Revisiting Lennox Lewis v Vitali Klitschko (2003)

I don't like arguing.

I'll lay my cards on the table. I'm pro Lewis, he boxed Vitalis face off. Pretending we know what is going on in people's heads when it isn't as obvious as McCall crying is stupid.

The cut was opened by a grasing right hand with Lewis holding Vit by the neck, illegal in WBC or any organisation. The stats of the fight show Vit landed much more, so claims Lewis boxed better, don't think so.

I like both of these fighters. Not massive on either but as it was, a stoppage wins a godamn fight.
Theres been a million fights where 1 guy was winning and got KOd or stopped by cuts. Theyve still lost the fight. Theres not really an argument...

The cut was opened by a grasing right hand with Lewis holding Vit by the neck, illegal in WBC or any organisation. The stats of the fight show Vit landed much more, so claims Lewis boxed better, don't think so.

which of the three separate fight ending cuts was this? I don't think anyone claims lewis boxed better, but a stoppage wins a fight and the early rounds weren't as one sided as some like to make out.

I don't like arguing.

I'll lay my cards on the table. I'm pro Lewis, he boxed Vitalis face off. Pretending we know what is going on in people's heads when it isn't as obvious as McCall crying is stupid.

He just fought and beat the only 2 fighters worth fighting in the division, both legends. He retired straight afetr the Klit fight and also advised after Tyson he was looking at retiring. He's pretty much said it himself so Im not guessing what is going on in his head

I didn't say you were. I was addressing the guy that won't leave me alone.

we need a poll!

^ You're way oversimplifying.

Where's your evidence that Lewis' heart wasn't in there? I could also say that Muhammad Ali had no heart throughout his career. But can I prove it? I can only judge what I see, and what I saw was Lewis getting outboxed.

By the way, I usually don't sit in the Klitschko row. When you read this thread, you'll notice that most people are pro-Lewis. So I don't know where that "Lewis hatred, nobody likes him because he's jamaican / british whatever" statement comes from.

Of course it is speculation to a point but he did state he was retiring after Tyson. He was 37, he had no one else to beat, vitali was just a lump at the time, he still is now! Oh and he retired straight after the fight. Is that a guy whose heart is stop in he sport, wha do you think.

With regards to him not being liked I can only talk about in his country! I've boxed for over 20 years so a lot of my mates are also boxers and obviously have an opinion! Most didn't see him as British so didn't care for him. It took him a long time to be accepted and by many he never was. Most wanted frank Bruno to win when they fought, that fckin says it all

which of the three separate fight ending cuts was this? I don't think anyone claims lewis boxed better, but a stoppage wins a fight and the early rounds weren't as one sided as some like to make out.

Eye opens here, pretty much see the blood pissing out the eye from an illegal hit and hold shot in the slow mo. If Lewis out boxed the guy he'd have followed through on the rematch for $50m

thecuts.gif
hot and hold

Eye opens here, pretty much see the blood pissing out the eye from an illegal hit and hold shot in the slow mo. If Lewis out boxed the guy he'd have followed through on the rematch for $50m

thecuts.gif
hot and hold

It look like Klitschko was already bleeding when Lewis landed that punch in the clinch. Also, Lewis had a free hand to punch with which is legal. Hardly like he was holding Vitali's head.

I haven't watched the fight in a while, but I remember the replay of Lewis landing a clean, although slightly grazing right hand and the seam of his glove tore open Klitschko's eye. At least the first one. Unfortunate for Vitali, but not illegal.

If anything this fight was good for Vitali. He erased the events of the Byrd fight.

thecuts.gif
hot and hold

Thats not really holding and hitting. Lewis has his arm behind Vitali's head, but its clearly loose. He's not holding and hitting there.

Thats not really holding and hitting. Lewis has his arm behind Vitali's head, but its clearly loose. He's not holding and hitting there.

To Seano's point, if this is legal

guerrero467.jpg

Lewis' punch was legal.

THAT is not legal.

It wasn't legal and he did it throughout the fight: constant holding around the neck but not one warning from the useless midget of a referee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back