Revisiting Lennox Lewis v Vitali Klitschko (2003)

Lennox ducking the rematch was a knock on his so called "legacy".

Are you being serious? Lennox didn't even owe Vitali the fight in the first place let alone a rematch. Respect Lennox Lewis. The guy was greater than Vitali any day in his prime.

No it wasn't. He was 37 took the fight on 2 weeks notice and stopped him. Lennox hate is strong on the forums. How often does a mid rounds stoppage warrant immediate rematches? Especially when you're way post prime and looking to retire anyway?

No it wasn't. He was 37 took the fight on 2 weeks notice and stopped him. Lennox hate is strong on the forums. How often does a mid rounds stoppage warrant immediate rematches? Especially when you're way post prime and looking to retire anyway?

Vitali took the fight on two weeks notice also. Only difference is that Lennox was preparing for a fight anyway, while Vitali stays in shape all year.

I don't see any evidence that Lennox was past his prime besides looking bad against Vitali. Further on Vitali today is dominating at 40+ and Wladimir is 37.

The main reason for an immediate rematch was the demand from the people. The fight was good, the champion was losing and retained the belt at the end. Was he really the best heavyweight in 2003? People wanted to know. It was much more needed than a Evander-Lewis rematch after Lennox won their first fight fair and square.

He stopped him.

You know. Finished way before 12 rounds.

Nearly boxed his eye out.

Tko.

Stoppage win.

Comparing today's squad of fighters vs what Lennox was fighting (eg Vitali) is lulz.

Lennox wasn't fighting Albert Sosnowski or Jean Marc Mormeck etc

So your evidence is Lennox' age? Ok, but I didn't see in the ring that he was shot.

I didn't say that bud.

Lennox nearly took Vitalis head off so no question I his beard. You obviously didn't follow his earlier career.

Sure, I did. Lennox' style changed when Steward came in, similar to what happened to Wladimir's style. He would've fought a different fight against Bruno in 1993 if he had Steward at that time already.

I'm not a Lennox hater at all, he has a fantastic resume. I just don't believe he ever defeated Vitali, period. I don't think anyone ever defeated Vitali Klitschko, and IMO Vitali is the best heavyweight of the past 15 years - I'm aware most posters here don't agree with that.

Btw: What is your evidence that Lennox was past his prime? In 2003 he took Vitali to boxing school, as you claim.

He stopped him. I didn't say take to school. When someone gets stopped and you claim a wins you's trollin.

Trollin? Is it internet related only? I've had multiple discussions in amateur boxing clubs about that fight, some agreed some disagreed, but nobody took it personal. Have a nice day, bore-drain fish.

One more comment to this here:

How often does a mid rounds stoppage warrant immediate rematches? Especially when you're way post prime and looking to retire anyway?

Lennox was saying before the fight "I'll have Wladimir for breakfast, Vitali for dinner", something along those lines. Sounds pretty hungry to me. Of course his tone got more subdued post-fight.

Sure, I did. Lennox' style changed when Steward came in, similar to what happened to Wladimir's style. He would've fought a different fight against Bruno in 1993 if he had Steward at that time already.

I'm not a Lennox hater at all, he has a fantastic resume. I just don't believe he ever defeated Vitali, period. I don't think anyone ever defeated Vitali Klitschko, and IMO Vitali is the best heavyweight of the past 15 years - I'm aware most posters here don't agree with that.

Btw: What is your evidence that Lennox was past his prime? In 2003 he took Vitali to boxing school, as you claim.

Do you also not believe in math, the sun and the internal combustion engine?

Sarcasm is pushing every discussion to the moon. Keep swaggin, Jack.

You've really hooked a lot of people here. Keep trying.

I've had this discussion at several chess clubs and they had Kasparov ko3 :rolleyes:

You've really hooked a lot of people here. Keep trying.

I've had this discussion at several chess clubs and they had Kasparov ko3 :rolleyes:

4-5 sherdog users - I'll go to hell, heeeeelp. Please, you're always looking for users who disagree with you, then you hope to get some more users on your side so you can batter one individual user with highly intelligent sarcasm mixed with funny gif's.

I always argue my own side mate. Always have. I have no idea who I have battered round here with help I just say what I think. I think you're wrong here. I've said it, send in the cavalry.

I seem to remember being hounded in several threads for being in the minority. That's what happens in forums.

And I always try to add to discussion and keep it light hearted. This forum got grumpy lately.

How the fuck is this thread still going. Vitali could have lost an eye, next thread...

It does hurt his legacy, just because Lennox opened him up doesn't mean he wasn't getting beat up, oh how Lennox likes to remind us of the state of Vitalis face. The greats do not leave unfinished business , end of. He was out of shape? thats his problem! the rematch obviously should have happened, then even with Wlad. Could you imagine Ali doin this? and Foreman has the red neck to put Lewis ahead of him in the atg, what an arse.

It does hurt his legacy, just because Lennox opened him up doesn't mean he wasn't getting beat up, oh how Lennox likes to remind us of the state of Vitalis face. The greats do not leave unfinished business , end of. He was out of shape? thats his problem! the rematch obviously should have happened, then even with Wlad. Could you imagine Ali doin this? and Foreman has the red neck to put Lewis ahead of him in the atg, what an arse.

It's fairly obvious what you've been doing the last few days.

Back