Revisiting Lennox Lewis v Vitali Klitschko (2003)

look at the state of his face tho

the doctor did and said he well had enough of this bollocks,no man is going to lose an eye on his watch

It does hurt his legacy, just because Lennox opened him up doesn't mean he wasn't getting beat up, oh how Lennox likes to remind us of the state of Vitalis face. The greats do not leave unfinished business , end of. He was out of shape? thats his problem! the rematch obviously should have happened, then even with Wlad. Could you imagine Ali doin this? and Foreman has the red neck to put Lewis ahead of him in the atg, what an arse.

Can I imagine Ali hanging around the sport too long , is a better question.

That fight helped vitalis career more than hurt it..up to that point ppl would refer to him as quitter cause of the Byrd fight I think? Either way this fight showed his heart

That fight helped vitalis career more than hurt it..up to that point ppl would refer to him as quitter cause of the Byrd fight I think? Either way this fight showed his heart

With Lennox out of the picture, the heavyweight division was a free path for Vitali to conquer. I also think the Lennox fight gave Vitali a ton of confidence and he learned a tremendous amount from that experience and gained worldwide fame overnight in the boxing world.

Last edited:
It was a great fight, and a shame they couldn't match up again with full preparation. They came to throw leather and that's what happened. I shake my head every time I think of this fight. It was beautiful and a shame at the same time. If ever a fight screamed rematch, this was it! (Well... Foreman-Ali anyone?) Oh well, solid fight for both guys and a fun one.

It was a great fight, and a shame they couldn't match up again with full preparation. They came to throw leather and that's what happened. I shake my head every time I think of this fight. It was beautiful and a shame at the same time. If ever a fight screamed rematch, this was it! (Well... Foreman-Ali anyone?) Oh well, solid fight for both guys and a fun one.

That may be the only time I've ever heard a call for a rematch of the rumble in the jungle. Am I wrong?

Well. I ain't that old. But I always wondered why Ali-Frazier happened 3 times and Ali-Foreman once. Experienced fighter outfoxes a hungry unpolished younger one. Younger one learns a lesson, but never gets another shot.

Ali-Foreman
Vitali-Lewis

Lennox was essentially retired prior to this fight and was supposed to be fighting Kirk Johnson.

Anyone that says this isn't a legit TKO win for Lewis is foolish.

Vitali couldn't beat a fighter that was in essence already retitred and not motivated for the fight. Lewis lost the other 2 fights he didn't take seriously. He Had the early rounds but the stoppage was correct (he need 60 stiches) and lewis was landing the uppercut at will in the last round. Vitali was getting KOd if he ate many more. Both Lewis and Holyfield would've schooled and KOd Wlad in their primes imo. 2 Great fighters where as Wlad is a very smart fighter but ruling a piss poor division; as bad as its ever been

Lets get right down the point of what this is really about....as a British man with Jamaican parents who spent his teenage years growing up in Canada, Lennox was never loved by the people of the country where the money was, America.

Fans, commentators and the whole American boxing community in general was always against him and willing him to fail. The politics in boxing in America kept him out of the title picture for a long time whilst he was the best the whole time, but eventually he could not be ignored any longer.

The bias shown against him says everything. Lennox never ducked a man in his life but when he beat Tyson and Holyfield when he eventually was allowed the big fights the 'out of prime' excuses came. When an obviously out of shape, past his prime Lennox Lewis with one foot out the door in to retirement loses a few rounds on his way to stopping the next best boxer out there, the whole country explodes with bias bull shit and commemorators act like complete jack asses. 'Out of prime' doesn't come in to it then.

Lennox has said it himself, he was behind on the scorecards but he wasn't in there to win a decision. He turned Vitali's face in to one of the worst states seen in a boxing ring with three fight ending cuts. If the doctor had let it continue Vitali could have gone blind.

Facts are facts;

He beat every man he ever faced.
He never ducked anyone
He's the last undisputed heavyweight champion of the world

The only tarnish on Lewis' legacy is the sad little pricks that flat out refuse to accept the obvious; he was the greatest heavyweight boxer of his era.

Ugh...I had a $100 on Vitali at 7-1 in his fight against Lennox.

Lets get right down the point of what this is really about....as a British man with Jamaican parents who spent his teenage years growing up in Canada, Lennox was never loved by the people of the country where the money was, America.

Fans, commentators and the whole American boxing community in general was always against him and willing him to fail. The politics in boxing in America kept him out of the title picture for a long time whilst he was the best the whole time, but eventually he could not be ignored any longer.

The bias shown against him says everything. Lennox never ducked a man in his life but when he beat Tyson and Holyfield when he eventually was allowed the big fights the 'out of prime' excuses came. When an obviously out of shape, past his prime Lennox Lewis with one foot out the door in to retirement loses a few rounds on his way to stopping the next best boxer out there, the whole country explodes with bias bull shit and commemorators act like complete jack asses. 'Out of prime' doesn't come in to it then.

Lennox has said it himself, he was behind on the scorecards but he wasn't in there to win a decision. He turned Vitali's face in to one of the worst states seen in a boxing ring with three fight ending cuts. If the doctor had let it continue Vitali could have gone blind.

Facts are facts;

He beat every man he ever faced.
He never ducked anyone
He's the last undisputed heavyweight champion of the world

The only tarnish on Lewis' legacy is the sad little pricks that flat out refuse to accept the obvious; he was the greatest heavyweight boxer of his era.

Good Post. I'd agree that he was the best HW since a prime Tyson, by a country mile. He was never really accepted by a large section of the british public either, though I was a big big fan. I rinsed my mates who would always bacjk against him, especially in the holyfield/tyson fight (made

You must have low confidence if other people's opinion are bugging you that much. I also highly doubt that you can judge a persons characteristics based on their opinion on boxing / sports.

Mike Tyson WAS way out of his prime, he was further away from his prime than Lennox in 2003.
Holyfield, it's a fact that the Riddick Bowe fights took a lot out of him. I wish him and Lennox would've met earlier. The rematch showed Holyfield's tactical strenghts.

You must have low confidence if other people's opinion are bugging you that much. I also highly doubt that you can judge a persons characteristics based on their opinion on boxing / sports.

Mike Tyson WAS way out of his prime, he was further away from his prime than Lennox in 2003.
Holyfield, it's a fact that the Riddick Bowe fights took a lot out of him. I wish him and Lennox would've met earlier. The rematch showed Holyfield's tactical strenghts.

Tactical strengths?????He still got beat handidly! Lennox was just a superior fighter throughout his career.

Who said it bugged me so much? It kind of bugs me as a fan of Lennox that people try to deny his legacy...but don't make out I lose sleep over it bro, it's an internet forum and I'm giving an opinion.

I didn't deny Tyson and Holyfield were not past their primes, I'm a fan of both guys also. The points being made were 1. that the same people who harp on about the past the prime argument with those guys ignore it in the case of Vitali vs Lewis because the boots on the other foot 2. Had Lennox been snapped up by Don King in his mid 20s he would have probably have fought Tyson earlier...it's not really his fault boxing politics delayed the fight and kept him down.

Good Post. I'd agree that he was the best HW since a prime Tyson, by a country mile. He was never really accepted by a large section of the british public either, though I was a big big fan. I rinsed my mates who would always bacjk against him, especially in the holyfield/tyson fight (made

he was 37 at that time, more than a year layoff 2 weeks to prepare and he was winning prior to the stoppage, even floyd mayweather was losing to shane in the second round before he took over, same with the great lennox once he knew how to deal with vitali he was winning deal with it. Lennox showed heart even if he was really wobbly in the second round.

Nice one for rinsing the cash lol. That's the problem with people who don't really know the fight game, they eat the shit the promoters put out and believe the hype without really knowing the fighters. You exploited it and were

^ You're way oversimplifying.

Where's your evidence that Lewis' heart wasn't in there? I could also say that Muhammad Ali had no heart throughout his career. But can I prove it? I can only judge what I see, and what I saw was Lewis getting outboxed.

By the way, I usually don't sit in the Klitschko row. When you read this thread, you'll notice that most people are pro-Lewis. So I don't know where that "Lewis hatred, nobody likes him because he's jamaican / british whatever" statement comes from.

Back