rice-university-afrochemistry-class-chemistry/

Rice University, a prestigious academic institution, is currently offering a course on “Afrochemistry” that seeks to address “inequities in chemistry and chemical education.”

According to an online course schedule and catalog, this chemistry class has no final exam and goes from Jan. 8 to April 19, 2024.

“Students will apply chemical tools and analysis to understand Black life in the U.S. and students will implement African American sensibilities to analyze chemistry,” a course description from the catalog noted. “Diverse historical and contemporary scientists, intellectuals, and chemical discoveries will inform personal reflections and proposals for addressing inequities in chemistry and chemical education. This course will be accessible to students from a variety of backgrounds including STEM and non-STEM disciplines. No prior knowledge of chemistry or African American studies is required for engagement in this course.”

Will this lead to any scientific breakthroughs? <EdgyBrah>
I wonder what the pre-requisites will be.

917r7Tukf6L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

This great documentary predicted most of that shit.

No real big issue. It's seems like an intro class. I took a look at their catalog. They have chemistry of cooking and chemistry of art. I would take that class. I took two semesters of organic chemistry and physical chemistry when I was in school. It would be nice to chill and sit in a class where the max capacity is 15 students.

If it's an elective, who cares. Universities have been bilking students for decades with comically useless social science / arts / soft science courses
Not sure about this particular university, but many universities receive government funding, and virtually all universities are propped up by taxpayers due to how student loans are handled. Universities/colleges have skyrocketed their tuition fees as a result. So these overly bloated programs and offerings are really just enriching the post-secondary bureaucracies at the expense of student's money, as well as the taxpayers'.

Not sure about this particular university, but many universities receive government funding, and virtually all universities are propped up by taxpayers due to how student loans are handled. Universities/colleges have skyrocketed their tuition fees as a result. So these overly bloated programs and offerings are really just enriching the post-secondary bureaucracies at the expense of student's money, as well as the taxpayers'.
They have to fulfil some quotas. They don't get additional funding if they don't have these programs either. The real issue with high cost of tuition aren't really these programs or the teaching faculty but rather why the administrative staff is so big. For this small 15 person class; a dean/administrator needs to be appointed to be in charge of this program.

As usual, I came looking for the molehill that inevitably underpins these mountainous threads.

Not a requirement for the major. 15 student max enrollment. Sounds like any generic dumb college elective.

It's not even the worst college elective I've ever read about:

But it mentions race so here we go...

Well it's a private school in the US, so I think it's public funding is going towards research grants not course offerings. I agree all student loans should be the onus of the borrower.

But these puff courses have been offered for decades, this one is getting attention because of the racial spin, but it's on par with other throw away courses.

No real big issue. It's seems like an intro class. I took a look at their catalog. They have chemistry of cooking and chemistry of art. I would take that class. I took two semesters of organic chemistry and physical chemistry when I was in school. It would be nice to chill and sit in a class where the max capacity is 15 students.
I just think we don’t need to inject race into everything, even Neil deGrasse Tyson turns down these universities during black history month when he gets invited.

Back