Media Revisiting Poatan vs Jan

Round 3 begins and it looks a lot like the beginning of round 2. Poatan is digging into Jan's leg and its visibly damaged. Jan lands a nice right hand - body kick combo at 4:13 into the round. Not a whole lot happening besides that but with 2 minutes left in the round DC says, "Jan is having his moments in this round and this round is by no means a run away round for Alex"
This sentence means Alex is winning but is not out of Jan's ability to steal.

The fight goes to a split decision and Alex is given the win. Jan arguably won this fight IMO.
Arguably, huh? Yeah, let's revisit that sentence later.

The third round was a lot like the beginning of the 2nd round- not a whole lot of action but Alex didn't do anything in that round which made it clear that he won. If anything the round was pretty even until Jan took him down and finished the round in top position.
So it wasn't "clear" that he won the round, which, to you, means he clearly lost? And no, you JUST used a quote by DC in your analysis which clearly states Alex was ahead before the take down, not "even"

So how exactly did Jan lose a fight in which he clearly won rounds 1 and round 3? The only round I gave to Alex was round 2 but even in that round Jan landed the better shots and got a takedown.

I don't see how Jan lost this fight.
So how exactly do you take phrases like "Jan arguably won" and "Poatan didn't clearly win the round" translate to "Jan clearly won and I don't see how he lost"

Alex didn't do shit in that round either. Even DC who's extremely biased towards Alex said "this round is by no means a run away round for Alex."

If both guys do nothing but one guy gets a takedown then he should win that round.
Ah ok, there's the problem. You don't know what those words mean

And here you are in giant shoes honking your nose at us

I had it for Pereira barely with 2/3. I still think people were way too happy to move on from this fight and not look back. However it does show holes in Pereira's game. Especially when considering Ankalaev and HW division. He passed the grappling test, but I'm not entirely confident Pereira would have won if Jan had a better gas tank for grappling.

close fight, zero robbery.

Jan r1, Alex r2, close r3, but I dont think Jan did enough to take it. it could have been either a draw or a confirmed Alex win. I guess sig strikes was the criteria there.

If this was a 5 rounder Alex would have probably finished Jan, who was a zombie in the end. Couldnt even throw from top position.

I have no idea how a legit black belt at that size couldn't finish poatan from back mount...
Jan's ground game has never been that great. Really the only fight it looked solid in was his fight versus Adesanya. I think a huge part of that was the size difference, Jan was kind of able to bully him with his size and strength advantages.
Other than that he has not looked great on the ground, was manhandled by Gustafson and Glover.

Jan shot a panic double in the second. Did absolutely nothing with the last minute TD in the 3rd. He was Alex’s punching and kicking bag in the second and most of the 3rd.

Jan’s rnc attempt in the first wasn’t even close. If anything, Alex’s gilly threat was tighter.

Jan just blew his wad trying to sub Alex in the first and then couldn’t do anything in the remaining rounds but panic wrestle.

Judges got it right.

1789AC17-FA4A-4112-BB05-374D09DCAE6A.jpeg

The only robbery in the Jan / Poatan flight was the one that happened to the fans stuck watching that garbage.

I like how people say Jan did nothing with some takedowns but it's not like Alex was destroying Jan when he got up.
Also, laying on top of someone is still better than being layed on even if someone doesn't do anything with it since Alex wasn't doing much from the bottom either I think. Unless I'm wrong then apologies.

It was a close fight. I thought Jan edged it but I love Pereira too so I'm not mad.

I thought jan edged it live, but his body language made things look far worse than they really were. Also, I don't think he won only because of the takedowns -- where as poatan landed mostly body jabs and low kicks, i thought jan landed better to the head and jan did manage to check his share of kicks and land his own kicks as well on top of the tskedowns

Round 1 begins and Jan immediately gets into the clinch. Alex tries to go for a guillotine but Jan turns the corner and takes him down and almost instantly takes his back. Poatan looks somewhat lost. Jan gets the body triangle and comes close to submitting Alex a couple times but Alex hand fights his way out of it and the round ends. Easy round for Jan.

Round 2 begins and the fighters are patient. A lot of catch and counter attempts from both guys but not a whole lot of action. Alex digs into Jan's lead leg with some heavy calve kicks and Jan lands some decent kicks of his own and lands some very good punches with 3:25 left in the round. These were the best punches landed in this round IMO because they landed clean.

Poatan tries to return fire and Jan changes levels on him and easily takes him down. Jan controls Alex for about a minute and a half and then Alex gets back to his feet with 2 minutes left in the round. Jan is visibly tired and Poatan starts pressuring him with punches but nothing lands super clean. A lot of these shots don't land flush and catch Jan on his arms as he covers up.

Jan goes for a weak takedown and gets stuffed and Poatan keeps pushing the action trying to hurt Jan but is unable to land anything truly devastating. Jan is clearly very tired and the round ends. If Jan didn't look so tired he would have easily won this round because he landed the cleaner punches and got a takedown. If there was a round Alex won in this fight it would be this one.

Round 3 begins and it looks a lot like the beginning of round 2. Poatan is digging into Jan's leg and its visibly damaged. Jan lands a nice right hand - body kick combo at 4:13 into the round. Not a whole lot happening besides that but with 2 minutes left in the round DC says, "Jan is having his moments in this round and this round is by no means a run away round for Alex"

Both men look tired now and Jan lands a few low kicks and takes Alex down pretty easily again with 45 seconds remaining in the round and stays on top until the fight ends.

The fight goes to a split decision and Alex is given the win. Jan arguably won this fight IMO. He took Alex down in every round. He dominated Alex in the first and nearly submitted him. He landed the cleaner shots in round 2 and took Alex down in that round again. He also took Poatan's best shots when he was dead tired and was never badly hurt.

Alex finished round 2 stronger because Jan gassed himself out a bit but Alex didn't do much damage compared to his other fights where he melts guys. Most of the damage done by Alex was done to Jan's lead leg.

The third round was a lot like the beginning of the 2nd round- not a whole lot of action but Alex didn't do anything in that round which made it clear that he won.If anything the round was pretty even until Jan took him down and finished the round in top position.

So how exactly did Jan lose a fight in which he clearly won rounds 1 and round 3? The only round I gave to Alex was round 2 but even in that round Jan landed the better shots and got a takedown.

If you use the fight finder you can see how he lost, the judges scored it for Poatan

Even with people from Poland coming out in droves to try to rig the results for Jan, an overwhelming majority of viewers thought Alex won Round 3.

Screenshot-20240712-095727.png

Round 1 begins and Jan immediately gets into the clinch. Alex tries to go for a guillotine but Jan turns the corner and takes him down and almost instantly takes his back. Poatan looks somewhat lost. Jan gets the body triangle and comes close to submitting Alex a couple times but Alex hand fights his way out of it and the round ends. Easy round for Jan.

Round 2 begins and the fighters are patient. A lot of catch and counter attempts from both guys but not a whole lot of action. Alex digs into Jan's lead leg with some heavy calve kicks and Jan lands some decent kicks of his own and lands some very good punches with 3:25 left in the round. These were the best punches landed in this round IMO because they landed clean.

Poatan tries to return fire and Jan changes levels on him and easily takes him down. Jan controls Alex for about a minute and a half and then Alex gets back to his feet with 2 minutes left in the round. Jan is visibly tired and Poatan starts pressuring him with punches but nothing lands super clean. A lot of these shots don't land flush and catch Jan on his arms as he covers up.

Jan goes for a weak takedown and gets stuffed and Poatan keeps pushing the action trying to hurt Jan but is unable to land anything truly devastating. Jan is clearly very tired and the round ends. If Jan didn't look so tired he would have easily won this round because he landed the cleaner punches and got a takedown. If there was a round Alex won in this fight it would be this one.

Both men look tired now and Jan lands a few low kicks and takes Alex down pretty easily again with 45 seconds remaining in the round and stays on top until the fight ends.

The fight goes to a split decision and Alex is given the win. Jan arguably won this fight IMO. He took Alex down in every round. He dominated Alex in the first and nearly submitted him. He landed the cleaner shots in round 2 and took Alex down in that round again. He also took Poatan's best shots when he was dead tired and was never badly hurt.

Alex finished round 2 stronger because Jan gassed himself out a bit but Alex didn't do much damage compared to his other fights where he melts guys. Most of the damage done by Alex was done to Jan's lead leg.

The third round was a lot like the beginning of the 2nd round- not a whole lot of action but Alex didn't do anything in that round which made it clear that he won.If anything the round was pretty even until Jan took him down and finished the round in top position.

Well at least you actually went back to watch the fight. I respect that.

More than most tend to do

It was a close fight, but ultimately Jan wasn't able to accomplish as much as he needed to on the ground. He did no damage, every position and submission attempt was defended.

I don't think that sub in the first was close, it looked like it, but Alex was defending his neck and controlling the wrists well.

Ultimately, Alex did more damage on the feet.

Damage is a big part of scoring these days, as it should be.

It should be said that Jan is really underrated too. He's got these giant meat tubes as legs that just absorb punishment like it's nothing. It's an edge against these high level kickers that most don't have.

I think he Izzy even hurt himself trying to kick Jan iirc.

He's just a good all around fighter and has been around so long that he's crafty too, every move he makes is very smart.

I'd argue he also beat ankalaev

I have no idea how a legit black belt at that size couldn't finish poatan from back mount...
Drilling with Glover day in, day out is the answer.

They prepared for every aspect of his game by someone who could mirror the same positions on a higher level.

You can tell he trained hard on his Jiu Jitsu, the difference from Izzy to Jan was substantial.

Overall Alex defended very well, so well that I would say his Jiu Jitsu is being underrated. Jan isn't a joke on the ground.

Drilling with Glover day in, day out is the answer.

They prepared for every aspect of his game by someone who could mirror the same positions on a higher level.

You can tell he trained hard on his Jiu Jitsu, the difference from Izzy to Jan was substantial.

Overall Alex defended very well, so well that I would say his Jiu Jitsu is being underrated. Jan isn't a joke on the ground.
Alex focusing on exactly what he needs to. Like Wanderlei before him.

His defensive grappling is enough to survive and get back to his feet. If it sucked, then it wouldnt be enough to survive.
It's gotta be better than enough to survive against Jan imo.

I think Jan would tap a lot of purple belts in a similar position.

Alex has no offensive game to speak of, but defensively he does everything right.

Reactions: HHJ
His defensive grappling is enough to survive and get back to his feet. If it sucked, then it wouldnt be enough to survive.

He's fighting guys with mids grappling so it's enough.

Back