Respect for Carla Esparza in Her Final UFC Fight—Why I think she should be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame

I can see her in the HOF, but not a fan. She’s just so boring and her personality is pretty bland. Great career. Just a boring fighter.

If wmma had it's own wing, sure. But not wirh the current set up, no. Never defended the title, zero fight of the year nominations, zero sub of the year, zero ko of the year, below .500 finishing rate, no real memorable performances. Her entire career isn't really that remarkable, she doesn't have a single remarkable defining moment and she can walk any street and go unnoticed.
Agreed. From 2010 to now there is probably at least 20 fighters more deserving if not 25. If they only plan on doing 1 or 2 fighters a year than she shouldn't get in like you said on the current setup.

Almost all the best strawweights in the world at the time were in fact in that season of TUF.

The only two 'big names' not on it commonly said to be 'the real #1 strawweight' at that time were Jessica Aguilar who was exposed as a can when she got to the UFC, and Claudia Gadelha who did OK in the UFC.
Aguilar literally has a win over Esparza, also two over the legend Fujii. She was legit, just washed by the time she got to the UFC. Gadelha would have wiped the floor with anyone on that season of TUF. Joanna was also ranked above everyone on that season. As we now know, for good reason.

It's like Nicco Montana being a champion, she didn't actually beat the best fighters in the world to get it.

She did more than become champ.
She did it twice
And was the first SW champ
She is PIONEER of WMMA
She won the Ultimate Fighter
Has an amazing resume filled with high level name
And did this while being a division size smaller than all of her opponents

She is not a pioneer of wmma. Of the UFC strawweight division yes, but wmma existed before it got to the UFC. Megumi Fujii is a pioneer of wmma, a name that isn't talked about enough. Wmma was going strong in Strikeforce and Bellator years before it got to the UFC.

There are some awfully suspect fighters and individuals in general in the UFC HOF; Carla would be one of the more deserving. She is a pioneer and multiple time champ. She isn't very exciting compared to some other women but she was part of the history of the sport and a multi-time champ.
completely agreed.
hell, Mask from the TapOut crew has a spot in the UFC HoF. I think they could manage a spot for Carla as well.

She is not a pioneer of wmma. Of the UFC strawweight division yes, but wmma existed before it got to the UFC. Megumi Fujii is a pioneer of wmma, a name that isn't talked about enough. Wmma was going strong in Strikeforce and Bellator years before it got to the UFC.
Well she is in the UFC

And this is the UFC HOF I’m talking about

Carla Esparza is like the 2 Girls 1 Cup of WMMA

You see that name and you know you are about to see someone get shit on.

UFC should open up the most unwatchable fighters wing in the HOF, Carla would fit right in

She is a 105 fighter fighting up a weight class. I don't think she is going to make it to the HOF.

completely agreed.
hell, Mask from the TapOut crew has a spot in the UFC HoF. I think they could manage a spot for Carla as well.
Why would Mask not be in the hall of fame? I know this is the go to to shit on the hall of fame but he did a lot for young, up and coming fighters. He looked ridiculous but he did a lot for mma

View attachment 1065369

Alright, listen up, Sherbums. I know most of you love to trash Carla Esparza, but it’s about time we put some respect on her name. I’ve seen the constant disrespect for years, and it’s downright ridiculous.

Carla Esparza has been one of the most consistent fighters in the UFC, and guess what? She’s not only great—she deserves to be in the UFC Hall of Fame. That’s right, while some of you are busy trolling, she’s out here making history.

So, before you dismiss her in her final UFC fight, let’s break down why you should be giving her props.

Why should Esparza be respected?

1. First-Ever UFC Strawweight Champion and Winner of The Ultimate Fighter: Let’s not forget, Carla made history by not only becoming the first UFC Strawweight Champion, but she won The Ultimate Fighter to do it. She fought through a stacked tournament, beating fighters like Angela Hill, Tecia Torres, and Jessica Penne, before defeating Rose Namajunas in the finale to claim the belt. That was no easy feat, and it set the tone for the entire division.

2. A True Undersized Warrior: At 5’1” with a 63-inch reach, Carla Esparza is one of the smallest fighters in the strawweight division. She’s essentially an atomweight competing against much larger strawweights. In nearly every fight, she was overpowered and outstrengthed, but her technical skills, fight IQ, and heart allowed her to secure victories against bigger, stronger opponents. The fact that she consistently pulled off wins against high-caliber fighters despite this physical disadvantage makes her career even more impressive.

3. Pioneer in Women’s MMA: Before the UFC had a women’s strawweight division, Carla Esparza was already competing at a high level. She became the Invicta FC Strawweight Champion in 2013, long before there was a major stage for women in the 115-pound division. She played a crucial role in paving the way for other women in the sport, helping to establish the strawweight division when there were few opportunities for women’s MMA.

4. Two-Time Champion and Remarkable Comeback: Esparza didn’t just win the belt once—she came back years later to reclaim the title against the odds. After suffering a tough loss to rising star Tatiana Suarez at UFC 228, many thought Esparza’s time at the top was over. Suarez dominated Esparza in that fight, but Carla refused to let that define her career. Despite not being favored by the UFC to return to title contention, Esparza put together an impressive five-fight win streak, eventually earning a rematch with Rose Namajunas at UFC 274, where she reclaimed the strawweight title after nearly 8 years.

5. Notable Wins and Accomplishments of Her Opponents:

• Rose Namajunas (UFC 274 & The Ultimate Fighter 20 Finale): Esparza defeated Namajunas twice, finishing her via submission (rear-naked choke) in their first meeting to become the first-ever UFC Strawweight Champion. In their rematch at UFC 274, Esparza won a close decision to reclaim the belt. Namajunas is a two-time champion and one of the division’s all-time greats, which makes these wins even more impressive.

• Yan Xiaonan (UFC Fight Night 188): Yan was on a 6-fight win streak in the UFC and was considered a top contender before Esparza dominated her and earned a TKO victory.

• Michelle Waterson (UFC 249): Waterson, a former Invicta FC Atomweight Champion, was a formidable opponent known for her striking and creativity in the octagon, but Esparza’s experience prevailed.

• Cynthia Calvillo (UFC 219): Calvillo, an undefeated rising prospect at the time, was thought to be the next big thing in the division, but Esparza showed her veteran savvy and outpointed her in a close fight.

• Alexa Grasso (UFC Fight Night 159): Grasso, now a UFC Flyweight Champion, was an up-and-coming striker when Esparza edged out a decision in a hard-fought battle. Grasso has gone on to become a top contender and current champion at flyweight.

• Marina Rodriguez (UFC on ESPN 14): Rodriguez, a rising star known for her striking, had never been defeated in the UFC before she ran into Esparza, who used her veteran skills to grind out a tough split decision win. Rodriguez is now considered one of the best in the strawweight division.

• Virna Jandiroba (UFC Fight Night 150): Jandiroba, a former Invicta FC Strawweight Champion, was undefeated before she faced Esparza, who handed her the first loss of her career.

A Career That Deserves Respect: Regardless of whether you are a fan or not, Carla’s accomplishments can’t be ignored. She has faced legends, earned her spot, and is now having her last fight. Instead of focusing on criticisms, it’s worth acknowledging her place in UFC history.

What are your thoughts on Carla’s career and how she should be remembered as she exits the sport, Sherbums?

Good post.

Her accomplishments are legit and meaningful. Yes her fight with Rose was generationally bad, but overall I think she'll be inducted.

I was a hard no before you reminded me of her significant achievements, now I'm a soft yes. Sometimes you gotta weigh it up.

With some sports they wait five years before voting, in order to gain perspective. With some it's voted on by sports writers. Don't know how they make that determination with ufc. It's easy to surmise. Apparently some worthy fighters are excluded.

We should do a Sherdog forum HOF based on votes

<DCWhoa>

Back